Empire acquires rights to Jim Henson screenplay

What do you think of Empire acquiring the rights to the Henson screenplay?

• The movie is a great idea. I hope that it gets produced.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • I'm concerned that it can be done well and will honor Jim.

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • It's not worth doing if either Disney or Sesame don't support the movie.

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • I don't want to see it. Hollywood will likely misrepresent Jim’s life.

Votes: 9 9.6%

• Total voters

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So this is going to be a made-for-tv movie? I thought it was planned for a theatrical release.

Craig Crane

Reaction score
Look at the studio's web site and then tell me how much of their output has enjoyed a theatrical release.....

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Honestly I don't care if it's made for TV or not. A great many bio pics are. Perhaps they're not of the highest caliber, but they're good for what they are.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
David Cross makes a good Look-a-like for Frank Oz.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
What to say... I suppose everything is still in the speculation stage at this point but, might I remind you that if they have a working script and a budget of 30 mil - that film could be made. It's not a lot of money but think about a film like "Juno" was made for under 10. It could happen. 30 mil. is also in the feature film range of costs. So what, their company hasn't done much - it's all who becomes attached to this thing if it should ever see the light of day.

Disney or Henson could become involved in this - you never know...

They could never afford him but Christian Bale would make a flawless Henson.

Luke

Reaction score
What to say... I suppose everything is still in the speculation stage at this point but, might I remind you that if they have a working script and a budget of 30 mil - that film could be made. It's not a lot of money but think about a film like "Juno" was made for under 10. It could happen. 30 mil. is also in the feature film range of costs. So what, their company hasn't done much - it's all who becomes attached to this thing if it should ever see the light of day.

Disney or Henson could become involved in this - you never know...
The film probably couldn't be made once Disney lawyers jump all over it, thats before even the Henson ones start askin questions and the Henson family have even stopped biographies THEY have been involved with in the past. Seriously, how can you make a Jim Henson biopic without Kermit the Frog. It'd just be an actor picking up some generic frog puppet that doesn't look like Kermit, and him doing a voice that sounds nothing like Kermit.

They would have tried to get Henson involved already if they do want an "official" type biopic but it is standard practice for Henson to comment as well in press releases so we can assume they are not in any way involved, and seriously, they have no hope of Disney involvement unless a) Henson family were involved already, and b) they were prepared to give up a large chunk of that 30 million and control over the film.

Either this isn't going to happen (please god!) or it'd be a generic TV movie that'd probably either be bland, or start muck raking. And i believe a 30 million attached budget doesn't even mean they actually have 30 million, there may be conditions set to that like them getting theatrical distribution or all the permissions they need to do it well.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
They could never afford him? I've never even heard of him!:insatiable:
Christian Bale = BATMAN, The Machinist, 3:10 to Yuma, American Psycho, The new Terminator... on and on - They could make him look just like Henson.

Well, everything is about Buzz in Hollywood and generally press releases of that nature are to generate some kind of interest. It's too early to rule anything out or in. You never ever know in Hollywood. We can all speculate until we are as blue as the cookie monster but, you never know what will happen here.

If they have a good script - why not... But, they would have to use real muppets or the whole project would be irrelevant.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Ps

In regards to the mention of Penny Marshall directing... I know people who have worked with her and claim that she is the worst director going. She has people set up the shots and scenes for her and generally isn't a very good director. (Hope she's not reading this!)

peyjenk

Reaction score
I personally am really excited... after films like Ray, Walk the Line, etc., biopics are quite big right now and they tend to be very well done anymore. I just hope something comes of it and it isn't like all the other disappointments we Muppet fans have suffered through over the last few years.