Do you want a Palisades Muppet Babies Playset?

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Vet's Hospital is definitely at the top of my playset wish list. I would MUCH prefer VH to BOP.

In terms of mass appeal, I don't see a nursery playset pulling in non-Muppet fan figure collectors. Maybe if Toys R Us put it next to the Barbies, but not next to the Simpson figures and Matchbox cars.

Yes, Jamie is right, I said Pop's diner because Jenny calls him Pops in the movie-- so that's how I think of it.

I could see the diner being a really interesting playset. It would need some alterations from the movie set to work as a playset (and not be twice the size of the Chef's kitchen). I would move the kitchen so that it is behind the counter. Just a stove top (sink and fridge if there's room, but they aren't essential). Then you get the counter (with swivel stools) and one or two booths. Give it a real 50s diner feel. Burgers and fries in baskets, a shake with two straws (Piggy will insist on it so she can try and force Kermit into a romantic dinner). Definitely a jukebox. And the essential rats. I could see non-Muppet fans wanting a 50s-esque diner for use with other figures. It's pretty classically American. Don't know how well it would do overseas, but that is really a secondary market for Palisades.

This is all just spec anyway-- the kitchen and PIS playsets have to do a lot better than the lab and EM stage if we're going to have a chance at any of this.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MuppetQuilter
the kitchen and PIS playsets have to do a lot better than the lab and EM stage if we're going to have a chance at any of this.
I really thgink they will. And I love the diner idea. I was wondering how to get the kitchen into the diner and that is a great idea. Just a bit of a stovetop behind the counter so we assume the rest of the kithcen is in the back.

WiGgY

Reaction score
I don't know about a Pete's diner set. There are so many other sets to do. Pete's doesn't really have any appeal to me at all. Neither does a Happiness hotel lobby. These sets would run the risk of being too non muppet like and out of place. A hot air balloon set from TGMC would probably sell better because it would have more bright color and play ability. Just Half a balloon for size sake and a reporter Gonzo. I had the idea of a reporter Fozzie hat to come with it but then someone said some hats only go on upside down. Maybe just a tiny press card the snuggly fits in his already existing hat.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
I think Annika said "Pop's" diner because that's what Jenny called her father in thre movie, "Pop".
I though Jenny Called her father Pop because he was her pop in the movie;-)

and about the pete's diner kitchen, just use the chef's kitchen:smile:

zack

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
Yup, i think Jamies right about the licensing - thats what i remember too. I think a Muppet Babies playset would be a huge mistake - sure it'd be popular with a small group of Muppet fans but it'd probably flop in the stores.
Luke

Luke, I am going to have disagree. Right now the 80's are big in the entertainment industry especially comics and toys with He-Man and Trasnformers. The Muppet Babies were such a big part of that decade that even non-Muppet fan would be interested in them. You would be surprised how big of a fan base that Muppet Babies have.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Originally posted by Bean Bunny
Luke

the 80's are big in the entertainment industry [... ] The Muppet Babies were such a big part of that decade that even non-Muppet fan would be interested in them.
I disagree. While that is true for a certain age group, there are many Muppet fans who loved the Muppets before Muppet Babies and were too old for the cartoon in the 80s. Most of us who were in high school and college (and beyond) in the 80s don't have any real fondness for Muppet Babies, particularly for the cartoon.

What the Muppet figure line *needs* is to catch on with non-Muppet fans. It needs to appeal to action figure fans who aren't necessarily all that big on the Muppets. I don't think that demographic is going to stand on line for Muppet Babies.

WiGgY

Reaction score
I disagree again. I think there are people that grew up watching muppet babies and would like to see some figures. I grew up watching the muppet babies and I'm sure there are others who have as well. I'd buy a figure per series. I wouldn't like to a whole series of just muppet babies though. One per series after the licnese is renewed is all I would need. I think one thing that would help the muppet baby figures sell is that all the muppet babies are main characters. Kermit, Fozzie, Piggy, Gonzo, Rowlf, and Scooter (ok he's not a real main character but I have an idea for that). To sell more of scooter, there could be a two part semi large accessory. Half in one figure and half in the other. And if palisades gets the license for the cartoon then we could get a baby Animal. If these particular figures sell well then maybe a small playset could be sold.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I can see both sides of this, but the projected action figure market isn't really a Muppet Babies one, but they are still popular. I just don't think a quality figure would matter much to the majority of Muppet Babies collectors.

I also have a personal note about it - I never really liked the show. I've already discussed at length why, but I also didn't like how they saturated the Muppet market that resulted in nearly all of the Muppet merchandise being taken over by the Muppet Babies. No, it's not the Babies fault, but I just think there' s been a steady stream of that stuff through the years and this is the real, classic Muppets chance to shine. I'd certainly buy the babies (only ones made by Palisades) but they are very low priority.

I must say that I am surprised to see how many Muppet fans like those darn babies. There is definitely a market for them, I just don't think it's an upscale adult action figure line market. PVC figures would do fine for babies fans. However, I know Palisades would do a stellar job.

kansasteen14

Reaction score
I think just slipping a baby or two into a pvc set would be good to see how popular they are. I think the next playsets we need after the next two are(in order):

Happiness Hotel
Vets Hospital
The Hispanolia

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Movie playsets

I don't know, i'm not big on some of the movie sets, the movie figures are fine but i'm think about the diner...this is what it would be, tables, chairs, a bar, fozzie and miss piggy won't be able to sit...kicthen like setting...already done with the swedish chef.

not to say it would be cool, but how many muppets would be able to fit inside, who would it come with, it would have to be really big, and why spend all that money on a set that isn't the biggest classic thing for the muppets.

The Hispanolia same neat but also it would have to be big and we would only have Sam and who ever came with the ship from MTI If, (if is the magic word) it was the set after PIS. it's would be like if Lew zealand came in place of bunsen and bunsen came in lew zelands place you would have to wait till series three to put Bunsen in the lab with beaker. now to understand that the EM band is not coming to gether in the same set is diffrent, Busnen and beaker are a very close pair like statler and waldorf, you "would" want to have them in the same series.

Over time let MIT chararters come out then maybe after three or four carded figs from MTI are release then make the ship with another MTI character.

I think you have to be careful with Movie sets, the best movie set would be the EM bus. Plus you would want stuff that youcan really do something with or have a really nice display, that's why i think VH and BOP work because yu can make a really nice display and people will know what's going on regardless of if they remember the skit or not.

it's either Muppets sitting in a diner "what's this? the "Muppet Cafe?"

or Fozzie as a police man with the Pig from Pigs in space (link hogthrob)in a police station with beaker locked in the jail cell.
it seem's like a fun set to me.

Zack)Rowlf the, remember all of are opintions are..opintion's and we really don't know what could happen, some seem a lot more likey then other's but it could just come back and bite you on the butt,Dog.