Do you ever feel ashamed for liking Sesame Street?

Ziffel

Reaction score
I know what you mean Xerus. Interestingly though, in the late 80's whenever Alf (I know not a muppet) was on it seemed like he got picked a lot. :smile:

ssetta

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
ssetta said:
And I love to swing on the swings at the age of 20, so I went on the swings.

If it makes you feel less alone, I'm 37 and I love to swing,too! In fact, back in august on my birthday, my mother (who is in her 60's), and my grandmother (who is over 80), and my husband and I, took my 2 daughters down to the park thats 2 blocks from our house. My husband brought his camara and got a picture of 4 generations of mothers and daughters - sitting in the park swings! Afterword (with grandma gracefully bowing out on this one), my daughters, my mother, and I, all swung as high as we could on those things! That's a 20 month old, a 3year old, a 37 year old and a 65 yr old, all swinging on a swing set at the park! And (get this!) my mothers psychology therapist had recomended she do it! He claims it is a good way to help you get in touch with your "inner child". (Fortunately I have been lucky enough never to have lost mine.) But if you ever want a response to come back at that director with, give her that one!:big_grin:
Well, she actually did give me another reason, but I didn't necessarily agree. She said that some parents can get upset if they see an adult in the playground with no little kids. And the thing is, the pavillion and the softball field were being reserved for the Springboard picnic. The playground was NOT. So, basically, I was in an area where I wasn't supposed to be, which is also something I do a lot if I'm bored. And Cheryl was actually very nice. Because someone like Andy's mother (SCOOTER_101) would have said something like, "HEY! Get off that **** it's for babies!!!" But I have officially left that program after...I think it's been about 4 years now. And interestingly enough, the very day before that, I went to an Ashlee Simpson concert, and I had a BALL....until the end when I waited for her to come out after the show, and she did, but I missed her, it like ruined the whole night, and the rest of my life. So I think the swing incident must have had something to do with that as well.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
I love Sesame Street too at 34.

Here's a question we should all ask ourselves:

Do you think we all like SS because it's something from our childhood that we cling to because it reminds us of fond memories from when we were young?

Is Sesame Street like "comfort food" for the soul?

Pino

Reaction score
Xerus said:
I don't see SS as a show just for kids. I see is as art. Where puppeteers, writers, and cartoonists can show off their works and talents. I'm a cartoonist and I've always dreamed about making a cartoon or two for Sesame Street.
Right with you... I love it how they use lovely coloured fleece and hairy cloth to make loveble creatures. It makes my day when I see something from Sesame Street. Only a pitty I dont know anyone else to watch a movie with me or to share other Sesame Street things

Ziffel

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
Here's a question we should all ask ourselves:

Do you think we all like SS because it's something from our childhood that we cling to because it reminds us of fond memories from when we were young?

For me there is certainly that nice nostalgia from my early childhood days that is present with SS. But, I really do love the show for itself too. I thought it was an absolutely brilliant and fun to watch program. Whenever I saw the old clips again in the 80's and 90's I felt they were magnificent and far superior to the new material on the show. So while just seeing anything from the early 70's is kind of special simply do to the fact that it was the era of my earliest memories, I think SS is one show that was awesome on its own merits as well. For instance, I would enjoy some nostalgia from seeing children's shows like "The New Zoo Review" and "Zoom" again, but would not find the shows themselves nearly as pleasing as SS.

superfan

Reaction score
Pino said:
Right with you... I love it how they use lovely coloured fleece and hairy cloth to make loveble creatures. It makes my day when I see something from Sesame Street. Only a pitty I dont know anyone else to watch a movie with me or to share other Sesame Street things
Exactly, Pino!! Finding someone to experience it with you the way you do is very tricky! Thankfully I convinced my co-op student to watch my A&E Biography tape. She's talking it home with her tomorrow. It KILLS me that I can't watch it with her to guage her reaction to certain things.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I guess this is a good place to post this. I sort of felt ashamed the other day. A while a go I was talking about "Sesame Street" on IM with someone on this forum. (I won't drop any names or anything like that.) Then last night, I found someone on IM with a similar screenname. I thought it was the person. Then when I asked if the person still watches the show and mentioned that I've seen it, they didn't seem to know what I was talking about. To make things worse, I found out I was talking to a girl that I found through a dating site. Only I didn't realize that until later on. I really felt embarassed about that. I guess if that girl doesn't talk to me anymore, I'll know why. I just thought I'd post it here. Maybe talking about it with fellow Muppet fans would make me feel better about the situation.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Hey Ken, believe it or not. You really have nothing to worry about. While some people might tell you it's not cool what happened, well then those people are old fashioned. See years ago the ideal man that all the girls wanted was usually rugged, tough, an outdoorsman mabye. Well wer'e in 2005 now, girls like guys who are innocent, and kids at heart. Believe me I know. I have always impressed women more by acting sensitive and somewhat innocent, then I have by acting tough and macho. This girl won't mind that your'e into Sesame Street believe me, she'll probably think that's it's very cute that a guy your age likes this show. This has always been the result for me when a girl finds out I like it. Things aren't always as they seem. I'm never afraid of admitting it, I just come right out and say it.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I'm glad I finally got a response here. I did send another e-mail to her. Whether still respond or not, I don't know. Every girl is different, so this girl might not have the same opinion as girls you talked to. She might be 'old-fashioned.' Then again, you might be right. After all, it seems like she's into Spongebob. I guess we'll just wait and see how things go. Either way, thanks for responding. That helped me feel better.

MJTaylor

Reaction score
Well, for most of my childhood I had no problem watching Sesame Street. Then a week before my 13th birthday my brothers and our cousin Susan gave me a hard time because I wanted to watch it and they were watching the other channel. (We only had two channels in those days.) They told me off for wanting to watch a 'baby show'. I had come to expect that from my brothers but not Susie. So I spent the next 12 years feeling embassed at still being into Sesame Street. Then at 25 I discovered the WWW and found out that there were many other adults in the same boat and now I no longer feel alone. So thank God for Phillip Chapman and Muppet Central.
Still, the show is not as good as before. I wish I could see the early shows once more. Even the ones where the grown-ups thought Big Bird was imanging Snuffle Upagus. I used to hate those, but now that everyone sees him, I think I would see the funny side.