Cyndi Lauper EP Released!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I am glad to report that after a year of delays some new Cyndi Lauper material is now available in stores! It's not the album that was planned, but this EP titled "Shine" contains 4 songs and a remix of the title track. The cover art shows a simple close-up of a brunette Cyndi. I wonder how long she’ll commit to that color?

"Shine" is the rather charged title song about individual potential. It really showcases Cyndi's always-strong vocal chops and high energy. This is definitely the strongest single.

"It's Hard To Be Me" slams the current state of the entertainment industry with a very pop beat. Cyndi's tongue-in-cheek lyrics mock the vacuous and over-exposed entertainers of today. No names mentioned here, but I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.

"Madonna Wh*re" points out the hypocrisy in the world's view of women while embracing all a woman can be. It is not as strong as the other songs but quite an anthem for apolitical feminism.

"Water's Edge" is a ballad sung the way that only Cyndi can. There's just something so honest and hopeful about her voice that can inspire no matter what the lyrics. Some would argue that this is where Cyndi really shines.

"Shine (The Illicit Mix)" is the kind of over-produced dance mix that sound best in a club environment. I do like it, but the original is far superior to this remix that drums much of the life out of the song. That’s the nature of the remix anyway.

I am amazed how difficult it is for a real artist to release an album these days. In a world of Brittany Spears "Milli-Vanilli" types who have little to say but "look at my boobs and oh, yeah - drink Pepsi" it astounds me that Cyndi - who has proven her talent, who can perform live without a back-up track and who still has much to say - can't get this music to the public!

What I do find encouraging about this release is that is seems the fans were instrumental in it. The label and credits reflect that this release was put out by the fans (Rella Music/cyndilauper.com) with some help from Oglio Entertainment.

Power to the fans! And this, just as Palisades involvement with us Muppet fans, proves that we as fans do have the power if we can learn to focus it.
:smile:

beaker

Reaction score
>>>What I do find encouraging about this release is that is seems the fans were instrumental in it. The label and credits reflect that this release was put out by the fans (Rella Music/cyndilauper.com) with some help from Oglio Entertainment.

Power to the fans! And this, just as Palisades involvement with us Muppet fans, proves that we as fans do have the power if we can learn to focus it<<<

That's th einteresting thing Jamie...this new millennium proves for at least some things, how much power we now yield. back until the late 90's fans just had to take whatever's what they day whatever is released. Now? Through forums, feedback, emails, fans actually in the field of whatever genre, etc. we have a lot more creative consulting or more on various media.

Like you mentioned, I had no idea just how involved Ken would get with us fans when it came ot the Muppet line.

Btw, good to see Im not the only twenty somethinger relishing in the glory of the 80's! And yes, i love my doot doo doot synthpopy electronic music!

Luke

Reaction score
Cool news !

Luke
(who also noticed you slipped yet another 'boob' comment in - hehe)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Just to clear things up.

Cyndi is not just a retro-act. She has not been the center of entertainment since the 80s but has had a career. I do like 80s music too, but that is not all that Cyndi is.

1980 - Blue Angel (first band she was in)
1983 - She's So Unusual
1986 - True Colors
1989 - A Night To Remember
1993 - Hat Full Of Stars
1994 - Twelve Deadly Cyns... And Then Some
1996 - Sisters Of Avalon
1998 - Merry Christmas ... Have A Nice Life
2002 - Shine (EP)

radionate

Reaction score
Jamie,

Don't forget about her duet with Ol'Blue Eyes himself, Frank Sinatra!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Didn't forget about that. LOL Just didn't want to list all the singles and compilation albums because that would be a bigger list. Trying to forget about her cover of Disco Inferno though. :confused:

sidcrowe

Reaction score
I've said it before and I'm sayin' it again:

Testify, Froggy!

New Cyndi:big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

I never got a chance to grab "Hole in my heart that goes all the way to China," before Napster was shut down.

That's right, Cyndi's no retro act!

While the 80s produced a lot of cheesy stuff, Cyndi's enthusiasm and wackiness were genuine, and while some folks may have interpreted it as clowning, I think she was representing what it really means to be an individual.

I don't think Froggy and I are getting our geezer pleezers and living in the past when we lament over the sad state of today's music; it's really terrible today, and I blame technology. Since everything is delivered so fast, stupid people consume it and demand more---quickly.

That's why Britney flourishes--with her overdubs and artificial accoutrements, and her lies and her willingness to cave into Pepsi. She's an empty canvas upon which to sell things. If she's on the radio with her stupid lyrics and Pro Tools--driven vocal talents, it's not challenging, and idiots will pay more attention to the ads.:mad:

OH, THANK GOD FOR NEW CYNDI LAUPER STUFF!!!!!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Wow! You've said it even better than I could! Geez! Kudos to the Sid-man!

I could try to make an mp3 of the track you want. Tell me and i'll try it out.

sidcrowe

Reaction score
Yep, "Hole in my Heart," from the movie soundtrack of the film she did with Jeff Goldblum: Vibes.:cool:

That movie did NO business, and the soundtrack vanished.:frown:

I LOVE the song, but it doesn't appear on 12 Deadly on either the American or Japanese versions.

If things work out for an mp3, lemme know:smile:

Fave line from that movie, Goldblum to Lauper while in the bar: "Would you like them to just run a hose from the bar to you?":big_grin:

(I think the quote may be a little off)