Ernie & Prairie Dawn

ErnieBertGonzo

Reaction score
Bert and Ernie's ages?

Bert is only 7? Ernie's 5? ...
Bert and Ernie have ages? Since when?

Then again, in the skit where Ernie plays doctor (VIEW HERE), he DID say he had 8 years of grade school... Though if such, Ernie would be 6, as he would be somewhere in between kindergarten and 1st grade.

But getting on topic, as I've said, I think Ernie and Prairie would make an EXCELLENT couple... a little crush on each other.

ErnieBertGonzo

Reaction score
Reply to StarrFilter's comment.

Ernie is 5 or 6. I can't remember. I know Elmo, Zoe and Abby are 3. Rosita, Grover and Baby Bear are 4, Telly is 5, Big Bird is 6 and Prairie and Bert are 7

:stick_out_tongue:
Like I said, Ernie would have to be around six or even seven, as in the Doctor Ernie skit, he said he had eight years of grammar school, including junior high, so he would have to have been in between kindergarten and first grade.

JLG

Reaction score
Personally I've always felt that Bert and Ernie are two guys in their early to mid 20s, with Ernie just being a "big kid" type. You know those.

Prairie Dawn is a 7 year old girl, Betty Lou about the same----that much is official, just as Big Bird being 6 (7?) is official.

So I see the Betty Lou skating with Bert clip as just a little girl crush on a grownup. I'm sure those happen all the time. Bert, of course, just lets it roll off his back while still being flattered.

This is why the Prairie pagaent skits are extra amusing to me, because to me they translate into a 7-year-old girl putting on a play with two of her actors being these two 20-something goofballs, mixed in with a bunch of kids younger than her (like Grover----although in my mind he, Herry and Cookie are actually about the same age as Prairie, just a lot more bubbleheaded). There's something funny about the idea that these two guys are just two more actors in this group of little kids.

I thought it fed right into this idea in Muppet Family Christmas with Bert's "Where we come from this is small talk," explanation of their dwelling on numbers and letters. :wink:

Of course, I know my "Bert and Ernie as twentysomethings" conflicts with Ernie's doctor sketch mentioned above. Hilarious as that clip is, I just have to discount it. :big_grin:

ErnieBertGonzo

Reaction score
Personally I've always felt that Bert and Ernie are two guys in their early to mid 20s, with Ernie just being a "big kid" type. You know those.

Prairie Dawn is a 7 year old girl, Betty Lou about the same----that much is official, just as Big Bird being 6 (7?) is official.

So I see the Betty Lou skating with Bert clip as just a little girl crush on a grownup. I'm sure those happen all the time. Bert, of course, just lets it roll off his back while still being flattered.

This is why the Prairie pagaent skits are extra amusing to me, because to me they translate into a 7-year-old girl putting on a play with two of her actors being these two 20-something goofballs, mixed in with a bunch of kids younger than her (like Grover----although in my mind he, Herry and Cookie are actually about the same age as Prairie, just a lot more bubbleheaded). There's something funny about the idea that these two guys are just two more actors in this group of little kids.

I thought it fed right into this idea in Muppet Family Christmas with Bert's "Where we come from this is small talk," explanation of their dwelling on numbers and letters. :wink:

Of course, I know my "Bert and Ernie as twentysomethings" conflicts with Ernie's doctor sketch mentioned above. Hilarious as that clip is, I just have to discount it. :big_grin:
Maybe Ernie's 7 and Bert is 20-something. It seems likely, given their personalities.

sAkora1

Reaction score
I always thought Betty lou and Prairie dawn would be cute with Bert and Ernie judging that Betty and Prairie are both friends and Ernie and Bert are as well.

