Could Disney be selling The Muppets?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I think we're faced with a double edged sword to a degree with Disney owning the Muppets. In one hand, it's become increasingly clear that Disney's handling of the Muppets has been far less then stellar. In the other hand, Disney has the most potential (and financial capabilities) to really make the Muppets return to their glory if not some other level of notability and celebrity... in a positive way of course.

Luke

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
As for buying the "Muppets brand" i thought the hole deal of Disney buyin them (the Muppets) was to make $$$ of em with toys, close, DVDs, cds, The Disney parks etc and shell out somthin NEW every..... ONCE in a blue moon! btw are you 100% sure that the Muppet Puppets are not stored outside Disney? i thought they would be? I know Puppet Heap now bilds the puppets for Disney now. and other question is (and i've wondered this for somtime now..) how does the puppeteers/Muppeteers thing work now Disney gets on the horn with JHC says "hey we need steve (or dave, Eric or bill or whoever) for such and such" and JHC calls the Puppeteer/Muppeteer and says "hey Disney needs kermit (or Gonzo or Pepe or Fozzie) for such and such", does Disney pay Henson and then Henson pays the puppeteer(s) or what?
They bought the "Brand" and put it under Consumer Products, not any of the actual TV production departments so yeah their main aim is to sell stuff rather than to make TV or movies. I don't think a lot of people understand that - yeah they are controlled by licensing people instead of TV people, and may throw us a TV show or a movie once in a blue moon but it's to promote the products rather than for the products to promote the shows. It really oughta be the other way around. I'm pretty sure the puppets are stored outside Disney, but as to whether they are at Henson where the Muppeteers can access them or whether Puppet Heap sends people out with them i don't know. As far as i know the way it works is as you say, Disney pays Henson and Henson pays the puppeteers. Unless it's changed since and they've all gone freelance, but i doubt it. They have a four year agreement to do this with some kinda extension i think.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'd say that Diz has made it quite obvious that they have no idea what to do with The Muppets.

Or Mickey Mouse for that matter.

(Aw, SNAP! Burn! I cut The Cheese to the quick, didn't I? I just want them to prove me wrong and stop using well-loved characters only as corporate symbols.)

At least the merchandise is quality. Well, where Master Replicas is concerned it is.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Did you just say you cut the cheese?
*sniff sniff
Ooh! Chili!

D

Dil

I wished Disney learned to do as good as what the Jim Henson Company did during the 80's. ALL of the Disney Muppet Movies done by Disney, itself, is NOT AT ALL AS GOOD AS THE EARLY MUPPET MOVIES, and spoofed and not regular Muppets.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Luke said:
The only difference now is that even LESS is happening than under JHC, the sad truth is that Disney only really bought the Muppets to sell merchandise and make money from the tape library and DVD sales, anything else is just a bonus.
If that is true, then why have there only been six Muppet DVD releases from Disney since Disney bought the Muppets? Why didn't Disney release any Muppet DVDs in 2006 (yes, I know that the second season of TMS was planned)? Why hasn't The Muppet Show or any Muppet specials been rerun on any Disney-owned channels? Hardly any old Muppet productions have been broadcast on The Disney Channel or ABC Family since Disney bought the Muppets.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
As he said: "LESS is happening..."

You're only pointing out the syndication of the shows or sales on DVD; keep in mind that they have done more than just that: toys, collectibles, "a" cd, books, posters (other things in print), ornaments, clothing, collectibles--ever seen the merchandise section at www.muppets.com (is that even still on?) That's a small list, but it encompasses a LOT.

The best thing so far (since Palisades action figures) is the Master Replicas line--that's awesome. I hope that continues.

The other merchandise so far has been a little less than flattering.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
As he said: "LESS is happening..."

You're only pointing out the syndication of the shows or sales on DVD; keep in mind that they have done more than just that: toys, collectibles, "a" cd, books, posters (other things in print), ornaments, clothing, collectibles--ever seen the merchandise section at www.muppets.com (is that even still on?) That's a small list, but it encompasses a LOT.

The best thing so far (since Palisades action figures) is the Master Replicas line--that's awesome. I hope that continues.

The other merchandise so far has been a little less than flattering.
I thought that somebody was implying that Disney only bought the Muppets to make DVD releases and show past productions on TV. I am aware of the other merchandise. Some seem to think that Disney only bought the Muppets for their past works, but not much of their past work has been seen or released since Disney bought them, and I feel like there are too many new things.