Disney to Release 'Muppets Movie' Next Thanksgiving

beaker

Reaction score
As I matter of fact, I have seen Muppets in person, at the D23 Expo last year.
Good times..

I wasen't saying anything against them, I was just making a point....

Ok, its been nice and all, but time for me to "go bye-bye!" and move on to other Internet places, I'm afraid that I can only take so much closed-mindedness.

I'm still a Muppet/Disney fan though. :smile:
So long guys! :shifty:

I'll see ya at the theater next year.
Well shoot, Frogboy and I are in California. I know many others here would be willing to travel. I say if there is not an official
"Muppet fan weekend" at Disneyland or WDW next year that we make D23 2011 an unofficial fan meetup.

Im jealous! I got all the youtube clips I could of the Sunday Muppet stuff at D23. So amazing they also did a signing. Were you able to go to that? What was your experience like?

beaker

Reaction score
That's exactly what he was probably saying, and that's the same way I feel. For me, there's a difference between a guy in a large Oscar the Grouch costume and Carol (or another puppeteer) being there and performing the character. Which brings me to this thought... I PERSONALLY believe that How to be a Grouch WAS indeed written by Oscar, as Carol did write and draw the book, giving it that personal touch. It's the same as an actor performing a specific character (let's say if Paul Reubens were to be PeeWee in person, you'd belive he was PeeWee)... you really can't have that with cartoons. however, I do believe you can have a phone conversation WITH a cartoon, as long as the voice actor is on the other end. I had a great opportunity with that once.

But to me, it doesn't matter if it's Mickey, Scooby-Doo or Sonic the Hedgehog... a person in a big plastic and fur suit taller than you cannot be the same thing... even if the park employees were allowed to do impersonations and talk, they'd still be guys in suits... though, to be fair, with the princesses, at LEAST they're more realistic and to scale with real life. Though, it's not like it ISN'T fun to take pictures with them. I like that, and I DESPISE being photographed. Really, you ever want to take my picture? Dress up as a cartoon character. Best thing about conventions, am I right? And Disney's Imagineers are always striving to break then surly bonds of reality... but let's face it... reality is a VERY solid thing that cannot be broken. There is NO WAY Roger Rabbit and Toontown could ever exist in real life, no matter how hard you wish and try for it when you're a little kid. That said, Muppets break the bonds of reality a LOT more convincing with less.

I've said billions of times, I don't care if the puppeteer is looking straight right at you, your eyes NEVER go to him when he's performing. I saw Carol in person as Oscar (and kick myself for NOT asking if I could stay and get my picture taken) at a book signing... and Oscar was there... he was.

But then that gets me to wondering... WOULD we accept a park performer (someone who is a hired official, classicly trained puppeteer, that is) as Kermit or Piggy? I dunno if I would... I might... it would be a fun experience...
Ooh you got to see Carol/Oscar in person too? Sweet. Wasnt it amazing? Yeah thats why I supported the "1 hand 1 muppet" or whatever that campaign was, because these guys are masters of their craft. Even tho I loathe Elmo and his over exposure, Kevin Clash is one of the most premiere and gifted performers for how he's able to pull it all off. These characters are really extentions of their signature performer.

Man I wish toon town was still associated with roger rabbit at disney parks. They totally stripped it of its roger rabbit ness. Holographic Monsters Inc characters in the newer ride at California Adventure are pretty cool