Did Bruno actually carry Oscar's Trashcan?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been wondering, was the trash can that Bruno carried actually Oscar's? It was probably a different prop can, but I wonder whether it was Oscar's can in show continuity.

After all, when Oscar is normally in his trash can, the lid pops open and stays that way. When Bruno carried the trash can, the lid basically hangs from the top edge of the trash can.

I don't have access to very much Bruno footage, but in all footage and photos that I have access to, Oscar's regular trash can area isn't shown, so we don't really know if Oscar's trash can is in it's usualy spot whenever Bruno is carrying oscar's can from around that area. That area isn't shown on-screen when Bruno passes by at the very end of Follow That Bird (we basically see the opposite view of what's normally seen, and then a wide shot past the street sign, giving viewers their last look at the across-the-street part of the street).

I would assume that the shiney trash can held by Bruno in "The Trash Can" is a different one. I can't imagine Oscar allowing his trash can to have sparkles ecorated onto it. I also recall seeing an episode that ended with Bruno carrying a trash can with Irvine in it, while Oscar was in his usual trash can in it's usual spot.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hmm...So, you're saying does Bruno carry Oscar's equivalent of a camper-van?

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Yes, I remember Carroll Spinney saying that Bruno's version of Oscar's can is different - one that's made of lighter material than the metal one, and one that can be sewn onto Bruno's puppet hands.

Same thing with Oscar's waking trash-can - It's a different prop than the one that's resting on the barrel.

They had different cans serving different purposes.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Actually, I don't believe any of Oscar's cans were made of actual metal, if I recall correctly, it's my understanding they've generally been plastic painted to look like run-down metal trashcans.

Today's new episode was a nice example that with an extreme close-up of Oscar's can with raccoon prints on it, one can see that there's no actual texture to where it looks like the metal has been weathered/flaking off, but rather, the flaking looks painted on.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yes, I remember Carroll Spinney saying that Bruno's version of Oscar's can is different - one that's made of lighter material than the metal one, and one that can be sewn onto Bruno's puppet hands.
Caroll Spinney said in his autobiography that it was made of plastic, but I didn't realise that it was sewn onto his hands (though I never really gave much thought regarding how it was attached).

I was talking about show continuity, not the actual props. Though we may not know the actual answer in a long time.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
There's a season 22 episode where Oscar's mom visits. Bruno is seen carrying Oscar's can at the beginning in front of his trash can area, with his trash can missing. So, it would seem that Bruno does carry Oscar's actual can.