Disney Store Reopens in San Francisco!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You havent been to Toys R Us or a comic store lately have you? They have a ton of Pook a Looz looking DC characters in plush form, complete with the button looking eyes.

Remember, the "Disney" part of the Marvel marketing and such won't get going for some time.
Disney's got lots of Marvel stuff online, some in the the shop and will do lots more down the line too. We must remember that Marvel probably has long term licensing deals with non-Disney manufacturers. That limits Disney's hand in some ways for a while, but they've started injecting their product branding method on Marvel.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I personally wish just a 10th the energy they spend putting into Phineas and Pherb(which has been exploited and mass marketed to Spongebob like levels lately) would go to the Muppets.
I'm VERY thankful for that. Anytime a cartoon that ISN'T a crappy Japanese toy commercial or based off a toyline based off a movie based off a comic book based off a toyline or for preschoolers is as mass marketed as that these days, it's a bleeding miracle it is. The way that Disney was shoving their animated TV show interests off a cliff, and the fact they didn't want it in favor of the lame Tween Pop sitcoms (that put ALL of animated television in Jeopardy, mind you) was outright disturbing and disappointing. They almost didn't even take a chance on Phineas and Ferb, and since they did, they sent the message that animated TV programs can STILL be profitable. Something that ALL studios have to eventually learn. Even if they didn't we'd just see more princess stuff, anyway.

As for the Muppets, I wouldn't worry at all. The movie comes out next year, it only makes sense that the biggest push will happen next year. We just got a nice sample of it with various silk screen and plush goods. Anything figural will cost a fortune to produce, as you need a prototype sculpt and a mold. Much different than slapping a design on a beach towel or one of those useless aluminum bottles. It seems they really are giving them the push even now (though, I wish they'd have someone on T-Shirts besides Kermit and Animal)... problem was a lot of the stuff that was cleared out was seasonal... beach towels and Office supplies. We just have to wait. Besides, even without the Disney store, we're getting a wave of T-shirts and comics. Even the Phineas and Ferb comics are crappy cinemanga style without original stories and artworks. The toys will come later. Just wish they didn't have to wait for forever to release season 4.

You havent been to Toys R Us or a comic store lately have you? They have a ton of Pook a Looz looking DC characters in plush form, complete with the button looking eyes.
Yeah... those are the blobby Gloop and Gleep ones I was referring too. Pookalooz has a cool minimalistic faux homemade style (albeit one from Ugly Dolls), those JLA ones look like insects.

beaker

Reaction score
I'm VERY thankful for that. Anytime a cartoon that ISN'T a crappy Japanese toy commercial or based off a toyline based off a movie based off a comic book based off a toyline or for preschoolers is as mass marketed as that these days, it's a bleeding miracle it is. The way that Disney was shoving their animated TV show interests off a cliff, and the fact they didn't want it in favor of the lame Tween Pop sitcoms (that put ALL of animated television in Jeopardy, mind you) was outright disturbing and disappointing. They almost didn't even take a chance on Phineas and Ferb, and since they did, they sent the message that animated TV programs can STILL be profitable. Something that ALL studios have to eventually learn. Even if they didn't we'd just see more princess stuff, anyway.

As for the Muppets, I wouldn't worry at all. The movie comes out next year, it only makes sense that the biggest push will happen next year. We just got a nice sample of it with various silk screen and plush goods. Anything figural will cost a fortune to produce, as you need a prototype sculpt and a mold. Much different than slapping a design on a beach towel or one of those useless aluminum bottles. It seems they really are giving them the push even now (though, I wish they'd have someone on T-Shirts besides Kermit and Animal)... problem was a lot of the stuff that was cleared out was seasonal... beach towels and Office supplies. We just have to wait. Besides, even without the Disney store, we're getting a wave of T-shirts and comics. Even the Phineas and Ferb comics are crappy cinemanga style without original stories and artworks. The toys will come later. Just wish they didn't have to wait for forever to release season 4.

Yeah... those are the blobby Gloop and Gleep ones I was referring too. Pookalooz has a cool minimalistic faux homemade style (albeit one from Ugly Dolls), those JLA ones look like insects.
Well yeah, they've given P and F the all out Toy Story 3/Justin Beiber/holy crap I cant go anywhere without seeing their stuff treatment. I can only hope they do the same for the Muppets next year. I say its high time they come up with new Muppet characters, even if its to the chagrin of hardcore Muppet fans. ****, I say create tween girl marketed Muppet characters, why not. To be fair I have not seen F and P, who knows I may like it.
Just saying someone at Disney thought it'd be prudent to go overboard with marketing and merchandise. I'm not into Ben10, or a lot of the other popular kid's lines so at least it's something different.

Yeah Disney has been capitalizing on what artsy hipster folks like us have been fans of for years. And thats both the craftster/etsy DIY plush look and urban vinyl figures. Took awhile for it to catch big(I first got into that stuff around 2000) but now even Target heavily uses that style, and even had Domo Kun at one time as their official mascot. Im glad I was able to snatch up Fozzie, who I thought looked the best.

