Dreadlocks question

ZombieJellyfish

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've poked around the forum and found a little info on these, but I wanted to see what else you guys might know.

I want to make a set of dreds for a puppet of mine, similar to clifford's dreds.

From what I understand, I have to get "felting" or "roving" wool tops (which, as far as I get it, is just loose wool fibers), get it wet with a little dish soap, then roll them up and let them dry.

From there I was gonna cut them flat on one side and hot glue them to my puppets head.

Is this a good way to do it? Anyone tried before?

GabeFirestone

Reaction score
at any local knitting store, you can find wool yarn that looks like dreds... this may be easier, unless you already have an exact look that you're going for

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
That would be my suggestion (using thick wool). If you want to make the dreds thicker pieces can be woven or knitted together.

Sam Bald Eagle

Reaction score
i sew up tubes of short pile faux fur then sew them to a base piece esentially creating a mini dreadlock wig. that way tou can control the thickness of them.....you can also put wire in them if you want them posable

SJohnson

Reaction score
When I made a sheep dog puppet, I wanted a kind of dreadlocks look, so I used thick wool yarn and misted it with a mixture of water and white glue (I got that tip from the forum, and it worked great:wink: ). The water glue mixture keeps the yarn from unraveling and becoming an afro. Even after a whole summer of performing, the sheep dog still looks great. Click here to see a picture: http://swazzle.com/blogs/2006/05/sherman-sheepdog.html

Good luck.