Did the Emmy's forget Jerry Nelson?

JennyPenny

Reaction score
I was watching the Emmy memorium for this year and I didn't see Jerry Nelson! Correct me if I missed him while turning my head or something, but seriously if they didn't include him I'll be mad as heck :mad:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
According to a friend of mine no he wasn't included. I didn't catch the Emmy's as I was watching a football game but that is quite disappointing but yet I'm not really surprised either.

Borples

Reaction score
He wasn't in it; I was mad. Somebody said there was a Count von Count reference somewhere else in the show, but I didn't catch that part.

JennyPenny

Reaction score
He wasn't in it; I was mad. Somebody said there was a Count von Count reference somewhere else in the show, but I didn't catch that part.
I'll have to look back for that, but I can't believe they'd snub someone who helped shape so many childhoods :frown:

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
The count reference was made during the Big Bang Theory bit. Jim Parsons character Sheldon mimicked the Count while introducing the accountants for the Emmys.

I really thought if Steve Jobs could be mentioned in memorium so could Jerry Nelson. What a shame. :frown:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's more likely we'll see Jerry honored at next year's Daytime Emmy Awards ceremony. Since many Muppeteers will already be there, it would be wonderful to see the Sesame Street characters perform a medley of his songs like they did for Fred Rogers at the Emmys in 2003.

I'd also love to see a Sesame Street Jerry Nelson tribute album released featuring Jerry's best songs and also Sesame Street characters singing new versions of some of Jerry's tunes in honor of him and his characters. As much as Jerry loved puppetry, he adored singing and a tribute album would be one of the greatest ways to honor his legacy.

Jim Henson and Joe Raposo received Sesame Street tribute albums. Jerry Nelson deserves one too for over 40 years of work on Sesame Street.

ProboSowa

Reaction score
I don't watch the Emmys, but I always make sure to check out the In Memoriam segments online since those are the only parts which really interest me. Was disappointed to see Jerry didn't get included, though I'm aware of award shows having tendencies to skip over names that shouldn't be skipped.

Like mentioned above, though, he'll at least be a shoe in for the next Daytime Emmys. Last night I also watched the most recent Daytime Emmys In Memoriam from a few months back, and the very last death they included was Judy Freudberg which admittedly gave me goosebumps. (that seemed to be because she was the last to die chronologically, but even so it was a nice coincidence)

Collgoff

Reaction score
Maybe the Emmy people heard the news about Jerry Nelson's death and they had to cancel that spot.

AruggeRadio

Reaction score
I am very disappointed at the Television Academy for not including Jerry Nelson in the "In Memoriam" segment of last nights Emmys, while including people who really were not known for TV like Whitney Huston, Donna Summers and Steve Jobs. Nelson preformed for over 40 years one of the most iconic characters in Television history, Count von Count, on probably the most important TV show in the history of Television "Sesame Street." Not to mention the characters he preformed on "The Muppet Show" and "Fraggle Rock." I'm not just saying this as a fan of his, but if you include David Letterman's makeup woman, you have to include Nelson.

Jerry wasn't alone. They also didn't mention Steve Sabol, president of NFL Films. Sabol was responsible for creating one of the most unique storytelling concepts in all of sports NFL Films and is one of the reasons the NFL is what it has become over the past 50 years.

You include someone who had nothing to do with TV like Steve Jobs but exclude Nelson and Sabol its just sad. The segment is to honer all of those who passed in Television not just Prime-Time or Daytime.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'd also love to see a Sesame Street Jerry Nelson tribute album released featuring Jerry's best songs and also Sesame Street characters singing new versions of some of Jerry's tunes in honor of him and his characters. As much as Jerry loved puppetry, he adored singing and a tribute album would be one of the greatest ways to honor his legacy.
I can't see them recording a new album, but since they're releasing compilations of previously-released bits, a Jerry tribute album consisting of already released songs could definitely work.