Denny's Muppet Giveaways?

Luke

Reaction score
Same thing with Cinemas/Theatres - they have all these neat point of display stand-ups and displays but they are told to return them to the film promotion company. Why ? Cos the film promotion company store them for five or six years and then sell them at film and TV collectable auctions and make about 30 times the money back.

You can always bribe people - find the managers at these places and offer them cash to say someone spilled something over it. Asking for it free can sometimes get a lukewarm response - someone having their drinks paid for that night is usually more acceptable.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Luke,

It sounds like you have experience in this areana. Do tell...

*picturing Luke bribing some local theater shlock for a huge Britney; planning his evil ways after he stops off at the aquarium for inspiration*

Luke

Reaction score
Re: Luke,

Originally posted by FellowWLover
It sounds like you have experience in this areana. Do tell...

*picturing Luke bribing some local theater shlock for a huge Britney; planning his evil ways after he stops off at the aquarium for inspiration*
It involves a theatre manager getting an official warning from his employers for bundling an 8 foot 'Muppets From Space' 3d stand-up Muppet boarding house type thing into the back of a waiting white convertible (driven by a certain ice maiden) at about 1am in the morning in exchange for me promising she would never darken his doorstep again with the exception of any Barbie promotions he might have on.

Believe me - having a 5 foot scantily clad Britney in my room is more than on my mind right now but i didn't have the guts to go into the shoe store and offer them copious amounts of money for the 'Sketchers' stand-up, although sadly she's wearing sneakers and not a penguin ! :big_grin:

beaker

Reaction score
>>>The posters and standees are supposed to be destroyed at the end of the promotion. The stores are told they cannot give them away (though frequently exceptions are made for employees) and they must destroy them. I know it sounds horrible and is really depressing for us fans, but the stores are just following the rules when they toss 'em<<<

Naw, sounds more like the people at stores like to ruin the dreams of fans. IF a worker cant think for themselves and can see that someone genuinely wants something like that, well then I just dont know anymore. Its bad enough noone at Dennys seems to know who the Muppets are, its another not to take a reserve on the posters and standees once the promotion is up. When MFS was released, everywhere I saw the video release poster they said I couldnt have it. Now I wish I had just taken it and ran, as I dont even see that one on ebay.

Yes folks, sometimes in the interest of balance in the world,
some things I think have to be taken by any means neccesary.
The alternative is for posters and promo stuff to end up in the garbage. All my life I have seen various Muppet promotional stuff
that people werent cool enough to let me have, so to all the fans out there...well you know what you have to do.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
When MFS was released, everywhere I saw the video release poster they said I couldnt have it. Now I wish I had just taken it and ran, as I dont even see that one on ebay.

Yes folks, sometimes in the interest of balance in the world,
some things I think have to be taken by any means neccesary.
The alternative is for posters and promo stuff to end up in the garbage. All my life I have seen various Muppet promotional stuff
that people werent cool enough to let me have, so to all the fans out there...well you know what you have to do.
Cory,

In the interests of the balance of the world that is a very insignificant poster that didn't belong to you and you would have had no right to have anyway. It would be stealing for anyone to just snatch it and it basically just gives Muppet fans a bad name. If one person steals, then the next time someone comes in to ask then no wonder why they might have said no, and of course they could be arrested and sue your butt off for suggesting they do it ! :big_grin:

Luke
(the person who smuggled out a MFS stand up in the pitch dark also implicating the manager in the crime)

beaker

Reaction score
>>>In the interests of the balance of the world that is a very insignificant poster that didn't belong to you and you would have had no right to have anyway<<<

Oh gee, Im sorry...I guess a dumpster versus someone who has been a Muppet fan for two decades+ doesnt count for anyone.

>>>It would be stealing for anyone to just snatch it and it basically just gives Muppet fans a bad name.<<<

No, when it comes to promotional items how is liberating a non retail item when its about to be thrown away stealing???. stealing is stealing something that has a retail value. Muppet fans a bad name? Being a lot of us havent asserted ourselves the way we like, we get trampled on in the collecting department. Luke, has it occured ot you that there really hasnt been much Muppet stuff in the last decade, and when there is, its promotional...when a restuarant has a promotional thing these days TMS related, there is NO merchandise.

Not all of us can afford exorberent prices on ebay:wink:

If one person steals, then the next time someone comes in to ask then no wonder why they might have said no, and of course they could be arrested and sue your butt off for suggesting they do it ! <<<

yeah, theyre gonna hall your butt away for quietly taking a promo poster for MFS months after its release.

Luke
(the person who smuggled out a MFS stand up in the pitch dark also implicating the manager in the crime)<<<

I usually agree with you 100%, but on this were at opposite ends, as a Muppet fan all these yars I am DARN sick of the way were treated.

Luke

Reaction score
Cory

Promotional items do have a value - they just aren't sold at retail. Someone has to pay to make them y'know and they don't always end up in the dumpster - thats probably just your assumption.

You could definitely be prosecuted for stealing a poster, even something as small as a pencil. I know what you mean, but i can just see why someone would say no to you if you had the attitude like it was rightfully yours.

Maybe if you asked nicely for the name and address of the promotions company they might have sent you a poster after hearing about you.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>I know what you mean, but i can just see why someone would say no to you if you had the attitude like it was rightfully yours.<<<

Ive never come across like that, in life I try to be as courteous and nice as possible.

Maybe if you asked nicely for the name and address of the promotions company they might have sent you a poster after hearing about you<<<

Thats the thing tho...every single time I have asked, it has been in the most polit emanner, to ask if there was any way they could put my number on the back for when the promotion is up. And the answer is always no.

From the 80's when I saw a Kermit and Piggy reading promo poster in the local library to just recently at Dennys...I have always gotten the shaft.

You see, when something is going to be thrown away like a poster at a rental store, how the heck is it stealing to take it MONTHS after its been up and is about to be thrown away? I havent done it yet, but am sad I didnt...as I sure havent seen any rental MFS poster son ebay ever. I applaud anyone who has had the courage to do this, as unfortunately in our soicety there is just black and white ways of looking at things.

When the workers dont care about you, or the very thing theyr promotiing, and have the dumpster as the ultimate fate of a poster or whatever, it is the responsible thing to ensure ya can get that item into the caring hands of someone, well who cares.

beaker

Reaction score
Anyways Luke, just to clairfy, I wasnt saying people should go out and just take posters from walls and such. What I was saying is that its a shame a lot of these promotional items just get destroyed or thrown away when these people have no idea how weve onged for such stuff, and if its gonna be thrown away anyways...you know? Even you yourself alluded to some sort of in hindsight fortunate bout of good luck with achieving such a aquirement.

Luke

Reaction score
Hey Cory,

Yeah i know EXACTLY what you mean, and fully agree with you now you've kinda put it that way. I'd love for you to have had that stuff and its a crying shame things didn't work out. If stuff like this ever happens again, be sure to tell us about it here, and maybe someone here can help you out aquiring stuff.