Cookie Monster makes SNL audition tape on YouTube

minor muppetz

Reaction score
UGH. I am sick and tired of Frank being the end all be all of the character. David is doing just fine, and has been for years. David IS Cookie as far as I'm concerned. If Frank wants to come back and do a couple skits on Sesame Street in between whatever he's doing, that's great. But David and Eric have been doing solid. Heck, I don't even notice anymore. Eric has absorbed Grover flawlessly.
When was the last time Frank Oz performed Cookie Monster (or Bert)? I know he last performed Grover in season 40, but it seems like its been forever since Oz performed Cookie Monster.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
UGH. I am sick and tired of Frank being the end all be all of the character. David is doing just fine, and has been for years. David IS Cookie as far as I'm concerned. If Frank wants to come back and do a couple skits on Sesame Street in between whatever he's doing, that's great. But David and Eric have been doing solid. Heck, I don't even notice anymore. Eric has absorbed Grover flawlessly.
I agree. As much as I've complained about some of the recent bone-headed executive decisions at Sesame Street, the performances haven't been this good in years! Everybody is in top form. Except for the rare wave of the puppet, Frank is retired. :insatiable: :super:

beaker

Reaction score
Oh man, I wasn't expecting this! It's very cool to see Sesame doing exclusive youtube viral content like the Muppets.

By itself, this is a seriously good spoof of SNL. SNL of course while long lampooning Muppets, had real Muppets on in 1975-1976, and in december 2004 with Kermit, Fozzie and Animal

By the way, this is still the best youtube exclusive Cookie Monster video: Rocket Boom interview!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqz9ZXUoUcE

Don't forget those with Facebook pages, he actually WANTS to get on SNL the same way Betty White did. And YOU can make it happen... if you have a facebook, that is. I don't.
I love the idea, but if we're to be serious about a Muppeteer and his signature character hosting a 90 minute live show(that will include a lot of inuendo/envelope pushing material) it HAS to be Kermit.

I say there should be a petition to have Kermit host. Parents would be way too upset if Cookie was involved in less than PG related skits, and he just doesnt have the wide range of voices or shutzpuh to be dynamic.

beaker

Reaction score
You know, people at Tough Pigs are saying that this is what Betty White did to get a hosting gig on the show, and I can't help but wonder why "Weird Al" Yankovic hasn't done something like this (at least as a parody) to get on the show.

If Cookie Monster succeeds, I wonder if they'll put something on the stage to hide the performer from the live audience, or if the performer will be there on stage for the live audience to see (I think that's what was done during the Gortch years, and it's not like Sesame Street's target audience would be watching the show live in the studio).
I doubt it, least not all the time. Many Muppets and Sesame Muppets appear routinely on day time and night time talk shows, as well as game shows and other programming in which the audience can see the performer but the camera stays panned up. (especially easier in the editing room)
The media and industry treats the Muppets as actual celebrity actors, so it'd be no problem to go that route.

beaker

Reaction score
Oh Eric is totally flawless with the Muppet characters, and also with Grover. Rudman's Cookie sounds and acts just like them.

I need to see footage of the Muppets Ahoy! performances of the signature Muppets by other performers, but I do fear Goelz someday retiring as I am not sure someone could replace Gonzo. To me Piggy, Animal and Fozzie are perfect as they are.

Hmmm, not sure about this. Especially since it's not Frank Oz... and it's obvious. I'm one of the biggest Muppet fans you'll ever meet but honestly, is this going too far with the FB/SNL petitions? Since the Betty White thing I've been invited for numerous "hosts" for SNL on FB. If Frank Oz were to play Cookie than I'd be a little more open but, eh. This just doesn't do it for me.
He sounds just like Cookie to me, and Ive been a fan of Cookie for over three decades. Miss Piggy and Fozzie, also Oz signature characters as well sound act (to me at least) just like if Oz were still performing him.

I agree tho, about being hesitant...tho my reasoning is it needs to be the MUCH more versatile Kermit the Frog

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oh Eric is totally flawless with the Muppet characters, and also with Grover. Rudman's Cookie sounds and acts just like them.

