Favorite non-Henson puppet shows growing up

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I swear to frog there was a show with either a cat or a wolf... no... it was a cat and... oh great, now I forget all the details. I wanna say he lived in a New York style basement apartment with some human woman. Someone's gotta know what I'm talking about.
It wasn't this show was it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unhappily_Ever_After

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7L1QzhjMWg

But the Mr. Potatohead show was great. It had these great inside jokes about network notes.
Lol, that sounds cute.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Nah, but I did like that one... tried TOO hard to be Married with Children, though.

It was a kid's show first of all. I can't believe I forgot to mention that. It seemed like it was just a given. I think the cat was either a D.J. or something... it was on Sunday Mornings before Beany and Cecil reruns on my local Fox network (this was before Fox Kids). I almost found out what it was once, and I forgot what it was. It may have been a local show, and we somehow got the reruns...

Lemme see if I can find something...
AHAHA!

That's it! I found it!

The American Version of "DJ Kat"[/URL]

Don'cha hate it when the name of something you're looking for IS the general description of what you remembered it to be?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I'm apparently not subscribed so I never posted here. Odd.

Puzzle Place
Wimzie's House
Book of Pooh
Betweeeeen the Liiioooooons

You know, it took me until I was 18 to realize the pun in Between the Lions :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, it took me until I was 18 to realize the pun in Between the Lions :stick_out_tongue:
That show came on JUST as I was getting out of High School. I remember vividly switching to the PBS channel during the commercial break of something for kids on another broadcast station in the middle of the afternoon (remember that? That was amazing) and saw some weird thing about a Potato. Then something called Cliff Hanger. It took me weeks to just give into the curiosity and see what the heck this delightfully weird thing was. That's how I discovered the show.

It had a sizable hiatus from switching to WGBH to Mississippi Public Television as the production company. But I find those newer episodes to be uneven. Instead of one or 2 stories and an in show plot revolving around them, they read one story with a framing device and read another... like the show was split into 2 different segments. And they dumbed down some of the educational content. At the end, they were teaching colors and numbers... in a literacy show. And I REALLY did not like the first season back where they just re-read the same stories... I mean, reused the same exact footage but had new framing materials. The writing and puppetry did shine through that, though. But I miss those earlier seasons.

I think the show ended now.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Ooh, and who can forget Lambchop? My first introduction to the show was from a video tape that my mom bought me, and from there on I caught the show whenever I could.

beaker

Reaction score
Wow, surprised I never heard of Under the Umbrella Tree! Total precursor to Bear in the Big Blue House it seems.

Um, what is a "Canadian accent"? I've heard people say this all my life, but what is it? Every Canadian Ive met or heard on tv sounds like a Californian or non-accented American. (ie: non southern/boston/new york accent) Do they mean the Sarah Palin/Fargo movie accent? As I've never heard a Canadian speak like that. Only accents I know of are Quebec people.

Sadly, I don't think we'll see much puppetry in the future. Cgi has overtaken everything along with flash cartoons. Closed to puppets right now is full bodied costumes ala the amazing and kick butt show Yo Gabba Gabba.

@Dr Tooth: Wow, never heard of a Mr Potatohead show. Its really from 1998??? Looks more like 1988...which isnt bad. As I LOVE shows like Hey Vern its Earnest, Pee Wee's Playhouse, etc. Im also a big Ed Grimley fan.

Drtooth

Reaction score
@Dr Tooth: Wow, never heard of a Mr Potatohead show. Its really from 1998??? Looks more like 1988...which isnt bad. As I LOVE shows like Hey Vern its Earnest, Pee Wee's Playhouse, etc. Im also a big Ed Grimley fan.
Yeah. About 1998 or so. I remember having to miss an episode to have to take PSAT's or something. It was a kid's puppet show that wasn't a kiddy puppet show. It had some subversive humor in it, I remember... had a character that was a punk rock moldy piece of fruit called Johnny Rottenapple. And a mad scientist Dr. Fruitcake. They once had a mutant reanimated ham run amok of the studio. And I swear there was an episode where they got alien television broadcasts that were incredibly bizzare flashing lights and weird sounds and the cast was trying to make heads or tails out of it. Very weird, fun, quirky show.

But, you know... it wasn't Power Rangers, so Fox didn't give 2 craps about it, and it languishes in obscurity.

http://www.mashmagazine.com/99nov/novcoolcareer.html
is the only article I can really find about it, but it doesn't so much mention the show as say she was in it...