Each Muppet's Best Film Roles

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I've been thinking through the Muppets and which of the 8 Films was their best and most prominent role. Not counting the obvious ones (Hmm, I wonder which film Constantine was Best in?) Without even planning it, All 8 movies are represented.

Kermit the Frog: The Muppet Movie
This was a tough one, it came down to TMM, TMTM, or TM2011. I had to give this one to The Muppet Movie. Although it has an ensemble cast, it's Kermit's Journey to stardom, highlighting how he became friends with Fozzie, Piggy, etc. It also debuts Rainbow Connection, one of the best Muppet songs ever, sung by Kermit.

Miss Piggy: The Muppets (2011)
This was another difficult choice, but I ended up choosing The Muppets for Miss Piggy, because I think she was used very well in this film. I got the feeling that she came to terms with admitting that she loves the Muppets, not just Kermit. The scene where she faced off with Miss Poogy seemed like Piggy defending her friends from a bully. Not to mention, there was some great Kermit and Piggy emotional scenes.

Fozzie Bear: The Great Muppet Caper
I loved Fozzie in this film. I think this one does the best job of showing the strong friendship between Kermit and Fozzie, from them being twin brothers to the Pizza Twins scene. (TMM and TM2011 also did this well btw). Fozzie is right by Kermit every step of the way, and the scene that was the decision maker for me was his pep talk to the Muppets in the Happiness Hotel.

Gonzo the Great: Muppets From Space
This one was obvious. Despite the overall dislike for this film, you can't deny that this was Gonzo's biggest role. It continued his great chemistry with Rizzo, which were also very great aspects of TMCC and MTI. In the end, his emotional journey reminded him of what was important, which was a great revelation for him.

Rowlf the Dog: The Muppet Movie
I loved Rowlf in the Muppet Movie. His scene in the restaurant with Kermit was perfect. Rowlf doing what he loves, playing piano while being easy going and doing his best to help his new friend. I also loved the scene later in the car when he starts to introduce himself "Hi I'm Rowlf, I was playing the piano and...oh never mind" or something like that

Scooter: The Muppets Take Manhattan
Overall, I think Scooter is often way underused in the films, and not just during the movies he wasn't in at all. His presence in the Muppet Movie is just kinda awkward. We get to see Kermit meeting Fozzie, Gonzo, Piggy, Rowlf, and the Electric Mayhem and they ALL get a musical number....but Scooter? He's just tagging along with the EM, barely doing anything. The time I thought he was used best was in TMTM. He was in charge of getting change for the lockers and had a decent role throughout the film as well.

Bunsen & Beaker: Muppet Treasure Island
This choice was easy. Bunsen and Beaker were used very well in this film. The were part of the main heroic group that saves the day, and we still got some classic Muppet Labs-style humor with the window-shade cure for Gonzo

The Electric Mayhem: The Muppet Movie
As stated earlier, The Muppet Movie did great at introducing characters and giving the EM a great musical number. Each member was named by name, and they even saved the day by rescuing the gang in the desert, and who could forget Animal's great work with the Insta Grow Pills

Animal (Solo): The Muppets 2011
The Muppets was big for Animal, he even got his own plot line separate from the Electric Mayhem. I thought his chemistry with Jack Black was great, and loved seeing him finally gie in and Drum during Rainbow Connection

Statler & Waldorf: The Muppet Christmas Carol
This one was easy. TMCC had Statler & Waldorf in an important role featuring a musical number, instead of just popping up here and there to heckle. I really enjoyed their scene

Sam the Eagle: Muppets Most Wanted
I almost picked Muppet Treasure Island for Sam, it was close, but his chemistry with Ty was amazing and perfect. Sam being a CIA agent was absolutely brilliant

Rizzo the Rat: Muppet Treasure Island
Admittedly, Rizzo had more screen time in MFS, but I think he was used much better in MTI. He had his friendship with Gonzo and classic Rizzo humor while still being a big part of the story. Best line "He died? this was supposed to be a kids movie"

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Kermit: The Great Muppet Caper

This is the muppet movie where he has the best lines, nothing is going happen this is just the opening credits, he also shows off his planning skills when he organizes the heist, and we get to see his jealous, romantic, comedic, and heroic sides, what better way can you portray him?

Miss Piggy: Muppets Most Wanted

Just Something So Right shows Miss Piggy in a really good light. In this one we get to see what happens when the question is popped on her and we see her emotional layers, really showing who Miss Piggy is.

Fozzie Bear: The Muppet Movie

This muppet movie is sadly one of the few where Fozzie is not just shown as a dumb bear for comedic purposes, this one shows who Fozzie really is, a struggling comedian who has a strong friendship with Kermit, and who has a dream, this is the real Fozzie, not just a bear with someone in his finger.

