Did SesameStreet.org remove all classic clips from their site?

DotBridgekeeper

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but I just went to SesameStreet.org and typed in such familiar search titles as "mad painter", "song of #", "Casey MacPhee", and "sugar beets". Each search resulted in the "Oops!.." error message. Is this part of the Workshop's reorganization efforts, or has the site been restructured so that the classic material is hidden so as to highlight just the new and recently current content?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Their videos have always been hard to watch for whatever different reason, which is why I typically just wait for them to upload them on their YouTube channel.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but I just went to SesameStreet.org and typed in such familiar search titles as "mad painter", "song of #", "Casey MacPhee", and "sugar beets". Each search resulted in the "Oops!.." error message. Is this part of the Workshop's reorganization efforts, or has the site been restructured so that the classic material is hidden so as to highlight just the new and recently current content?
They did remove a large amount of their videos. They updated the quality on the ones still there. So, they presumably might add videos back when they improve the quality on them. But, my thinking is that with the show being geared more toward a specific group of characters now, the site reflects that, what with their new updated "Muppets" section. The videos they're keeping seem to fall in line with that.

DotBridgekeeper

Reaction score
Well so far, after another handful of searches, I've managed to find just one classic clip: the original "Pinball #12", which is juxtaposed with a newer version. I also found newer versions of "#9 Cutie" and "Ladybugs' Picnic", without their originals. All the "baker#" films, all the "typewriter" cartoons, Kermit the Frog, Judy Collins, Stevie Wonder, Lily Tomlin … Gone. Seems like the show is really being uprooted this time. I can only hope this means the "Classic Sesame Street" vault will be sold to another party that understands the importance of its continued distribution. There's still way too much that has yet to resurface.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well so far, after another handful of searches, I've managed to find just one classic clip: the original "Pinball #12", which is juxtaposed with a newer version. I also found newer versions of "#9 Cutie" and "Ladybugs' Picnic", without their originals. All the "baker#" films, all the "typewriter" cartoons, Kermit the Frog, Judy Collins, Stevie Wonder, Lily Tomlin … Gone. Seems like the show is really being uprooted this time. I can only hope this means the "Classic Sesame Street" vault will be sold to another party that understands the importance of its continued distribution. There's still way too much that has yet to resurface.
Searching for things isn't really useful on the site now; it does it by the title, not by description. So, there's still some Kermit bits on there, just not searchable by "Kermit."

Most of the stuff from the site is on YouTube anyway, so it's not like they're completely wiped from the Internet.

DotBridgekeeper

Reaction score
Well, for now, anyway, that is the case thankfully. But I can't help noticing some of the dubious precedents being set, presumably, by this whole HBO deal. I don't have kids, so I don't have any investment in what they do with the show in its current format. But regardless of what they do on YouTube, when the Workshop disavows the show's classic content, even if, as BuddyBoy600alt suggested, they no longer own the rights to post said content on their very website, it just makes me wonder what is going to happen with the distribution of Classic Sesame Street. But yes, even if this changing of hands does result in the removal from Sesame's YT channel of classic clips, and barring a sudden crackdown on fan channels, this material will not disappear from the internet anytime soon.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I doubt it's a rights issue and I think their YouTube channel is safe.

(And I wouldn't believe much of what BuddyBoy says; they're not 100% with it a lot of the time here).

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Kermit the Frog
I just scouted the website (for the first time in quite a while), and there are at least 3 Kermit clips still on there: Bein' Green (Season 1 version), Cookie and Herry share a bike, and Mystery Box with Cookie.

It's also important to note that all of the videos no longer have the SS logo plastered on them (be it with or without the ".org" part).