Disney announces Muppet DVDs to be Pan & Scan

Chad Kermit

Reaction score
Muppet Christmas Carol DVD

I don't understand the widescreen omission. Columbia put the pan and scan on one side and widescreen on the other for the classic Muppet films. Even when Disney released MCC on the Lazer Disc format they had a beautiful letterbox version of it on the Disc.

I am showing favorites here. But I would be happy if they just did MCC, which over time will only become more of a classic each holiday season.

Of course, it is little surprise. Disney for the most part does not offer a lot of bells and whistles on its DVDs for the most part. The exception is of course the Special Editions like Snow White. Even all the early successes they had with Bette Midler under the Touchstone label for the most part are unreleased on DVD. How many people would not want to get their hands on a letterboxed version of "Beaches". Well...not everyone of course but I for one would. lol One thing you have to applaud AOL for is that every year they release movies from their vaults since they own almost ALL of the old classics now. For instance I bought the "Big Sleep" on DVD and they dug up from the vaults an alternative cut of the film. So, on one dvd you get two versions of the same movie. And since family films tend to sell better than classics and adult fair, I don't understand disney's tactics. But one will never understand the mouse. Ok, this got way off track.

Chad

kustomboy

Reaction score
send an e-mail!

i sent them an e-mail and i suggest everyone else does it too. Willy Wonka got a widescreen release because of this!

smcguire

Reaction score
Originally posted by MuppetQuilter
Could someone post email and snail mail addresses so we know where to send out requests?
In addition to the addresses and web forms already mentioned here, you can call their video customer feedback line at:

1-800-72-DISNEY

and send them e-mail directly at:

disneyinfo@disneyhelp.com

--Scott McGuire

Chad Kermit

Reaction score
Thanks!!!

For the email and phone number to voice opinions to Disney Home Video about the upcoming DVD releases of the Muppet titles. I agree, the more that call and email: the more likely we are to get what we want.

Chad

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
UNITY IN NUMBERS!!

Especially if we're ALL calling their phone number! They'll get the hint sooner or later, I think, how BIG the Muppet Fan Community is.

FOZ

Muppets1985

Reaction score
Okay im confused here first evey one complans here (even me!) about MCC and MTL NOT being on Disney DVD, well i just want to tell u that ALL the Disney DVD's that i have don't say a thing about Wide Screen (Only my Disney's Remmber the Titans & Disney/Touchstone Coyote Ugly say Wide Screen on the DVD box) look here are the names of all my Disney dvd and DON"T say Wide Screen on the DVD box but do show up as a Wide Screen on the TV: Pearl Harbor, Snow Whit & the 7 Dwarfs, Lady and the Tramp 2, The Emperor's New Groove, Recess: Schools out, Atlantis, Cinderella 2, HunchBack of Noter Dame 2, BedKnobs & BroomSticks, and Dumbo and Peter Pan, and Mr. Magoo! and ya see thay don't say wide screen but the movie shows up as Wide Screen and lol lol i have to zoom in becouse the black line's bug me!(lol) but any ways i DID call Disney and e-mailed them to have it in Wide Screen!! see ya - Even tho i have both Muppet movies on video, i DO plan to buy both DVD's now!!!

Foreignman

Reaction score
I just wrote my letter. I really hope our letters get results. Plaease tell your friends to write too, we need all the hope we can get. Although I'm sure all us loyal Muppet fans will write in, there are only so many of us. So recruit, recruit, recruit!!! Thanks.:smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by Muppets1985
Okay im confused here first evey one complans here (even me!) about MCC and MTL NOT being on Disney DVD, well i just want to tell u that ALL the Disney DVD's that i have don't say a thing about Wide Screen Even tho i have both Muppet movies on video, i DO plan to buy both DVD's now!!!
Hiya,

If "THAT'S" what kinda stuff you want to settle for, roll with it man. I just get tired of seeing all companies destroying great films by cutting scenes out that was in the theatrical version, or by going full-screen instead of wide-screen. I have a few Disney DVD's as well, but if I can POSSIBLY make a difference (and FOR THE BETTER), I plan on doing it! AMEN! :smile: I'm certainly going to be willing to buy the MCC and MTI IF they are wide-screen options. The thing they did with Follow that Bird was a ruination and I feel gipped!!
Here's what I got today:
Subj: Re: Movie Finder Feedback/Comment/Question
Date: 4/24/2002 6:17:11 AM Central Daylight Time
To: FozzieMup@aol.com
Sent from the Internet (Details)
Kevin,
Thank you for your email.
Please call Walt Disney Home Entertainment's toll-free number: 1-800-723-4763
(in Canada: 1-888-877-BVHE) for assistance.
Hot releases. Cool deals. Click here to register with Disney Video & DVD - sign
up to receive the Disney Video and DVD Insider Newsletter containing the latest
offers from Walt Disney Home Video.
http://disney.go.com/DisneyVideos/registrationa
Disney can't even respond to a consumer's wishes and say yea or nay. Anyhow, I'm going to call them, and I hope others do, too!

Love to all,
FOZ

smcguire

Reaction score
Originally posted by Muppets1985
Okay im confused here first evey one complans here (even me!) about MCC and MTL NOT being on Disney DVD, well i just want to tell u that ALL the Disney DVD's that i have don't say a thing about Wide Screen [...] Even tho i have both Muppet movies on video, i DO plan to buy both DVD's now!!!
I'm not sure the fact that your DVD boxes say "widescreen" on them or not is really relevant here. And even though they don't have the word "widescreen" on them, probably they say "1.85:1 aspect ratio" and "1.66 aspect ratio" as one of the features - that means "widescreen."

Anyway, several major DVD sites have contacted Disney and confirmed that they are planning to release the two Muppet DVDs as full frame only.

Buying the DVDs now despite this is tempting, but really sends the wrong message to Disney. We want to send them a message both in writing and via sales. If you want widescreen versions of the DVDs, do not buy these now. Call and write Disney and tell them you aren't buying them now, but you will buy them if they're released as widescreen.

If Disney doesn't change their mind, you can always buy the DVDs later. But if they see tons of people buying the DVDs anyway, why would they listen to us?

--Scott McGuire

smcguire

Reaction score
Originally posted by FOZZI3B3AR

The thing they did with Follow that Bird was a ruination and I feel gipped!!
Actually, it was Warner Brothers who released "Follow That Bird" as pan and scan, not Disney. Warners has been guilty of this with several "family" titles. Much as we are upset with Disney's decisions regarding the two Muppet DVDs, let's not blame them for other folk's mistakes too!

I know someone else posted a web link with a feedback form, but I've been told by folks at DVD websites the best place to send your feedback is:

1-800-72-DISNEY

disneyinfo@disneyhelp.com

(Yeah, yeah, i'm repeating myself here.)

Definitely both call and e-mail Disney regarding the Muppet DVDs.

--Scott McGuire / smcguire@mit.edu