Exhibit - Jim Henson's Fantastic World

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
You know, I did a search because I could have sworn we had a thread on this already, but it appears that the word is "No." I can't locate it. If we locate it I'll combine the two threads here.

Anyway, I went today and it was wonderful. There were great Muppets on display from TMS, SS, and FR. Props from Labyrinth and Dark Crystal, and a whole BUNCH of great Jim Henson art. AKA: James and Jimmy. He signed it both ways, too.

There were video monitors up everywhere, and they ahve these great little time-line booklets as give-aways. What I wish they had was an exhibit program (they usually cost $25 USD at museums) which catalogs the entire exhibit.

Anyway, to see if it's coming near you, go to the bottom of this link:
http://www.sites.si.edu/exhibitions/exhibits/henson/main.htm

Here's where I saw it today:
http://www.arkarts.com/calendar_events/event-detail.asp?id=63

zns

Reaction score
Sounds fantastic Fozzie. It would be neat if they published a book about it, just like they did with "The Art of the Muppets".

somethingofafan

Reaction score
The old thread is in this section, a few threads down. Maybe you just read too quickly and skimmed over it.

muppetwriter

Reaction score
Hey, I actually live in AR and went to see this exhibit close to the end of October. I took some pictures at the outside of the museum, but the security guard there told me that no pictures were allowed inside, so I couldn't capture some of the most interesting parts of the exhibit.

Here are the pics:

Outside the building

Outside the building #2

Poster Inside The Exhibit (the only picture I could've taken before I was told there weren't any allowed)

This is me outside the museum w/ my Kermit hat on. :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I read at Muppet Wiki that this exhibet includes storyboards for The King of 8, including two alternate endings. Are there any storyboards for any other Hesnon animations from Sesame Street? What about the baker films (it'd be great if there were storyboards for the rare Song of One, or even video footage)?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
yes, the King of 8 storyboards were there. It was fantastic. There was so much to take in that I can't remember all of it. You know, when you have a great dream and you remember bits and pieces but the majority of it is gone? That's what it's like to visit the exhibit.

Crazy31088

Reaction score
I live in Little Rock, and I went to the exhibit for the second time yesterday. It was wonderful! I was familiar with many of the things on display already, but somehow I still found myself laughing real hard and then was moved to tears by the end of it-just thinking about this man who created so much that I take totally for granted, and then just suddenly *died*. Perhaps I even saw it as a cynical statement about our world that he died the way he did, yet his work has the greatest example of the joy of life, greater than any other artist that I know of. Or perhaps that's just overreaching.

Anyway, I am so glad that I had the chance to see this exhibit not once, but twice.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I had a sentimental problem leaving there. It's so hard to leave when those Muppets are just right THERE in front of you.

It leaves soon, doesn't it?

Reaction score
I haven't heard anything on this subject in quite a while and I just wasn't sure if anyone has heard anything yet about the Smithsonian's traveling exhibit "Jim Henson's Fantastic World". If anyone knows anything or has any updates, please let me know. Thanx :smile:

MOD'S NOTE: UPDATE
There is an opening event for the Mesa, AZ Jim Henson exhibit on December, 14th prior to opening to the public on December 15th. I donated a Semi-Private Class from my school, and I'm hoping others will donate something as well--it's a good cause, plus good advertisement.

http://www.arizonamuseumforyouth.com/Home.aspx