Gonzo the Great: The Great Muppet Caper

This one really shows Gonzo as the daredevil he really is, this makes some real funny moments, he also shows his love of chickens and knee caps.

Animal: Muppets From Space

Animal is not all that prominent in the muppet movies, but this one really shows him as the crazy player he really is. He has a relationship with a security guard and does some wild stuff and of course talks in the way only he can.

That is all I have for now.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
You make some good points, especially with Fozzie in The Muppet Movie, I almost picked that one, but that speech in TGMC really put me over the edge with him.

I also almost picked Muppets Most Wanted for Piggy, it came down to TM, MMW, or TMM

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Scooter: Muppets Take Manhattan
For my entire childhood, one of my prevailing memory of MTM was Scooter's letter to Kermit, asking "Have you sold the show yet? Have you heard from the gang?", while a melancholy instrumental of "Together Again" played in the background. That movie is amazing as far as pathos.

Miss Piggy: Great Muppet Caper
Actually, this was a collaborative effort between Miss Piggy and Nicky Holiday, lol. Despite the obvious weirdness of the concept (human and pig), I absolutely believe every scene they have together. When Nicky is infatuated with Piggy at first sight. When Piggy feels flattered, yet increasingly uncomfortable around him. Not to mention, when Nicky incredulously points out that her other crush is a frog, and Piggy makes it clear that's one of the reasons she loves him. It's just so real and perfect, and both characters work because of how the other reacts.

Eyeball

Reaction score
Miss piggy - The muppets take Manhattan.

As far as I'm concerned its her scenes that make the movie, from her interactions with Joan rivers to the stalking scenes and then park chase too, this movie wouldn't be half as fun without her in it.

Kermit the frog - the muppets

I just love this movie, Kermit's role in it and how much of an emotional catalyst he plays in it, from Walter showing him just how much of an effect he's had on his (and many other peoples) lives, he also addressed the real life position of the muppets and how they were forgotten about.

Fozzie bear - great Muppet caper

Like others said above fozzies best role is deffo GMC by far, from his identical twin gag to the champagne with sugar in it he's just hilarious and none of it seems forced.

Gonzo - muppets from space

Gonzos lead role, and he saves a terrible Muppet movie from being unwatchable to being viewable...once every 2 months or so.. Nuff said!

Animal - the Muppet movie

Animal is a weird one... I mean I coulda gone with TM but his arc in that is probably the most boring bit of the film IMO so I went with TMM where he saves the day.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
Kermit: The Muppet Movie
I think Kermit's charismatic and ambitious personality here really shows that he is the humble and incomparable frog we all know and love: from singing about his hopes and dreams of becoming a Hollywood star to having the responsibility of putting on a show.:smile:

Piggy: The Muppets (2011)
I liked the fact that she had agreed to rejoin the Muppets, and not just for Kermit. I think her role in this movie really shows that she is back at her roots again, but that doesn't change the fact that she'll do anything to protect her Kermie~

Fozzie: A tie between The Muppet Movie and Great Muppet Caper:
Like most of you have pointed out, I really enjoy the sweet, sweet friendship between him and Kermit. Not only does their friendship become stronger in Caper, but this very sweet friendship will always seem to last for as long as I can remember.:smile:

Gonzo: The Muppet Movie

His melancholy number "I'm Going to Go Back There Someday" really shows that Gonzo is more than just weird, him singing about finding his own place lets us identify that he has a huge heart. Not only for his friends and Camilla, but something extraordinary.

Walter: A tie between The Muppets and Muppets Most Wanted:
Hm...this was a toughie...mainly because he has such a strong personality in both of these movies. This guy was the one who had brought the Muppets back together (TM2011), and he even knew what his hero Kermit would do when he realized that he has been replaced by a master criminal in MMW. It's adorable how much he depends on his heroes.:fanatic:

Grifoshka

Reaction score
Kermit: The Muppet Movie
Fozzie: The Great Muppet Caper
Electric Mayhem: The Muppet Movie

for all the reasons stated above. I couldn't have said it better myself. :smile:

Scooter: Muppets Most Wanted

The last two movies reinstated Scooter in his role he played on the Muppet Show - as Kermit's right-hand man. In the first two films he just kinda tagged along, in TMTM he had a more decent role, but he still didn't do much. I was nice to see him return to the job he was confident and comfortable with - filling in for Kermit, helping to run the show, trying to organize things around him. It started in The Muppets, but MMW expanded his role.

Gonzo: The Muppet Christmas Carol
I admit, I haven't seen Muppets From Space, so I'm choosing from all the other movies. TMCC gave Gonzo the role that allowed him to be one of the main characters, not to be involved in the plot (unlike MTI), and at the same time keep his character's quirks.