Eisner Nears Muppet Rescue

ButchCat

Reaction score
Not Good!!!! If Disney gets a hold of Henson all of you puppet builders who's puppets even look just a wee bit like a Muppet will have your ***** kicked from here to Never,never land!:sympathy: :sympathy:

Manda:-D

Reaction score
Eisner "RESCUES" the Muppets??? Oh, riiight, like he's now ouer knight in shining armor or something......:mad: Grrrr.......
I've got a feeling it's yet another stalling technique. I DOUBT Eisner'd go for 100 mill. Probaby string EM.TV. along, trying to see how far down they can bring the price..... :mad:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Originally posted by ButchCat
Not Good!!!! If Disney gets a hold of Henson all of you puppet builders who's puppets even look just a wee bit like a Muppet will have your ***** kicked from here to Never,never land!:sympathy: :sympathy:
Well, Henson already did that to CINAR, creator of "Wimzie's House," in early 2000.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Really? Do tell. I never heard of that. Never liked Wimzie's House because I kept thinking, "Not the Muppets!"

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
There's some article about it in Muppet Central News' 2000 archive.

BTW, I also just found a lengthy Reuters/Hollywood Reporter article about a possible Classic Media/Sesame/Sony alliance to buy Henson. Since I don't know how to copy articles on here, maybe someone else can find the article by the morning.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:embarrassed: I'm sure I should know that, but I don't. LOL! Thank you.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Its just cutting and pasting...

Highlight the entire text that you wish to copy, right-click somewhere on the text, hit 'copy'. Come onto here, and when you are in a blank Reply or New Topic screen, right-click in the text area and hit 'paste'

Presto, instant anti-Disney articles, right to the forum. :smirk:

-Matt

Luke

Reaction score
Sony Joins Henson Bidding Race

By Cynthia Littleton

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The bidding for the Jim Henson Co. is expected to wind down this week, but two new players have emerged to bolster the offer fielded by New York-based Classic Media: Sesame Workshop and Sony Pictures Entertainment's home video division.

Classic Media, the media licensing outfit that owns the rights to the Harvey Comics library, among other characters, has long been a suitor of Henson, which is being auctioned by its troubled German parent company, EM.TV & Merchandising, as has the Walt Disney Co. After two years of on-and-off sale talks, sources said Disney and Classic, headed by industry veteran Eric Ellenbogen, are the only contenders for the home of Kermit the Frog and other classic Muppet characters.

In an effort to compete with the deep pockets of Disney, sources said Classic has enlisted "Sesame Street" producer Sesame Workshop as a minority partner in its prospective Henson purchase. More importantly, sources said Classic also has worked out an agreement with Sony's Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment division to help bankroll the bid. Financial details of the Henson sale process remain murky, but industry observers expect the company to fetch $70 million-$80 million.

Sources said the complex arrangement calls for Columbia TriStar to essentially bankroll the bulk of the Classic-Sesame Workshop bid in exchange for home video rights to existing and future Henson productions, but Sony would not have a formal ownership interest in Henson.

Columbia TriStar has had success distributing many Henson feature and direct-to-video titles for about the past five years. Its pact with Henson is set to expire early next year, and sources said Sony top brass viewed the behind-the-scenes alliance with Classic and Sesame as a cost-effective way of hanging on to the Henson video rights in perpetuity.

Sesame Workshop has long been in business with Henson on the enduring PBS series "Sesame Street," which features Kermit, Big Bird and numerous other iconic Muppet characters. Nearly two years ago, as EM.TV began to face crippling financial troubles, Sesame struck a $160 million deal with EM.TV to buy out the long-term licensing rights to the "Sesame Street" Muppet characters, which Henson previously had controlled.

EM.TV purchased Henson from the heirs of its founder, Jim Henson, for $680 million in cash and stock in early 2000, when the company was a highflier in Germany's now-defunct Neuer Markt stock exchange.

If Classic and Sesame succeed in acquiring Henson, the two companies would be in the unique position of having access to the entire Muppet cast of characters. But some industry observers who have followed the Henson saga expect Disney to emerge victorious some 13 years after Disney first sought to acquire the company through a deal that unraveled shortly after Jim Henson's death in May 1990.

Henson, Sesame Workshop, Sony and Disney declined comment Monday. EM.TV reps in Munich could not be reached for comment.

Source :- Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030506/media_nm/industry_henson_dc_1

Luke

Reaction score
Isn't it amazing how they are never available for comment ? It's like "Ooh, yes they are in the process of selling something for 70 million dollars but they just stepped out of the office for tic-tacs !"

:zany:

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Isn't it amazing how they are never available for comment ? It's like "Ooh, yes they are in the process of selling something for 70 million dollars but they just stepped out of the office for tic-tacs !"
YES! And it's been like that for the two year we have been reading articals like this...Like I said before Eisner seems like he's just in his office, spinging around in his big cozy chair, chewing on a Mickey Mouse pencil toper!:rolleyes:

Zack,