First appearances?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
Miss Piggy
Piggy was first seen in a Muppet apperance on "Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass" in 1974. At the time, she was performed by Jerry Nelson. In 1975 she was seen again in "The Muppet Show: Sex And Violence" performed by Fran Brill.
I wonder which appearance came first. I've seen sources that list The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence as her first appearance, and sources that list the Herb Albert special as her first appearance (and some sources have listed both specials as being from the same year). I believe that the Muppet Morsels list Sex and Violence as her first appearance, but state that she was first named Miss Piggy in the other special. Jim Henson: The Works mentioned the Herb Albert special as her first appearance, while I've seen some sources at henson.com acknowledge Sex and Violence as her first appearance.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Looking at the dates...

Barry Lee said:
I thought that the Electric Mayhem first appeared in one of the Julie Andrews specials, but I may be in-correct. :sing::big_grin:
"The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence" aired on March 19, 1975, and on "Julie Andrews: My Favorite Things" aired the next month (April 18, 1975). It is possible that the "Julie Andrews" segements were taped before (or around the same time) as "Sex and Violence".

minor muppetz said:
I've seen sources that list The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence as her first appearance, and sources that list the Herb Albert special as her first appearance (and some sources have listed both specials as being from the same year).
The "Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, featuring Jim Henson's Muppets (sponsored by Sentryfrom)" television special aired in September 1974. "The Muppet Show Sex and Violence" aired 6-months later (March 1975).

It's funny but sometime the "offical sources" have errors in the history. Take for example Kermit's froghood. As you may know, early on Kermit was not a frog -- he was a "thing". The character was first seen on "Sam and Friends" (1955) and had feet instead of flippers, he didn't have his pointy collar, and he wasn't called a frog. Jim Henson once said that "I didn't call him a frog...all the characters in those days were abstract because that was part of the principle that I was working under, that you wanted abstract things".

Many official sources, such as "Jim Henson: The Works" and the old Henson.com, say that Kermit first became a frog for "The Frog Prince" (1971). Even Jim Henson, himself said that this where Kermit gained his froghood (see the interview here on Muppet Central).

Judy Harris: He didn't turn into a frog until you did The Frog Prince for a TV special.
Jim Henson: Yeah, that's right.
Judy Harris: That was the first time he got flippers and his little pointed collar?
Jim Henson: Right.

However, Kermit was already a frog, complete with his flippers and collar, in "Hey, Cinderella!" (1970) and the first season of "Sesame Street" (1969). But even before that, in "The Muppets On Puppets" (1968), Kermit was referred to as a frog twice.
:smile:

unclematt

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
"The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence" aired on March 19, 1975, and on "Julie Andrews: My Favorite Things" aired the next month (April 18, 1975). It is possible that the "Julie Andrews" segements were taped before (or around the same time) as "Sex and Violence".

The "Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, featuring Jim Henson's Muppets (sponsored by Sentryfrom)" television special aired in September 1974. "The Muppet Show Sex and Violence" aired 6-months later (March 1975).

It's funny but sometime the "offical sources" have errors in the history. Take for example Kermit's froghood. As you may know, early on Kermit was not a frog -- he was a "thing". The character was first seen on "Sam and Friends" (1955) and had feet instead of flippers, he didn't have his pointy collar, and he wasn't called a frog. Jim Henson once said that "I didn't call him a frog...all the characters in those days were abstract because that was part of the principle that I was working under, that you wanted abstract things".

Many official sources, such as "Jim Henson: The Works" and the old Henson.com, say that Kermit first became a frog for "The Frog Prince" (1971). Even Jim Henson, himself said that this where Kermit gained his froghood (see the interview here on Muppet Central).

Judy Harris: He didn't turn into a frog until you did The Frog Prince for a TV special.
Jim Henson: Yeah, that's right.
Judy Harris: That was the first time he got flippers and his little pointed collar?
Jim Henson: Right.

However, Kermit was already a frog, complete with his flippers and collar, in "Hey, Cinderella!" (1970) and the first season of "Sesame Street" (1969). But even before that, in "The Muppets On Puppets" (1968), Kermit was referred to as a frog twice.
:smile:
Very interesting stuff. Thanks for the information.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
Gonzo The Great
He Got His Start on The Great Santa Claus Switch (as Snarl AKA The Cigar Box Frackle). At That Point He Was Performed By Danny Seagren. After Which He Remain Silent on Other Appearances Such as The Goldie Hawn Show, Herb Albert and The TJB, and Various Muppet Meeting Films. After The Muppet Show Premiered Gonzo Was Performed By Dave Goelz. Goelz Performed Gonzo Ever since.