But there really was not much actual Muppet merch this year. Thats ok, as I have no doubt a tidal wave is on the horizon.

Btw, slightly O/T: what did you think of Toy Story 3? I should see it again, but my first time seeing it I felt depressed as beautiful as it looked. I also loved how Miyazaki's Totoro joined the main cast for a lot of the movie. I have to say of all the coming cgi films, TinTin, The Goon and Gatchaman(from the trailers and pix Ive seen) have me the most excited. Oh and Rango!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well yeah, they've given P and F the all out Toy Story 3/Justin Beiber/holy crap I cant go anywhere without seeing their stuff treatment. I can only hope they do the same for the Muppets next year. I say its high time they come up with new Muppet characters, even if its to the chagrin of hardcore Muppet fans. ****, I say create tween girl marketed Muppet characters, why not. To be fair I have not seen F and P, who knows I may like it.
Just saying someone at Disney thought it'd be prudent to go overboard with marketing and merchandise. I'm not into Ben10, or a lot of the other popular kid's lines so at least it's something different.

Yeah Disney has been capitalizing on what artsy hipster folks like us have been fans of for years. And thats both the craftster/etsy DIY plush look and urban vinyl figures. Took awhile for it to catch big(I first got into that stuff around 2000) but now even Target heavily uses that style, and even had Domo Kun at one time as their official mascot. Im glad I was able to snatch up Fozzie, who I thought looked the best.

But there really was not much actual Muppet merch this year. Thats ok, as I have no doubt a tidal wave is on the horizon.
I think as far as merchandise goes we will see something when the movie comes out, since... well, it only makes sense that it will. Then again, we're really seeing a smaller prehype push lately. Most of the stuff will be marketed to the older fans at first (though I'm dumbfragged as to why the Pepe shirt is kid's only :cry: ). And if you think about it, it wasn't until a couple years ago that Disney started marketing Mickey and Co. Still have dark visions of Winnie the Pooh and 101 Dalmatian stuff absolutely getting shoved in our faces.

Btw, slightly O/T: what did you think of Toy Story 3? I should see it again, but my first time seeing it I felt depressed as beautiful as it looked. I also loved how Miyazaki's Totoro joined the main cast for a lot of the movie. I have to say of all the coming cgi films, TinTin, The Goon and Gatchaman(from the trailers and pix Ive seen) have me the most excited. Oh and Rango!

Most of those I wanna see... but... I dunno... I've lost confidence in Imagi. If Gatchaman comes out (and they STILL give it the Japanese title... if they call it Battle of the Planets NO WAY I'm seeing it) I might see it. But it seems like any movie that had that many problems won't wind up so good. I wish they'd've used the Paul Dini script.

beaker

Reaction score
I think as far as merchandise goes we will see something when the movie comes out, since... well, it only makes sense that it will. Then again, we're really seeing a smaller prehype push lately. Most of the stuff will be marketed to the older fans at first (though I'm dumbfragged as to why the Pepe shirt is kid's only :cry: ). And if you think about it, it wasn't until a couple years ago that Disney started marketing Mickey and Co. Still have dark visions of Winnie the Pooh and 101 Dalmatian stuff absolutely getting shoved in our faces.

Most of those I wanna see... but... I dunno... I've lost confidence in Imagi. If Gatchaman comes out (and they STILL give it the Japanese title... if they call it Battle of the Planets NO WAY I'm seeing it) I might see it. But it seems like any movie that had that many problems won't wind up so good. I wish they'd've used the Paul Dini script.
Given the film comes out Christmas next year, Im pretty sure we're going to be seeing merchandise wayyy before that. My money is on the springtime. Certainly at Disney parks, they'll be getting a megaload of merch.

I lovvvved TMNT 2007 beyond words, but Astro Boy I never saw. They seemed to be so far into production in Gatchaman that I think even with the company on life support they can give the rights to have it released. Also given very few even remember "Battle of the Planets" as the rename to the early 70's Gatchaman, I doubt it will be renamed. All the promotion has that snazzy Gatchaman. Im so sick of animal/fairy tale/ho hum cgi kids films, that seeing images of TinTin has really piqued my interest. Rango too has a certain charm to it that seems so Terry Gilliam. Do you know of any other cgi film I should look out for? I dont know whats going on with the live action TMNT film tho. Paramount is trying to fast track it but they ditched the script and are paying to have it rewritten.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I dont know whats going on with the live action TMNT film tho. Paramount is trying to fast track it but they ditched the script and are paying to have it rewritten.
I am honestly not happy about Paramount's ownership. I'm sure we'll get some Cowabunga Pizza Eating "Let's go get Shredder, DUDES!" crap that's just copying the 80's series because that's the track they want to take. They weren't even like that in the first movie... except for Mikey... but he didn't say Dude every 2 seconds.