First season closing credits

minor muppetz

Reaction score
has anybody noticed that in some episodes from the first season, during the ending credits, the credits are scrolling closer to the right of the screen, the guest star is actually credited, and Jim Henson had second billing in the performer credits (behind frank oz), yet in other episodes the credits are shown like they are in other seasons: with the credits scrolling in the center of the screen, the guest star not being listed, and Jim Henson getting last billing in the performer credits?

Does anybody know why this was done?

Slightly off topic, but when I first saw the episodes with Twiggy and Mummenshaz (a year before I first got the internet), I couldn't undertsand how their names were pronounced, and was disapointed that their episodes didn't have their names spelled in the credits.

anathema

Reaction score
It's not specifically the first season :smile:

Episodes with "left-justified" credits are the shows as originally broadcast in the UK. They only have a single break in the middle for commercials and, as you point out, credit the guest star. All 120 shows originally aired in the UK in this format. Actually finding copies of them these days is tricky :smile:

The "centered" credits are the shows prepared for non-UK sales. They have three breaks, the extra ones being just after the opening titles and just before the closing credits, and occasionally omit shots at these points (in the case of the latter, it's typically a shot of the audience applauding the closing act, or Statler and Waldorf passing comment on it).

For whatever reason, the current (English) distribution set of shows consists primarily of these non-UK versions, apart from Season 1 where there's a roughly 50-50 split between UK and non-UK, and also the Harry Belafonte and Chris Langham shows, which are invariably the UK versions.

The French DVDs from a few years ago included the UK versions of a number of shows that normally turn up in non-UK versions, including Mummenschanz and Lena Horne. Comparing the latter with its non-UK counterpart turned up the interesting fact that Statler and Waldorf's comments right at the end of the show are a different recording (same dialog, just a different take) in the two versions.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder why this hasn't been common knowledge before. if it was, then I am surprised that I didn't know about these alternate versions. I wonder which version of the closing credits are on the first season DVD set (my guess is the u.k. version, since Disney used the original british masters)?

I also wonder why Nickleodeon got some of the u.k. versions of these shows. Are the (few first season) episodes (that were released) on the time-life DVDs like this?

anathema

Reaction score
Yes; generally speaking, all copies of the show in circulation today are the non-UK (centered titles) versions. The exceptions are:

Ruth Buzzi
Rita Moreno
Florence Henderson
Candice Bergen
Avery Schreiber
Ben Vereen
Phyllis Diller
Vincent Price
Valerie Harper
Ethel Merman
Harry Belafonte
Chris Langham

...which are commonly found in the UK (left titles) version. Finding copies of the non-UK versions of these shows is about as hard as finding the UK version of any other show :-(

I should imagine that the DVDs contain the usual set of shows; certainly every English-language DVD/VHS release and broadcast I've seen over the last few years has followed this.

Saying "British masters" is a slight misnomer: the show was taped and edited in PAL - that is, both the "left" and "centered" versions were edited in PAL, so PAL tapes exist (or existed) for all 240 shows.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
The shows I've seen so far, from the box set, have all been with the left centered credits

anathema

Reaction score
muppet_dk said:
The shows I've seen so far, from the box set, have all been with the left centered credits
Very interesting!

muppet_dk

Reaction score
ups..gotta correct that......they are not all left centered

That Announcer

Reaction score
Question about the box-set closing credits: Does anyone know if the "HA" bubble will come out of Zoot's sax on the DVD, or will it be excised like in the Time-Life versions?

Stulz

Reaction score
That Announcer:

The Zoot bumble ending was added in the 80's during the syndicated repeats. As was the shade flipping up and the Jim henson Productions letters flying off, and others.

Muppet DK:
Haven started to watch the set,

Are the original endings intact, with Zoot blowing the final note with ITC logo over him?

Or does it cut to the Jim Henson Productions logo on black like in the Time-Life sets?

MrsPepper

Reaction score