Favorite show no one knows

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Villa Alegre & Carrascolendas are 2 bilingual tv shows that I grew up watching; that taught every day problems, speaking in both American English & Spanish.

Big Blue Marble & Vegetable Soup come to mind too.

Caboose and Professor Kool's Fun Skool & Hodgepodge Lodge, are all Maryland-based tv shows that I grew up with too..very few people know them.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm also familiar with The Mysterious Cities of Gold and I definitely recall Kidd Video! I loved that cartoon as a kid!
Mysterious Cities of Gold is a show I've only heard about. Much more the reason I always hated Noozles and never liked David the Gnome... Not so much the shows themselves, but the fact everytime I went over my friend's house to watch Nickelodeon when I was little, those samne exact shows were on, and I never got to see Danger Mouse and Count Duckula (my other top favorite monster show). I revently saw clips of Cities of Gold... all I can say is Haim Saban is one heck of a cartoon music composer. Great theme song that one had.

I'm also familiar with Lucky Luke- he's incredibly famous throughout Europe, as is Asterix and Obelix- and I love those comics and cartoons and such.
And of course, Tintin- love the comics, love the cartoons and can't wait to see Steven Spielberg's movie.:smile:
I've become a big fan of European comics since the last couple of years. Tintin and Lucky Luke both had cartoons (Luke actually had 2... one from the 80's that was a co-production by Hanna Barbera- which I've seen in raw French and one by Xiliam from 2000 or so... which I was able to get with a Canadian English dub online). Asterix really should have been a cartoon, but the creators of the series were not really into the ideo of limited animation. In fact, after the first Asterix the Gaul movie, which had very limited animation almost HB or UPA style, they were very disappointed by it that they wanted some control over the quality of the animation... so they were much more full, and almost Disney-like in future films.

I like Tintin as well, but really, seems like he's the only one with any real acclaim in the US, An Asterix movie was made 2 or 3 years ago featuring American voice actors (Brad Garret played Obelix, Asterix was Paul Giamati I think) but was only seen once in the country at a film festival. Lucky Luke Goes West had a Canadian dub exclusively in Quebec, though. Shame they didn't even get a DVD treatment.

Of course, there's the Smurfs and Marsupilami which existed long before the US animated versions of them. Marsupilami ISN'T a Disney creation.. that's right. Disney's cartoon actually created many other characters not seen in the original comics, and in the original European version, he wasn't the only Marsupilami in existence either. I wish they'd publish some of those in English. Smurfs did, however use some comics as the basis of stories in the cartoon, but I don't know to what extent.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Has anyone here heard of Charlie and Lola? It's a little kiddie show that comes on Playhouse Disney, and I think it's British. (or at least, it's set in England.) I think it's pretty cool actually, but it may just be because their accents are so cool. :wink:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Yeah, I've watched a bit of Charlie and Lola. Good stuff. Kinda relaxing to watch with those British accents- like Kipper.:smile::big_grin:

APRena

Reaction score
British accents are fantastic. :big_grin:

Speaking of British TV, I've fallen in love with Monty Python. Deliciously absurd and hilarious. And Britishly accented. (Fairly well known to people in the 70s, I know, but I'm pretty sure not too many people in *my* generation know about it/appreciate it.)

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Ha ha- and now for something completely different- Monty Python definitely fit the bill- and had some pretty funny material.:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
British accents are fantastic. :big_grin:

Speaking of British TV, I've fallen in love with Monty Python. Deliciously absurd and hilarious. And Britishly accented. (Fairly well known to people in the 70s, I know, but I'm pretty sure not too many people in *my* generation know about it/appreciate it.)
I'm pretty sure everyone knows about that one. It's been quoted and referenced all over the place. And you'd be surprised. Quite a lot of the younger people know it as well.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I watched Big Blue Marble, Vegetable Soup & New Zoo Review, 3.2.1 Contact, Real People as a kid. Cher had her own spinoff after The Comedy Hour, though it didn't last very long.