Don Knotts Episode on Disney+

Muppet Master

Reaction score
The Don Knotts episode has always been one of my favorites and I've probably seen it at least 10-15 times. For those unfamiliar with it, the plot features Fozzie running the show and impressing the band (particularly Floyd) after he chooses "Lullaby of Birdland" for them to play. I get that they couldn't get the rights to the big "Lullaby of Birdland" number but it's still so jarring for someone so familiar with it. The episode is literally butchered beyond belief. Whole backstage scenes are either slashed or removed and the episode ends with a Swedish Chef skit as the "closing number". Essentially, any mention of the number is removed. I feel bad anyone who watches that episode for the first time on Disney+ because it's really a very good one but is just so bizarre to watch when they've taken out so many scenes. Would I have preferred it to just be omitted altogether? Probably not. But it's still a hilarious edit job if anyone wants to check it out.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
The Don Knotts episode has always been one of my favorites and I've probably seen it at least 10-15 times. For those unfamiliar with it, the plot features Fozzie running the show and impressing the band (particularly Floyd) after he chooses "Lullaby of Birdland" for them to play. I get that they couldn't get the rights to the big "Lullaby of Birdland" number but it's still so jarring for someone so familiar with it. The episode is literally butchered beyond belief. Whole backstage scenes are either slashed or removed and the episode ends with a Swedish Chef skit as the "closing number". Essentially, any mention of the number is removed. I feel bad anyone who watches that episode for the first time on Disney+ because it's really a very good one but is just so bizarre to watch when they've taken out so many scenes. Would I have preferred it to just be omitted altogether? Probably not. But it's still a hilarious edit job if anyone wants to check it out.
Okay. I'm glad I saw this post, because I did start watching TMS with my girlfriend including the two original pilot episodes ("The Valentine's Show" and "Sex and Violence" from the DVD collection). Right now we're on season one and we did watch the Jim Nabors episode on Disney+ and that one was complete unlike on the DVD. But when we get to the Don Knotts ep, we'll have to remember to watch that one on the DVD so we can see it in it's entirety. So it's good to get a heads up on that one.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Okay. I'm glad I saw this post, because I did start watching TMS with my girlfriend including the two original pilot episodes ("The Valentine's Show" and "Sex and Violence" from the DVD collection). Right now we're on season one and we did watch the Jim Nabors episode on Disney+ and that one was complete unlike on the DVD. But when we get to the Don Knotts ep, we'll have to remember to watch that one on the DVD so we can see it in it's entirety. So it's good to get a heads up on that one.
Yep, make sure to view the DVD version of this one. But after that, feel free to check out (or skim through) the edited Disney+ version for a good laugh.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yep, make sure to view the DVD version of this one. But after that, feel free to check out (or skim through) the edited Disney+ version for a good laugh.
May as well. I had enough experience with things like that when ABC used to butcher the Looney Tunes cartoons on the Bugs & Tweety Show airings. :smile:

Plus that one is notable for Richard Hunt's first attempt as Janice before her valley girl persona settled in. Rully.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I watched this to see how Disney+ edited it. The final scene is an especially bad edit (showing a wipe during the scene). I can't decide whether it would have just been better to start that part with Floyd telling Fozzie to take off his shades.

Would it have been so bad if they left in all the parts that mention Lullaby of Birdland while editing the whole number?

Those who previously hadn't seen the episode or read details on it would probably be confused as to why Floyd is suddenly giving Fozzie shades (and why he suddenly wants him to remove them).

The last backstage scene fades to black after Fozzie says he wishes his hip-ness came with a flashlight... With the way that cut transition is done, it's actually perfect. It's as if Fozzie wishes he had a flashlight and then the lights turned off.

It astounds me that they made all these confusing edits, yet the Brooke Shields episode is unavailable over whatever music rights, which everyone things is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (well, there's not many songs that need clearing in that one). I feel like removing that number would be more natural than the edits here (just end before Brooke suggests they sing a song).

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I watched this to see how Disney+ edited it. The final scene is an especially bad edit (showing a wipe during the scene). I can't decide whether it would have just been better to start that part with Floyd telling Fozzie to take off his shades.

Would it have been so bad if they left in all the parts that mention Lullaby of Birdland while editing the whole number?

Those who previously hadn't seen the episode or read details on it would probably be confused as to why Floyd is suddenly giving Fozzie shades (and why he suddenly wants him to remove them).

The last backstage scene fades to black after Fozzie says he wishes his hip-ness came with a flashlight... With the way that cut transition is done, it's actually perfect. It's as if Fozzie wishes he had a flashlight and then the lights turned off.

It astounds me that they made all these confusing edits, yet the Brooke Shields episode is unavailable over whatever music rights, which everyone things is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (well, there's not many songs that need clearing in that one). I feel like removing that number would be more natural than the edits here (just end before Brooke suggests they sing a song).
That's an interesting point, they could have kept in all the backstage scenes and just not had the number. That almost feels very muppet-like to tease something for so long and then have it not appear. They also could have just omitted the episode instead of doing that laughable editing job.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Well, thank goodness for the uncut version on TimeLife.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
the uncut version is on the second season DVD. It was never released by Time-Life.
No, I was referring to the Brooke Shields episode.

Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific with my post there.