Did Jim Henson smoke cigarettes or take drugs?

Schfifty

Reaction score
I doubt he engaged in that kind of stuff. Even if it was briefly, I wouldn't like to believe Jim had a puff or took a drug. But he passed long ago, so yeah, it's not a big deal.

Prof Bunsen

Reaction score
That was mentioned in the Brian Jay Jones biography, which is a good read.
Amen to that. That was a great book. Learned a lot about the man, his faults, his ambitions, his lifelong friends. I should re-read that sometime.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've read the whole thing twice, and skimmed through certain passages dozens of times. Brian Jay Jones is most excellent in not overlooking any small, insignificant details - even right down to how Jim was dressing and how he was cutting his hair and beard in certain phases and eras of his life and career.

Fozzieboba

Reaction score
Well, smoking, for one definitely causes lung cancer. So I assume that Henson and Jerry Nelson were smokers off-set.

Prof Bunsen

Reaction score
Well, smoking, for one definitely causes lung cancer. So I assume that Henson and Jerry Nelson were smokers off-set.
Jim Henson didn't die from lung cancer, though. He died from a streptococcal infection exacerbated by pneumonia. Also keep in mind you shouldn't throw the baby in with the bathwater in that everyone who smokes will get lung cancer or emphysema. That only happens long-term, and even then many smokers have died from other diseases.

Prof Bunsen

Reaction score
It was just my assumption, ok? I was just curious....
No, I was just merely stating that not everybody contracts lung cancer from smoking and that Jim didn't die from lung cancer. Maybe he did and he quit by the 1970s, I really don't know. But at any rate, I know my reply probably came off as harsh, and I apologize about that. I didn't mean to cause any notions that what I said was defensive.

Fozzieboba

Reaction score
Plus why are people talking about how the muppet performers got sick even if it should remain private?