I need to see footage of the Muppets Ahoy! performances of the signature Muppets by other performers, but I do fear Goelz someday retiring as I am not sure someone could replace Gonzo. To me Piggy, Animal and Fozzie are perfect as they are.

He sounds just like Cookie to me, and Ive been a fan of Cookie for over three decades. Miss Piggy and Fozzie, also Oz signature characters as well sound act(to me at least) just like if Oz were still performing him.

I agree tho, about being hesitant...tho my reasoning is it needs to be the MUCH more versatile Kermit the Frog
We've already seen Kermit appearances on shows and skits, but Cookie would be something new! That's the draw. Plus, you're forgetting that this is a Sesame Workshop attempt and not a Disney one. If not Cookie, then what other Sesame character would you want to host? I think he's the safest Sesame choice due to his uninhibited nature. Personally, I support the idea of Cookie Monster very much and hope that he gets this one-in-a-million shot at hosting SNL. I'd also expect a few odd cameos here and there. :insatiable:

Mupp

Reaction score
Don't forget those with Facebook pages, he actually WANTS to get on SNL the same way Betty White did. And YOU can make it happen... if you have a facebook, that is. I don't.
I don't either.

But I have to say that its refreshing to finally find someone else who isn't on Facebook.

I really hope that Cookie gets on SNL though!

I agree.
David and Frank are doing great.

beaker

Reaction score
We've already seen Kermit appearances on shows and skits, but Cookie would be something new! That's the draw. Plus, you're forgetting that this is a Sesame Workshop attempt and not a Disney one. If not Cookie, then what other Sesame character would you want to host? I think he's the safest Sesame choice due to his uninhibited nature. Personally, I support the idea of Cookie Monster very much and hope that he gets this one-in-a-million shot at hosting SNL. I'd also expect a few odd cameos here and there. :insatiable:
Oh Frogboy, as a live long Muppet/Sesame/all things Henson fan like you, just on that level itd be a crazy dream come true. You saw how excited the audience got, the gasps and claps when Kermit, Fozzie and Animal showed up in late 2004. And as a fan of SNL, I love unorthodoxed guests.

Cookie's appearances on both Colbert Report and the online show Rocket Boom proved he can be edgy, topical, funny in his own innocent way. But how dynamic could he be for a 90 minute show? With Kermit, I could see him dressing in drag, doing celebrity impersonations, even poking fun at the perception of puppets and the Muppets.

Obviously, I cannot think of other adult Sesame characters (adult as in meant to be grownups, like The Count and not kids like Elmo, Zoe, Big Bird, etc) that would be perfect besides Cookie. And definitely NOT as iconic and well known.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I love the idea, but if we're to be serious about a Muppeteer and his signature character hosting a 90 minute live show(that will include a lot of inuendo/envelope pushing material) it HAS to be Kermit.

I say there should be a petition to have Kermit host. Parents would be way too upset if Cookie was involved in less than PG related skits, and he just doesnt have the wide range of voices or shutzpuh to be dynamic.
Way I see it, I'd love for the Muppets, not just Kermit, but Fozzie, Gonzo, Miss Piggy... etc. Having the Electric Mayhem be the sit in band. The first time since that 2000something appearance for the Christmas episode... have them crash one of the skits where the cast dresses up as them and complain about how they act NOTHING like that and preceed to act EXACTLY like that (or moving the human members only to find hands sticking out from under them)...

However, Sesame Street is VERY close to where SNL is taped. So there's no call for him to not make a special guest appearance somewhere. Heck, when they did that 30 Rock episode, they used Sesame Street specific puppeteers and Sesame Street brand anything muppets. Cookie and or Grover would fit perfectly in with the cast... I don't see Elmo or Big Bird or even Ernie and Bert pop up anywhere, though.

That said, if Cookie Monster WAS a guest host it would give me a reason to watch. Other than the rare occasions where Tina Fey came in to mock Palin, there hasn't been anything remotely interesting on the show for years.