Dark Crystal Figures

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Ken...

any ideas what one could do to get the heads to be a little less loose in this case? or to repair the distortion?

FOZ

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
The distortion is a part of the molding process. You can't really fix that. As for tightening the joint...I don't know. You could try some of that sticky stuff they use on posters...I use it to keep my figs from falling over. You could jam some up in the seam I guess. I haven't opened mine. Don't know if I will or not, so I have not seen the joint on the head.

Ken

Patty

Reaction score
Odd -- my out-of-the-box Kira's head is much looser than my Jen, though neither is horribly floppy. Jen has a wider, taller neck than Kira, so I was blaming that. Guess not.

Neither doll fits properly in its stand for me.

M

Muppet Labs

Hi Patty,

Neither Jen nor Kira's head is terribly loose but Jen's head is by far looser than Kira's head and I thought it was because Kira's hair was thicker and and her outfit was tighter on the neck than Jen's outfit.....I am having a tough time getting either of them to fit in their display as Jen is too big and Kira too small to wrap the little bar around their waists.....I think I may finally have that bar securely around them as long as I don't touch them LOL....Good luck!!

Bye,
Todd

Patty

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about Jen's head. My Jen's head pivots better than Kira, but Kira's head won't stay up (which is OK, since she looks strange from a low angle anyhow).

By the way, I don't really think the molding had that much to do with why I think the gelflings look "off." Not for me. For Kira, she has no neck or shoulders -- it's like a head on an articulated Barbie doll. They used the hair and (lovely) clothing to compensate for mis-matched bodies on both dolls. They did a better job with Jen, who is beefed up by the well-designed clothing. The facial problems have as much to do with the painting as sculpt shape -- I'd say more so.

Either way, it's a rather ambitious release for Sideshow, and I'm pleased to own them. I even bought a back-up set so I can fuss with my dolls to my heart's content -- will probably even give Kira some much-needed wings. Sideshow had said earlier that the Mystic and Skeksis releases were hinged upon how well the Gelflings sold. Strange they announced this the day after the figures shipped.

BTW: With a little bit of hair gel, you can really use the Gelfling hair to cover up any design shortcomings. Not to mention the fact the dolls look deceivingly good from certain angles. Odd that the Sideshow promo pics didn't take full advantage of that. I'm still working on Jen to make him look less like Steve Perry (the packing made his bangs stand straight up in the air -- it's an uphill battle).

http://www.williamgirdler.com/kira/kira.html

Michael Crawford

Reaction score
Dark Crystal review...

I know that RTM and ROC did excellent reviews of these last week, but my set finally arrived from Aisle Sniper, and I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

The costumes are simply amazing in their detail and quality. These are easily the most complicated costumes that Sideshow has done so far, and they did an excellent job. The articulation has suffered though, because of the new hands and feet, and the head sculpts are slightly...off. I rewatched the film to refresh my memory, but I doubt if I hadn't that I would have picked up on any sculpting issues. These both look terrific, and if you're a fan of the film you should consider picking them up. Check out the complete review with pictures at:

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_INDEX.htm

Michael
MWC