Dark Crystal sequel may be headed to DVD

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Should Be Easy Peasy To Find (here's some help)

all i know is that i would love to see a sequal.... i have the first one taped off tv and i cannot find it on dvd anywhere. if anyone has a clue as to where i can find it please let me know...and keep me posted if you hear anything about the sequal
:coy: Here's a list of the offerings from Amazon :scary:
Any Best Buy, Circuit City, Virgin Megastore or Blockbuster, should have one of these in stock and usually on sale. If not they will likely order one per your request.

Dark Crystal: The latest 25th Anniversary Edition DVD
(Newest edition with trendy hologram packaging, a tiny amount of new documentary extras, but no cool stuff packed with it. However this one can be found anywhere.)

Dark Crystal: The initial 1999 DVD release
(Bare bones version, but nice treatment and I believe it includes the original documentary, trailers and deleted scenes like the other versions.)

Dark Crystal: 2003 Collector's Edition Boxed Set DVD
(I consider this the best one with its documentaries and tangible extras like the replica production notebook and film frame.)

:search: It all depends on what version you want to own. Columbia Tristar tends to re-release the Dark Crystal every couple of years with new packaging, but little else. The film running time is the same in all three of these versions and there shouldn't be a difference. I have heard Sony is planning a high-definition BluRay release sometime in the future, but it's being held up due to massive amount of work required to restore the negatives. Still, that's far from now and on BluRay, not DVD. Hope this helped.

muppetmania1980

Reaction score
yes thank you very much for all of the information. i will deffinatley be looking for the movie now...again thanks

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
Something I've been wondering, is the two-disc version worth getting for the special features? The idea of an audio commentary sounds pretty cool. The version I own is the boxed set.

muppetmayhem

Reaction score
I have always dreamed of THC coming out with a sequel to this wonderful film. I am a little concerned about the fact that they are going to incorporate cgi into the film though. One thing that made the first DC so unique was that it took puppetry and the then popular film-making techniques to the extreme! Now with cgi, you can do almost ANYTHING which no longer leaves anyone too impressed. I remember that cgi was used in movies like, Elmo in Grouchland, Mirror Mask, Jack and the Beanstalk, Hansel and Gretel, and The Muppets Wizard of OZ and it sucked in everyone of them. Sadly, i do not think that this sequel is going to be any better by way of cgi. I think that the worst thing they could have done is wait 20 years after the first movie to make a sequel. EVERYTHING is going to be different. Voices, the construction of puppets, music, story, everything is going to obe different. Those people who are complete fans of the dark crystal are going to be the most disappointed because we can only compare the sequel to the original which isn't going to have any comparison.

muppet baby

Reaction score
Here's some news on the forthcoming Dark Crystal sequel, while it's still planned for release, it appears the movie may be direct-to-DVD, not a theatrical feature. We can only hope that not to much quality is suffered in the lower budget typically associated with DVD-only releases.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2008/010708.shtml

wow this is really interesting i had never thought that this would be a direct to dvd realease , i don't think they would skimp on quality , just because it is looking like a direct to DVD realease . i will love it i think no matter what . wow i hope that it is fast i can not wait .

MJTaylor

Reaction score
You know you've been away from Muppet Central too long when you have to read 8 pages to be brought up to date about something. My thoughts are, I guess I will see the Dark Crystal sequel when it comes out, even if it does go straght to DVD. I bought the first film not long ago and I enjoyed it just as much as I did when I was 12.

muppet baby

Reaction score
This is not what I expected. I am very unhappy with how this has been handled. The Dark Crystal is on my short list of favorite films - practically my favorite film. If this had been planned to be some sort of episodic series or miniseries I would understand, but now I feel this tarnishes one of the best pieces of Jim Henson's legacy. I know it's only business, but the Henson Company has always risen above that sort of cynicism. I will support this project and I am curious. I hope it's good, but I really wanted a theatrical release. I know the first one was a hard enough sell, but it's a different climate now. Let’s hope this doesn't happen to the Fraggles. There's a goldmine with them. Maybe they're finally seeing that and planning to tap into it instead of focusing on Crystal? :sympathy:
oh i totally agree with u here on this i had liked the dark Chrystal as a kid even though it had scared me a little hahah but i bought it earlier in the ear and love it even more so i am sad that they made this a direct to DVD realise :frown:but oh i think i am going to give it a try anyway and buy it because it is henson even though it should not have been done this way .

dabauckham

Reaction score
I just saw Brian Henson at the AFI theatre talking about the future of digital puppetry. While the focus was on the new technology Henson and his team have developed for Sid the Science Kid (which looks very high quality by the way, and has now been playing about 3 weeks on PBS), he did field other questions. He was not allowed to divulge much about Dark Crystal 2, but he did STRONGLY indicate that the movie will be high-quality, and will use the latest in animatronic technology. So for those of you worried that the quality would suffer, you can breathe a collective sigh of relief. They're taking their time with this one to ensure that it is good. Henson said it himself. I heard him. I'm not so worried anymore.

Meepsterboy

Reaction score
The issue with MirrorMask isn't the story, it's the production value/s. Period.

MirrorMask is marred by poorly rendered CGI and creature effects that don't, for the most part, blend well within their environment.
Really? I remember being blown away by the surreal world that they managed to make in MirrorMask, by the artistry and detail of the CG in tandem with some great costuming...
It was the first Henson fantasy I watched, and it floored me.