"Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood" debuts on PBS September 3, 2012

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We've been discussing the show for the past year, but today the first Mister Rogers spin-off series "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood" debuts on PBS. Check your local listings and let us know what you think of the show in honor of Fred Rogers, beloved by children and adults around the world. Watch videos and see kid's activities at the official "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood" PBS website.

In honor of Fred's memory and impact on Muppet fans, we continue to play music from Mister Rogers on Muppet Central Radio. Classic episodes of the original "Mister Roger's Neighborhood" from 1967-2001 are also available to download.

Hubert

Reaction score
It just came on at 11:30 here...and right now I'm watching Daniel go to the doctor. I'm a tiny bit disappointed that they didn't have a Doctor Bill be the doctor, but naming the doctor Anna was still a nice little reference.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's on like 3 or 4 times a day over here... didn't bother to catch it yet. Seems cute enough though. I just hope it doesn't have that loud repeat Dora style.

Does it?

Hubert

Reaction score
It's on like 3 or 4 times a day over here... didn't bother to catch it yet. Seems cute enough though. I just hope it doesn't have that loud repeat Dora style.

Does it?
Not in the slightest bit. This is a perfect example of a kid's show done right. I just love how they don't force anything. Their primary goal is to teach a lesson to kids that they can live out in their everyday lives, and they seem to do it flawlessly. The thing I loved the most though, is that they sprinkle in teaching kids other things, such as letters and such, without forcing a thing.

For example, in the "Daniel's Picnic" episode, Daniel, Prince Wednesday, and Miss Elaina are picking out a fruit to eat from the picnic basket. Now it seemed that they also wanted to teach kids the names of a couple fruits and the letters they started with, so instead of saying "This is an apple. It starts with A" like many shows would do, it takes a unique approach by instead having the characters play a game/rhyme of sorts, and has them say "I want a fruit that starts with the letter g! I want the grapes" kind of thing.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I watched it today, and the refrences were great! Lady Elaine says "Boomerang Toomerang", and Katerina says meow meow, and in shortr it seems they really thought before they just ruined classic characters. (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse)

Hubert

Reaction score
I watched it today, and the refrences were great! Lady Elaine says "Boomerang Toomerang", and Katerina says meow meow, and in shortr it seems they really thought before they just ruined classic characters. (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse)
Yes, I mean, everything they are doing is great. They aren't trying to be a kid's show like many of the ones out there, they're doing their own thing. There are lots of little references peaked in here and there, like you said, which I really like.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Yes, I mean, everything they are doing is great. They aren't trying to be a kid's show like many of the ones out there, they're doing their own thing. There are lots of little references peaked in here and there, like you said, which I really like.
I agree! I saw the Find A Way To Play Together episodes today where Prince Wendsday wants to be a dinosaur.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I like your avatar, Dominicboo! :smile:

This was nice at introducing Daniel to a new generation of kids who weren't even alive when Mr. Rogers passed away, and they included a few musical cues and such from the olden days (that's Mr. McFeeley who lets us know this show was made possible by "Viewers like you".

It's too bad he doesn't live in the clock in the Neighborhood of Make Believe (but he does have a split-level tree and a family).

Unlike Barney and a few other kiddie shows I'd rather not mention, at least here is a show parents can actually watch with their kids, and not have their stomachs turn.
And kids are not being talked down to or pandered to. Good job to everyone involved, you guys got it right! (Two thumbs up)

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I like your avatar, Dominicboo! :smile:
This was nice at introducing Daniel to a new generation of kids who weren't even alive when Mr. Rogers passed away, and they included a few musical cues and such from the olden days (that's Mr. McFeeley who lets us know this show was made possible by "Viewers like you".

It's too bad he doesn't live in the clock in the Neighborhood of Make Believe (but he does have a split-level tree and a family).

Unlike Barney and a few other kiddie shows I'd rather not mention, at least here is a show parents can actually watch with their kids, and not have their stomachs turn.
And kids are not being talked down to or pandered to. Good job to everyone involved, you guys got it right! (Two thumbs up)
I like yours too. In many way Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood is to Mr. Rogers as the Muppets was to The Muppet Show. It's faithful, fun, and shows actual hard work from someone who truly loved the show when they were younger.