Disney greenlights "The Muppet Show" comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
(pokes head in after an earned break)

The writing is the best it has been since the days of Jerry Juhl. I don't take that lightly. I can actually see much of this as storyboarded material for a new Muppet television program.

The character inclusions, layout and colorizations are top shelf. Most of the character interpretations are attractive with a few exceptions (like Gonzo and Scooter) that will likely approve over time. The inclusion of Dr. Teeth in the 2nd cover's O is a lovely surprise.

I might not have time to review this for MC, but going on what I have seen so far it is at least deserving of a B. Probably more. :big_grin:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if that two-page spread after Muppet News is supposed to be an opening. It'd be great if something like that appears in every issue. I wonder if the same artwork would be used each time, or if it would always have differences. I'd prefer slightly different opening images, with different characters being included each time.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
The only small problem I had was that the Koosbannians talked. I don't think they ever did that on the Muppet Show, but the joke was funny, so I don' know.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I never thought this would work, for a moment.

But it does! It sooooo does! It's a great break for the Muppets, into this new form, and it's totally fabulous! I am overly excited and cannot wait to get my own copy!

SgtGonzoPepper

Reaction score
I'm loving this. I just ordered the first issue off BOOM!'s site. Roger Langridge has done a really good job. Everyone was put off by his style, but after seeing the finished product I'm really liking his take on the characters. Also, maybe it was just me, but the sketch with the 4 frogs seemed so much like something that would've been on the original show. Back when the sketches ended with explosions. Haha.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Folks, feast your eyes on this gorgeous, AMAZING big Muppet Show illustration MuppetNewsFlash just posted:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9d2U1aoLo...HNStKKH-Rw/s1600-h/Muppet+Show+Comic+Book.png

Seriously. Wow. I have no words.
Yeah... George and Beau exchanging confused stares? Priceless.

So far, I am LOVING how this is coming together... I'm sure Gonzo will look much better in future issues, but I really like the feel this comic has been given. Especially how the Muppet News segment was handled. That's pretty hard stuff to translate to comic form (Swedish Chef is almost impossible... I've tried a couple times).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I know that alot of times when somethign is released there is a "yoour thoughts" thread while thread slike this ge tclosed, but when the firs tcomic gets released I really think this should stay open, as it's for the comic serie sin general.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone know of any UK retailers that are going to be stocking these?

Chris

BlakeMP

Reaction score
I wodner if these will actually come out on the release dates. There have been a lot of Muppet books that I couldn't find ins tores until weeks after the original release dates (among them "Before You Leap", "My Life as a Furry Red Monster", and "Street Gang"). I hope I find this at my local Waldens Books on the day it comes out.
Unfortunately, that probably won't happen. The street date for a comic book release refers to the day it goes to the direct market (i.e., comic book shops and online retailers). It won't show up in bookstores and on newstands for another 2-3 weeks. And that's assuming that it even goes to newstands at all -- most books from Boom! Studios don't make it to the mass market in comic book form, only in the collected graphic novels. Now keep in mind, I say MOST. It's possible they've made arrangements to get these outside of the comic shops. Hopefully they have, I just don't know.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Unfortunately, that probably won't happen. The street date for a comic book release refers to the day it goes to the direct market (i.e., comic book shops and online retailers). It won't show up in bookstores and on newstands for another 2-3 weeks. And that's assuming that it even goes to newstands at all -- most books from Boom! Studios don't make it to the mass market in comic book form, only in the collected graphic novels. Now keep in mind, I say MOST. It's possible they've made arrangements to get these outside of the comic shops. Hopefully they have, I just don't know.
Oh. Please excuse me while I leave the room and scream some profanity...

(two minutes later)

Dang it! There aren't many comic book shops around where I live (that I know the way to). I don't go to those comic shops very often, so I'm not sure whether they sell new and used comics or just used. And I am not an online shopper. The only time I asked my parents to order me somethign online was winter 2004, the season of the Sweetums and Jim Henson Muppet action figures, the series 3 mini muppets only being available at Palisades Direct, and the Musicland stores not selling series 9 of the figures (and all of my local Electronic Boutiques stores stopped selling Muppet figures after series 4). And after putting all those on my christmas list, all I got were Sweetums, Lips, and Pops (of course, Lips and Pops were the only series 9 figures I had asked for...)

Still, I hope that the comic book stores I know how to get to will carry them tomorrow (though I have to work until 4). It's a shame that I didn't know this until now, the day before the release, after being so excited about the comic book since the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.