1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    We will be upgrading our forum software on Saturday May 25. This is a major upgrade that will add many new features and enhance security.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31, 2019.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Daring to Dream

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by newsmanfan, Apr 23, 2017.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I've looked into alternatives, but they all have their own flaws as well. Dailymotion has become just as bad - if not worse - at deleting content as YouTube, and I think DM is really taking advantage of the fact that a lot of people have been migrating to them from YT; DM is also even worse about commercials on videos than YT. I've also looked into Veoh and Vimeo, and as I recall, both had limitations that YT did away with years ago, such as time limits, and file size limits.

MrsPepper kept suggesting blip.tv to me for years, but they're long gone now, so I guess that doesn't matter anymore.

2. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

Funding for an arts project is extremely hard thing to get a hold of in Aus, but I like the idea of starting a fund so I could do some more research.

newsmanfan likes this.
  3. AlittleMayhem

AlittleMayhem Well-Known Member

Man, where do I begin? I dream a lot of things but my dreams change all the time, especially when things don't go the way I hoped and that is the way of life. But here's a few dreams I still have.

Learn Japanese. This is pretty much a childhood dream. I've always loved East Asian culture and I'm just drawn to Japan for some reason. I'm not as super obsessed as I used to be (or even most of the internet) but I listen to enough Babymetal and watch enough Super Sentai and English/Japanese Youtubers to recognise a few words and phrases. Admittedly, it's still a lot to learn and I have no idea where to start with reading and writing but yeah, one day.

Visit Japan. Pretty much all of the above. I love the culture, I want to try more of the food, experience the lesser known places, what can I say? I love that country, I wanna go.

Visit America. Well, I know it's not perfect, especially since that twit you call a president is in charge but still. I've seen so much of it in the media and I want to see for myself is true and what the people are like. Also, I have so many online friends live there and it would be a dream to finally meet them.

Research my family history further and find long lost relatives. I know most of my mother's family history thanks to a art project I did a couple of years back. I unfortunately don't know much of my dad's side, mainly because it's so much bigger but I want to learn more about them, especially since my Granddad died before I was born. Also, on my mum's side, my great granddad was one of nine children and his siblings had kids and so forth. My grandma said they all moved to Canada or Australia but she lost contact with them years ago so I'd love to find out what happened to them.

Get a scholarship. I have been painting for a long time but I've always done things the way I see fit. Recently, my tutors have been giving my pointers for my current project and one of them even does a painting class. So they've really inspired me to want to study and train as a professional painter, learn all the techniques and become better. It's a passion and it would be amazing to charge people for commissions or have paintings shown in galleries and exhibitions.

Get a job. Yeah, I know it's not much of a dream compared to what I've listed but I've never really had a properly paid job. Just voluntary and work experience jobs. My sister have been lucky to have had paid jobs because our dad works in farming. However, since I wouldn't be caught dead rouging for blackleg in a potato field, I haven't been so lucky. Right now, I'm getting help with getting a summer job, since I have roughly three months holiday coming up.

newsmanfan and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  4. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

You're a painter?! I didn't know that! Do you happen do have a website where you have your paintings displayed or something? Because I would love to see them. By the way, painting is my favorite media of art!

5. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

I'm sorry he seems to have lost interest in the project, or was too shy to want his bio out in the world. However, what about completing the book yourself? You can always keep his name in the co-author spot if you feel his contributions deserve it.

6. newsmanfan

Ha! Yes, I stay away from online while I'm actually writing, unless I need to fact-check or research something...and then I have to be very strict about NOT wandering off to another topic or chatting/tweeting/watching videos. Those are for breaks.

The graphic novel sounds fun! If you're worried about focus, maybe spend some time working up a full story arc or plot synopsis, so you know where your tale needs to go next?

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  7. newsmanfan

What about uploading them to a cloud server, as is? I have a friend who posts his podcasts directly to gdrive and anyone can download and listen without having to go through iTunes, etc. Would that work for video files? You could post them as .mkv or .avi, either of which can be played by any system.

8. newsmanfan

Those are all potentially achievable. YOU CAN DO THE THING!

Learning Japanese...lots of decent self-teaching courses out there to get you started, from Rosetta Stone (pricey) to kids' picture dictionaries and phrasebooks. Wouldn't hurt to study online, either, until you can afford an actual class or language tutoring. My sweetie speaks (and reads) a little Chinese, and swears Japanese is easier as a spoken language, anyway...

The ALittleMayhem World Tour: possible. That one will take a bit of cash, but still possible. If you can combine the trip with a work visa, all the better (and that's "get a job" sorted as well)!

Genealogy: fascinating stuff. Besides your basic marriage and death records, you might want to consider a contribution to the Human Genome Project, to see whom else you might be closely related to; my mother did a DNA test, and ended up finding (and meeting) some of her father's relations in the US and Germany. Besides, family history is great research for weird names...although maybe that's just fun to me...

