Empire acquires rights to Jim Henson screenplay

What do you think of Empire acquiring the rights to the Henson screenplay?

• The movie is a great idea. I hope that it gets produced.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • I'm concerned that it can be done well and will honor Jim.

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • It's not worth doing if either Disney or Sesame don't support the movie.

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • I don't want to see it. Hollywood will likely misrepresent Jim’s life.

Votes: 9 9.6%

• Total voters

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I think it would be cool if they did it like "Finding Neverland", where there's no clear line between fantasy and reality and the audience is shown things creatively through Jim's eyes.

unclematt

Reaction score
What a great idea vic, where jim and kermit are one in the same

muppet baby

Reaction score
i think this film will be great but , at the same time i hope that his son and frank Oz , have a lot of input because i would like to see what he was like as a father and a friend , and this movie will be a dream for me , because of what the muppets and Jim henson mean to me .

They got me though a lot of tough times as a child.

I know how chezzy that might sound but it is the truth .:smile::super:.

I really can not wait to see it .

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Any new news on this at all?

Having read Street Gang, I learned a lot about Jim that's typically not discussed and wondered if the film would delve into such matters. Out of all the big Muppet news that's come out in the last several months, this is still what I'm most excited and hopeful for.

EDIT: Just realized it's been over a year since this was announced and production was supposed to start last summer.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
My feeling is that this idea will float around in development for several years and one distant day it will get made. The quality of it will depend on how many fingerprints touch the final draft.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As I said a long time ago about the movie Milk (among others) I am very very wary of these biopics. Remember, a lot of them have to shove in entertainment at moments that don't need them. There are some that are well done, but others that just... well, I want to see a Tina Turner biopic called "What's the Truth Gotta Do with it?" Not to mention that some of these biopics twist things to give some odd agenda...

I'm sure we won't see a damaging Jim Henson bio pic... but one that cartoonishly glazes over darker moments takes away drama. Thetre's no triumph without drama.

unclematt

Reaction score
Is this actually going to happen? I heard somewhere that Penny Marshall was going to direct.

Luke

Reaction score
It would be a great thing for the Hensons to do rather than anyone else, but without being able to use the Mups it aint ever gonna happen.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
1. The Muppet Man
By Christopher Weekes
What it’s about: The life and times of the late Jim Henson (pictured), the man behind Sesame Street and The Muppets.
What it’s like: The Andy Kaufman biopic Man on the Moon, but with puppets. This moving story depicts the life of a creative genius, with occasional surreal appearances by the likes of Kermit and Miss Piggy.