Dreamworks to make Captain Underpants movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
errr... um... okay?

Now I admit, I'm pretty much uninvolved with what Captain Underpants books are like, and the popularity of the franchise seems to have peaked years ago... but I'm very curious about the movie.

I think Dreamworks came quite a ways since Antz, Shrek and Shark Tale (2 being notorious clones of Pixar films... though... heh... I kinda liked some of the themes in Antz). I regret not being able to see How to Train your Dragon (I hear that's the masterwork). And even if this does happen, it's going to be well down the line. They have films scheduled up until 2014. Though, I wish they'd do something else besides Turbo, a movie where a snail gets super powers... something about that sounds... ugh.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I have been wondering when this would happen. These books are really fun and harmless, and a love letter to childhood creativity. Really wish they could do it in live action and have Paul Giamatti do it. Alas, a live-action kid's movie with a grown man running around in his underpants will probably not fly...

...unlike CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS, flying into theaters... sometime in the next five years! Tra-la-laaa! [/Announcer]

rowlfy662

Reaction score
a captian underpants movie sounds okay i think dreamworks could do a lot with it there are some good jokes in some of the books so good for dreamworks but a film about a film about a snail getting super powers they must of been short on ideas that day so i will take a captian underpants movie anyday

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's... bound to be scary...

I mean, DreamWorks always trives on making their characters look as realistic as possible... I think my eyes would burn at the sight of a realistic looking round man flying around in underwear... :eek:

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's... bound to be scary...

I mean, DreamWorks always trives on making their characters look as realistic as possible... I think my eyes would burn at the sight of a realistic looking round man flying around in underwear... :eek:
Actually, the realism only resides in the Shrek franchise. All their other movies have stylized humans and animals. Though they tend to look almost Incredibles-like some of the time. I REALLY love the crazy Colbert Caricature from Monsters Vs Aliens. I'm sure they'd have some compromise and make it look a little more like the book. We got one coming up based off a William Joyce book, and I hope they keep his designs in... His work inspired the looks of movies he was involved in, like Robots and Meet the Robinsons... and they both had some funky character designs.

Seriously, Shrek is the film series that has my least favorite look to it. Uncanny valley and all that. But I LOVE how stuff like Megamind, Monsters VS Aliens, Madagascar, and even Bee Movie look. Say what you will about Bee Movie, I like the look of that film quite a bit. I can only guess what Peabody and Sherman's gonna look like. PLEASE keep it Jay Ward/UPA looking.

Still... I kinda wish they'd make a movie about the same author's OTHER books... the one about the cavemen cops.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Though they tend to look almost Incredibles-like some of the time.
Yeah, I still say Reese Witherspoon's character in Monsters Vs. Aliens looked like a knock-off of Mirage from The Incredibles, just not as pencil-thin.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I have been wondering when this would happen. These books are really fun and harmless, and a love letter to childhood creativity. Really wish they could do it in live action and have Paul Giamatti do it. Alas, a live-action kid's movie with a grown man running around in his underpants will probably not fly...
Which is why I thought they'd never make a Captian Underpants movie in a million years. Glad I was wrong, I love the books and hope the movie is as good.

Any word on whether it's going to be a direct adaptation of one of the books or not?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Any word on whether it's going to be a direct adaptation of one of the books or not?
They rarely are... even if they do, they rarely come out the same. Though, it took Kung Fu Panda and How to Train your Dragon to get the writer of the original books to okay the idea... Somehow, I just don't see the characters translating to 3-D CGI all that well... maybe they could try a hybrid movie with 2-D characters?

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
errr... um... okay?

Now I admit, I'm pretty much uninvolved with what Captain Underpants books are like, and the popularity of the franchise seems to have peaked years ago... but I'm very curious about the movie.

I think Dreamworks came quite a ways since Antz, Shrek and Shark Tale (2 being notorious clones of Pixar films... though... heh... I kinda liked some of the themes in Antz). I regret not being able to see How to Train your Dragon (I hear that's the masterwork). And even if this does happen, it's going to be well down the line. They have films scheduled up until 2014. Though, I wish they'd do something else besides Turbo, a movie where a snail gets super powers... something about that sounds... ugh.
I was waitin for this to happen it wasn't long before they made a Captain Underpants movie, I wonder if it will be live-action, that would look a bit weird, a man flying around in his underpants, How Many parents do you think will bring their kids to see that

Drtooth

Reaction score
If there's one movie Dreamworks SHOULD make, it's feature length, CGI version of their old Fox Kids cartoon show, Toonsylvania
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXHU6HW07-Q
provided they get the writers back, and the original voice actors. Seriously... this was like, my favorite thing they ever did. You can't even find episodes online. They need to get this thing out to DVD or iTunes or something. It was too brilliant to hide in a closet.