Dick Van Dyke reunion

somethingofafan

Reaction score
Did anyone see "The Dick Van Dyke Show Revisited" Tuesday night?

I personally thought it was pretty good. Not as classic as the walnut episode, of course, but OK (and a lot better than a bunch of newsmagazines and reality shows).

matleo

Reaction score
I watched the first half of it. it was ok. but by chance of coincidence my sister sent me the Season 2 DVD set for my b-day last week which had arrived in tuesday's mail. So I had already spent most of the afternoon watching bunch of the old shows (including the Wlanut episode) anyway, once the show became a bunch of poorly strung together flashbacks, I figured if I was gong ot watch DicK Van Dyke episodes, I might as well just go in the other room and watch Dick Van Dyke episodes and I so I did.

I have become very impressed by Ann Guilbert though. I had never realised until recently she played both the Sophia Loren's mother in "Grumpier Old Men" and Fran Drescher's grandmother (Yetta) on The Nanny. Both charactesr are very vastly different from Millie and very different from each other, and that's great, but there's also abotu 30 years between Millie and the other two roles so of course I wouldn't recognize her! But the other night she played that character as if 40 years had not gone by. She hit every beat, every mark and every nuance of her old character. it was still Millie at every turn. I thought she did a great job.

At the same time, I thoght Mary Tyler Moore's character seemed a little out of character in some places. There were some things she said early on that just didn't seem like Laura to me. And my god, could Reiner have written a few more phone calls in the first 15 minutes of the show!! I don't know if he was trying to make a statment/joke about how frequently we use cell phones now but if he was, it didn't work. They just needed to take about 4-5 phone calls out of the top of the show. Finally, I thouth the laugh track was repetitive and annoying. I don't mind a laugh track on shows too much but if you're going to use one a) use a good one, b) don't overuse it and most importantly c) NEVER overuse a bad laugh track!!

So yeah I saw some of it but like I said, it was better just popping in the DVDs and watching those.

now the Carol Burnett special Wed. night, THAT I saw all of and really enjoeyed!! That was good tv.

--Matt

McFraggle

Reaction score
I saw part of the Dick Van Dyke show, but it seemed like Morrey (RIP) was well missed. He was one of the key parts of the original show.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
TV Show Reunions. If I want flashbacks, I can watch TV Land. I want to see them get a new script and ACT! Do a SHOW!! I get so disappointed when Carol Burnett has a show on and everyone is there and they don't do a SHOW.

Heck, there needs to be a movie: Mama's Family Reunion. Except, Carol didn't seem to be able to do Unis' voice so well anymore. Must be all that plastic surgery.

matleo

Reaction score
yeah I liked that part when Vicki just went off about carol's driving as Mama though. That was funny. Overall I was very impressed by how quick all of them were on the draw. I mean, Tim Conway used to be mean to Harvey Korman but the other night he was just ruthless. Very funny.

--matt

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
matleo said:
yeah I liked that part when Vicki just went off about carol's driving as Mama though. That was funny. Overall I was very impressed by how quick all of them were on the draw. I mean, Tim Conway used to be mean to Harvey Korman but the other night he was just ruthless. Very funny.

--matt
Yeah to all of that! I loved that part of it, when they were acting and teasing. Very much like the good ole days. I wish The Carol Burnett Show would be in constant repeats!

Anybody see the marathon on tv the other night?

matleo

Reaction score
Was that last Saturday on TV land? I saw a little bit of it at my sister's. Watched maybe about 3 or 4 episodes or so. very funny stuff. You know somebody here has actually started a thread on MC for the Carol Burnett special. I think we should go over there and talk about Dick Van Dyke!! :big_grin:

--Matt

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I caught a little bit of the beginning of the DVD reunion.I was very pleased to see that they(in their own way),paid tribute to Morey Amsterdam(RIP Buddy).And happy to see Dick can still dance,gave me a smile.And to see the old clips again was great.I'm mainly happy to see everyone has aged well.Yeah,lets go to my thread of the CB reunion & discuss the DVD reunion,lol. :big_grin:

::jogging out of the post::