Painting: excellent! Do you have a particular style you prefer? Do you combine several traditional styles (aka postmodernism, or post-postmodernism)?

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  9. D'Snowth

Never been a fan of cloud servers. And it seems like a lot of them only give you X-amount of space before they tell you to upgrade to a payment plan for more.

As for .avi, they give you terribly, terribly distorted video quality and tinny/metalic-sounding audio (see pretty much any Season 5 or 6 episode of Steve D'Monster).

10. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

This was over 15 years ago & I had put the story on a floppy disc . (now those things are obsolete .:rolleyes: ) I guess it wasn't meant to happen. Oh well...when life gives you lemons,make lemonade!:)

11. D'Snowth

Ah, floppies, I knew them well. . . .

In a way, I can almost say the same thing for CD-ROMs: they were usually my primary source for backing things up to preserve my master files, but now I use USB flash drives and portable external hard-drives.

12. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Thanks, since I wrote that post, i've actually gotten pretty far in terms of plotting the story out, eliminating certain plot lines and characters, and making sure I have a clear message and arc. I wasn't originally going to do a sequel but I have so many ideas I want to use, if all goes well with this first story than I may do another one.

newsmanfan likes this.
  13. scooterfan360

scooterfan360 Well-Known Member

well, i first have to accomplish my first goal, which to leave this small sad little town of mine, and leave my non supportive negative mom, my lazy fat dad, and my dumb sisters, who everybody that i know thinks that they are so great. everyone in this little lame town of mine, thinks that babies, bills, and a no where dead end job, is a way of life, they dump on the ones, who don't have an no where dead end job, well not to their faces, but behind their backs, and heaven forbid that you are practical with money, they will call you stingy. i not just want to leave my so called hometown, i want to leave out of my home state also. my dreams are, that i want to become a boutique owner, and be a host of a show,like a Martha Stuart type show, and maybe be in a few movies, and do a few commercials,and perhaps be in a Muppet movie ;).

14. AlittleMayhem

AlittleMayhem Well-Known Member

I have a Facebook page. The only reason I made it was for a class in my college corse which is teaching us the more business side of art but I am planning on continuing with it after I'm done with my degree.

15. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Somehow I can't click on the link.

16. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

Way back when the story was only a handful of random pages, no plot yet, just a flash of an idea, Christopher Cerf got a look at them and asked "Do you have a publisher yet?"
    "No, it'll be a while before it's done".
    "Look me up sometime".
    And handed me his business card.

This is like having a Wonka Golden Ticket in my hands.

For those of you who don't recognize the name, Christopher Cerf was largely responsible for the merchandising of Sesame Street, created this pilot for a Sesame knockoff called "Between the Lions", and his father started a little fly-by-night backroom publishing racket called Random House.

A couple years ago when the book was finally taking shape, I trekked to Manhattan, just on a whim, to see if he was home to show him my work in progress. Walked 20 blocks to his house on East 62nd Street (Big purple front door. Can't miss it). Alas, he wasn't home. But at least I know the way.

The story has changed radically since its humble beginnings. I'll still follow up with the elusive Mr. Cerf, and if Random House isn't the best publisher for my book, he must know a friend or two.

newsmanfan likes this.
  17. newsmanfan

F
    I'm not knocking your dream, but I'd advise finding a business partner for help setting up a boutique shop. Pick a city that already has an affluent community that could support your shop. (Offhand, I know Portland, OR, Asheville, NC, and Appleton, WI are good for niche market specialty stores.)

scooterfan360 likes this.
  18. newsmanfan

Same. Might be a mobile issue. I'll check again at home.

19. scooterfan360

scooterfan360 Well-Known Member

I'm aware of needing a business partner:), i learned that in my fashion business class. along with the other steps of running a boutique, and i know that you have to be very careful when selecting a business partner, because the person that you select may be crooked. BTW you are not knocking my dream, by telling me that, even if I'm aware of needing a business partner, i thank you for pointing that out:).

newsmanfan likes this.
  20. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

Where to start:
    Well, my biggest one is to work in an animal shelter or animal rescue organization in a clinical setting taking care of animals until they get adopted, but working in a boarding facility right now might be a stepping stone to that ultimate dream.

Travel to Ireland, I'm Irish on my mom's side. I've been watching videos on YouTube from a PBS series called "Rick Steves' Europe" and learning so much about different European countries including Ireland. It's such a beautiful country. And if I happen to try one of those Ancestry DNA tests, it'll be so cool if I find out I have relatives that live there.

Visit an animal sanctuary called Best Friends Animal Society in Utah. I admire everything that they do for animals especially after Hurricane Katrina and Michael Vick. Just visiting that place will be icing on the cake for me.