Ernie and Bert Question

Censored

Reaction score
:stick_out_tongue: :frown: I don't think so and, for that matter, what the heck are their jobs in the neighborhood?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I asked this same question when I was a kid, and the letter from (then) CTW stated that "their last names are Muppet."

Ernie Muppet
Bert Muppet

So, not only are they best friends despite their differences, they are also family.

As far as I can tell, they are adults with child-like personalities, since they can fly in planes (Follow that Bird). I have decided that Ernie is a crop-duster pilot. Bert is a fellow Audubon member and studies the pigeons. Of course, this is all speculation!!

ssetta

Reaction score
I actually used to think that Bert was Ernie's father. They do sort of act that way.

Sidebottom

Reaction score
Someone once suggested on this forum that in the absence of actual last names for these characters, it would be fun to refer to them as "Ernie Henson" and "Bert Oz".

I kinda like that.

-Sidebottom

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Ernie Henson and Bert Oz makes sense and are preferable to me; still, the (then) CTW folks said the last names are "Muppet." Wonder what their answer would be today?

Hmm...

Censored

Reaction score
ssetta said:
I actually used to think that Bert was Ernie's father. They do sort of act that way.

I believe that the concept for Ernie and Bert was originally inspired by the idea of a skit where a child always outsmarted a grown-up.

Censored

Reaction score
Most of the early cast, both human and muppet, on Sesame Street had only one name, either first or last. Gordon, Susan, Bob, Mr. Hooper, Ernie, Bert, Prof. Hastings, David, Maria, Luis. One notable exception was Roosevelt Franklin. Then we got some other characters with two names like Herbert Birdsfoot and Harvey Kneeslapper. Finally, they started giving the human cast two names such as Gordon and Susan Robinson, Luis and Maria Rodriguez, and Harold Hooper. Maybe someday, Ernie and Bert will get official last names too.

Splurge

Reaction score
I just thought of another, Sherlock Hemlock. :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
This question was sent to Maggie Stack at Sesame Workshop. The folks there don't seem to be as fan friendly with answers as JHC, but they did respond at least, so I am thankful for that much.
Kevin,

Ernie & Bert do not have last names!

If you are interested in discovering more about this great friendship,
pick-up a copy of Sesame Street Unpaved, scripts, stories, secrets, and
songs by David Borgenicht; Hyperion (the importance of being Ernie & Bert, pages 21 - 27).

Thank you for your interest in Sesame Workshop!

Kind regards,

Maggie Stack
So, there you have it. No last name.