Debuts of muppets

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Heres some more debuts:

Forgetful Jones, Clementine, and Buster- I think they all first appeared in 1982 (I could be wrong), and Forgetful Jones was originally performed by Michael Earl Davis (Richard Hunt took over) while Clementine was originally performed by Brian Meehle.

Grungetta- I think she first appeared in 1980 or 1981, and according to the internet movie database, she was originally performed by Brian Meehle.

Aristotle- This blind monster only appeared for one season, from 1982-1983.

J.P. and Tito- the Miami Mice first appeared in 1986.

Leo Monster- I think he first appeared in 1987, and was only on the show for one year.

Ruby Monster- I think she first appeared in 1988.

Benny Rabbit- I think he first appeared in 1990. His first appearance was in an episode (or is it a sketch?) where a grouch magician pulled Benny out of his hat. he made a few more appearances over the next few years before he became a bellhop at the furry arms hotel in 1993.

Baby Bear and Goldilocks- they first appeared in an episode from 1991 where baby Bear came to Sesame Street to hide from Goldilocks, who was driving him crazy, only for Goldilocks to be hanging around Sesame Street, popping up everywhere Baby Bear went (she came to Hoopers store when Baby Bear came to get some lunch, and she was in oscars trash can in one scene). I think they were meant to only appear once, but they soon became regular characters.

Rosita- She first appeared in 1991.

Roxy Marie- She first appeared in either 1992 or 1993.

Zoe- She first appeared in the 25th season.

Kingston Livingston III- he first appeared in the 25th season.

Humphrey and Ingrid first appeared in the 25th season, although the puppet used for Ingrid had been used for other characters as far back as 1981.

Frazzle- I forgot to mention earlier that he first appeared in the beat The Time skit with Cookie Monster, which I think was first shown in 1971.

Sherry netherland- She first appeared in 1993.

Mel, Google, Narf, and Phoebe- The monster clubhouse monsters first appeared in 2001.

Just a few corrections. Clementine, Buster, and Forgetful Jones first appeared in 1980

Grungetta made her debut appearance in 1982

Roxie Marie first appeared in 1992 in the middle of the 23rd Seasons

Kingston Livingstron first appeared in the 24th Season, not the 25th

Telly first appeared in 1979

Leo Monster made his debut in 1986, but your'e right he was only there for about a year.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
PiLfan said:
wow, minor muppetz...thanks for that great info on some of those characters...especially telly and elmo. where'd you get your info?
A lot of that info comes from Sesame Street Unpaved, as well as the booklet that came with the Songs from The Street box set (although that booklet incorrectly lists 1984 as the year of the debuts of Elmo and Telly, but that is really when brian Meehle stopped performing them), The Wisdom of Big Bird (and Dark genius of Oscar The grouch), and on this message board. Some information was also found in the book Jim Henson: The Works and in the Sesame Street 35th anniversary trivia game, but nothing that wasn't in one of those other sources.

I have seen a post somewhere on this message board that mentioned Tellys debut episode. It has been said that Telly wasn't a very major character for his first year.

Caroll Spinney mentioned that Elmo was originally called baby Monster in his autobiography, and I have read an article about a screening of Follow That Bird at a henson Film Festival in 2004, where Caroll Spinney took questions from the audience, and mentioned that he performed Baby Monster (odd that he didn't mention performing him in his book). However, this information wasn't mentioned in any other official sources. Sesame Street Unpaved mentioend that Elmo was first around in 1979, and the trivia game even had a question about when Elmo made his debut, listed it as 1979, and even mentioend that he first appeared in 1979 "as a little monster". If it counted him being around as a generic monster then it should have mentioned him being another character. It seems like this fact and the fact that Guy Smiley was originally called Sonny Friendly are really obscure, possibly even forgotten/ unknown to the people at Sesame Workshop.

I have also read another thread that mentioned the first appearance of Bruno, which I forgot about when I was listing appearances. In brunos first appearance, the humans came to bruno, who was carrying a trash can, to complain to him about not picking up their trash yet, and Oscar popped out of the trash can and told the humans that he hired bruno to carry him around.