Disney?

kansasteen14

Reaction score
How many of you have ACTUALLY been to Disneyland or Walt Disney World and seen Muppet Vision 3D? how many of you have sene more than 5 Disney movies all the way through.if you have done those please tell me if you you hate Disney and why? please tell me if you like Disney and why. I am a Disney fanatic and know about 90 percent of all info on it.

gymkatarules

Reaction score
This should be in the other thread and maybe I shouldn't respond, but here goes:

I live in Orlando and have been to Disney World countless times. I've been to Disneyland many times when I lived out west. I have a copy of MuppetVision 3D and the pre-show. I don't hate Disney in general, and I don't think anyone does, but you have to admit that they sure do put out a lot of garbage nowadays. Disney used to take on projects because he believed in them and wanted to make them something special. But, Cinderella II? A sequel to Hunchback of Notre Dame? Come on. I mean, honestly. There's plenty more to complain about, but suffice it to say that they can be just as fake as any other huge corporation these days. Sad.

So, there you are. Does that answer it?

-Chris

GWGumby

Reaction score
Q: How exactly do you have a copy of the MuppetVision show? Is it obtainable in a non-3D format? Or is it from a tourists camcorder?

radionate

Reaction score
I'll bite on this thread.

Growing up there were three loves in my love. Disney, animation, and Muppets. I devoured everything I could find about them. Read every book, watched every documentary, and saw every movie.

I'm still a fan of Disney, to a degree. There is a wonderful nostalgia that goes along with it, and when I see golden classics like Bambi or Sleeping Beauty, I recall many of the behind the scenes stories and tidbits that make me appreciate it all the more.

The few times I've been to the parks I was more enthralled with hidden mickeys and useless trivia then the rides themselves. While everyone is clammering to shake Mickey's Hand on Main Street, I'm busy looking at window displays and taking pictures of the second story windows with the names of behind the scenes folks.

I own every ORIGINAL Disney animated film released to video. But that is where my disgust begins.

Yes Disney has created some amazing things in years gone by, but the scale of quality product is tipping more and more toward crap. Examples:

1.) Capitalizing on Direct to Video Features. Yes this is lucrative for a buisness as home video sales and now DVDs for children is a multi billion dollar business every year. But does Disney need to spit out crap based on classics of American Cinema? If a story is told right, there is no need to go back and revisit them. (exceptions are few an far between, but as a rule of thumb this is true) Cinderella is supposed to live happily ever after. Not re-unite with the mice for further adventures. The animated sequals not only look cheap, but they cheapen the original, and will have no place in my home. PERIOD.

2.) Slap the label on it, and it'll sell. Disney is ruining their brand name, but slapping the Disney label on stuff and making people think it'll be a quality product. This mainly applies towards movies. Look at things like the live action remakes of classics like That Darn Cat or now the upcoming Freaky Friday. Or better yet, things like The Country Bears where they take a beloved part of the park, and turn it into celluloid fodder for tweens.

3.) Removing the charm from the parks. Now I haven't been to a park in ten years, but I gotta tell you, its looking to me like more and more of the charm that made the parks what they are is being replaced with either crappy cheap thrill rides, or a 'hot for the moment' property (which actually started with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles showing up at MGM and has now turned into things like Toon Disney parades). Disneyland closed down the Bear Country Jamboree. Walt Disney World got rid of Mr. Toad's Wild ride. These are amazing attractions. There's still talk all the time of getting rid of Mr. Lincon too. Does nobody realize the significance that one little audio animatronic statue has? Yeah its nothing compared with some of the things possible today, but that started it all.

Those are just some of the problems I have with Disney right now. Could it change? Possibly. If the powers that be are willing to take more risks in creativity and art like Lilo and Stitch. It breaks my heart though to realize that Lilo may be the last traditional animation (i.e. non CGI) film that we will every see from the House of Mouse.

You hear that whirring sound? It's Walt spinning in his grave!

EmmyMik

Reaction score
You know, I've never been to either Disney Land or Disney World. My family is the kind of family that doesn't take vacations (our idea of a vacation is going to the Wal-Mart or something).

However, I do love the "classic" Disney movies. I *love* "Sleeping Beauty" (when I was younger I used to act out the movie as I watched it. I'd try to play as many parts as possible). Then there's "Bambi", "Sword in the Stone", "Robin Hood", and so on. The only one of the "classics" that I have never really liked was "Snow White".

I just don't like what Disney has become. Making sequals to movies where a sequal isn't necessary or is just plain stupid ("And they lived happily ever after" has turned into "And lived happily ever after... until the sequal."). And then I get all grumpy and riled up...

beaker

Reaction score
Dont forget the other garbage like Little Mermaid 2 and Tarzan 2!

As for that MV3D copy...yeah, whats up? I have a rather shoddy camcorder version of it...but does anyone hav ea nice archival 2d scan of it on vhs?

Finally, as you can tell from all the threads, its obvious we dont hate Disney. Most of us have a very find appreciation for them...were just apprehensive of what an all out buyout would mean, as well as recognize that Disney has been...um, cutting corners for a cheap buck as of late.

kansasteen14

Reaction score
ok everyone made some good points,but the Theme Parks are GREAT I just went to WDW last May and am going to DL in Nov.

gymkatarules

Reaction score
Nah, I'm just the "tourist with the camcorder." Though I do live here...so, I'm not really a tourist. 2d copies don't exist outside of Henson's hands, I'm pretty sure, so you'll never find it. Oh, and 3d glasses don't work. The frame rate prevents it. Oh, well.

-Chris

P.S.- I've suggested it a similar idea before: let's everyone here raise about $30 million dollars each, then we'll all buy Disney and do things right. Hehe.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>2d copies don't exist outside of Henson's hands, I'm pretty sure, so you'll never find it. <<<

ok *whew* I thought I was gonn ahave to start whining for a tape trade:wink: anyways, hopefully one of these days we'll get ahold of a 2d scan...I mean that sure beats playing thousands to travel to orlando or disney adventure. what do they charge to get into calif adv, $185? sheesh.

Oh, and 3d glasses don't work. The frame rate prevents it. Oh, well<<<

someone should have told that to the person filming my copy! hehe

gymkatarules

Reaction score
Someday, a long, long time down the road, after the attraction is gone, who knows? Maybe they will release the film. Doubtful, though. I'm still waiting for Captain EO. Heh heh.

-Chris