Seriously I can think of a cute idea of Betty and Bert and Ernie and Prairie going on double dates. ^^

But you know that is just me. :stick_out_tongue:

sAkora1

Reaction score

Yeah I can see that but that still doesn't explain why Prairie Dawn went out with a guy and she said that the guy was "20 Something" in that one skit with the count. I mean is she into older dudes or something. O_O

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Was there really something with Ernie, Bert and Prarie? I thought Betty Lou had something for Monsters. "I Wan't A Monster To Be My Friend". lol Couldn't resist. But seriously, I've seen weird fan fiction drawings of Bert and Betty Lou and Ernie with Prairie Dawn. I figure it was from someone who just didn't get the characters. WOW, I'd like to know more about this if there were in fact sketches indicating this rumor. As a huge Ernie and Bert fan, I MUST KNOW! :smile: I got to remind myself as a huge Ernie and Bert fan that Bert likes ice skating. It's paperclips, bottle caps, pigeons (which reminds me, whatever happened to Bernice?) , ice skating. check! lol

I remember Jim and Frank were asked one last question on the Evening with Jim and Frank 1989 Puppetry Conference video from Massachusetts. I think the question was if any of the Sesame Street Muppets were ever going to get married. They answered "Goodnight" and that was that. I haven't seen the tape in awhile, I know it's on the internet but I remember that was the final question.

The only characters was Natasha's parents. That's the only Muppet couple on Sesame Street I know that were sort of main characters for awhile. None of the more known characters. Grover mentioned in a Today show interview with him and Kermit, I think it's on their website in their archive. Grover was asked a related question and he said that outside the show he prefers to keep his lifestyle personal and private. lol Snuffy's parents is the only other Muppet couple on Sesame Street I also know but it was the divorce episode that got banned due to bad results in the test audience. But didn't it finally air recently? I remember in that special CinderElmo where Ernie and Bert where off to marry the princess and Ernie was worried he'll never see Bert ever again.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I'm making it against the rules to ever mention the Ernie and Bert as more than friends theories again. Starting now. The next person who ever does that will have to pay me a fine in the amount of 5 pounds of chocolate chip cookies, and everyone can share.

Especially with Bert singing about his girlfriend in "I want to hold your ear," and the women he danced with on The Muppet Show. I always saw Bert and Betty Lou and Ernie and Prairie Dawn as items for some reason.
Thanks, I get sick of those things myself. I'm a huge Ernie and Bert fan still to this day, they have always been my favorite on Sesame Street and still are. Ernie and Bert are roommates just sharing the rent and bills, well okay Bert pays for everything probably because Ernie doesn't have enough money in his piggy bank or The Salesman keeps ripping him off all the time. lol I've always figured that Bert works in some kind of paper clip or bottling plant while Ernie would just have fun all day or even better is in fact reading books quietly and thinking of what the next game or prank he's going to pull on Bert next as soon as he comes home. :smile: Ernie is so sweet hearted but he does in fact have a very wicked prankster sense of humor.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Bert and Ernie's ages?
I've started a thread awhile back mentioning ages. Like how can Grover be tucked into bed by his mother in one moment and working a job as an annoying waiter to Mr. Johnson the next. lol

Anyway I think Ernie is in his mid 20s. An adult who still has his inner child or course, loves pestering Bert with his Rubber Duckie. :smile:
Bert must be older. I would love to say in his mid 40s. Part of me thinks Ernie and Bert meet in college but then again I wouldn't be surprised if it was as simple as Bert feeding the pigeons in the park and Ernie was flying his kite and got Bert tangled up and Ernie tried to apologize so many times and Bert realized this pest is really quite a friendly fellow. Who knows. I remember reading on how Jim Henson loved creating characters that were so completely different from each other and having them get along so well. Perhaps that was what Ernie and Bert was all about. :smile:

JLG

Reaction score
[quote/]Part of me thinks Ernie and Bert meet in college [/quote]

I'm not really a fanfic type, but one of these days just for fun, I'd like to write a story of how Ernie, needing some additional income, ran a newspaper ad for a roommate, and Bert was the first guy who showed up to see the apartment. (I'd set it in 1965 or something, by the way.:smile:)