Disco D vs. D Duah Dua

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Been quite a while since I last started any "versus" threads for similar segments. But which D song do you like better - Disco D or D Duah Duah (aka Be MY D)?

They are both disco sounding songs about the letter D that came out within a few years of each other, where the vocalists are clearly not any of the main Muppet performers and the characters singing were never seen again.

I'd say I prefer D Duah Duah. It's really been in my head lately.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I think they're both pretty catchy songs in their own right; "Disco D" has that funky 70s soul disco melody that gets your head bopping. "D Duah Duah" has kind of an upbeat comforting 70s disco feel to it (best way I can describe it).

The more I look at the latter though, I sometimes feel like the character of Bushman Bill at the beginning and end..... felt a little unnecessary. I think the song could have easily just started off going into the video with the girls performing the song on stage. His presence felt a little shoe-horned and almost like the workshop REALLY wanted to spoof on Wolfman Jack and just threw him in there at the last minute (and it didn't help how INCREDIBLY unsettling Brian Muehl's voice for the character was, at least for me anyway).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The more I look at the latter though, I sometimes feel like the character of Bushman Bill at the beginning and end..... felt a little unnecessary. I think the song could have easily just started off going into the video with the girls performing the song on stage. His presence felt a little shoe-horned and almost like the workshop REALLY wanted to spoof on Wolfman Jack and just threw him in there at the last minute (and it didn't help how INCREDIBLY unsettling Brian Muehl's voice for the character was, at least for me anyway).
The voice must have been rough. I wonder if Brian Meehl was relieved to learn he would not make further appearances.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Both songs are great, but I prefer "Disco D" more since I love funky music. However, the song got stuck in my head in 2019 in late February and beginning of March that year and the earworm lasted nearly a week. I took a long hiatus from the song afterwards, but in recent months I started listening to it again but not as often.

It kind of surprises me that many Muppet disco songs, such as "ABC Disco", "In and Out Disco" and "Cookie Disco" continued being shown through much of the 1980s, yet "Disco D" was retired after Season 12.

Last edited:

wiley207

Reaction score
My vote goes for "D Duah Duah", or as I call it, "Be My D", as that's what I grew up with as a kid. And yeah, I initially thought Bushman Bill was a little freaky, but it's still a great song, and another instance of the show hiring a professional female vocal group to perform a song for a Muppet segment with the puppeteers lip-syncing the Anything Muppets to it. A shame the song never got released on any albums.
Speaking of albums, it's interesting how they used the soundtrack LP for "Shaft" as the record Bushman Bill spins on his turntable; the same LP was also used for Big Bird's disco record in episode 1261, this time playing the disco version of "Rubber Duckie". Of course I doubt the connection was intentional; the prop department obviously just grabbed whatever LP records they could find to use on the show.
Also, the way Bushman Bill closes the skit with "Now back to your regularly-scheduled kiddie show!" reminds me a bit of how Kermit the Frog closes out his special reports in a similar way, returning the viewers to their "regularly-scheduled program".

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Honestly I would have LOVED a nice, full, clean recording of the song without Brian Muehl’s awful Bushman Bill voice interfering at the beginning and end. I even tried an attempt of using the second pre-chorus opening beat of the music to try and give it a nice, clean opening without Bill’s voice getting in the way, but alas it didn’t end up working out with that drum cymbal conflicting with the flow….. so it is what it is.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Have you tried X-minus pro (though it goes by a new name now)?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I don’t trust vocal splitting programs, those things have NEVER worked out for me.

ssetta

Reaction score
I definitely prefer "D Duah Duah" partly because I know it better. "Disco D" was only used for a few seasons from seasons 9 through 12, while "D Duah Duah" was used up until season 28. It actually came out in season 12 so maybe it was kind of an alternative to "Disco D." And maybe by just a little bit, the girls kind of remind me of Fifth Harmony.