Controversial Cartoon

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
What it reminds me of, and a prime time that such a character could have been used by Sesame Street in America (probably even before Cantus Rock was born!) was Ryan. Anybody remember him? He got AIDS through a blood transfusion if I remember correctly (it's been so long ago now that even I can't recall it--but, that's not unusual). He's dead now, but he was the center of national (maybe international) attention. Elton John and Michael Jackson both hopped into the scene to do nice things for him and help him out. I think it was also a turning point in Elton's career and he gave up his boozing and carousing during that time.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
My opinion on the subject is pointless, I've just become a huge fan of your work, Jay ever since you pointed it out to me a couple weeks ago, I love whatever you do. Yer' page is bookmarked under my favorites.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Hmm...yeah Foz that doesn't ring a bell with me...

But, just because things are before my time doesn't mean I don't know about them, generally. I am a student of the world, mind you. :wink:

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Ryan White was born in 1971 with hemophophilia, a blood disorder that means his blood did not clot. Ryan received IVs of something called Factor VIII twice a week. Factor VIII contained the clotting agents he was missing but it was made from blood. In the 70s and early 80s we were just beginning to become aware of AIDS and there was no testing of blood donations or blood products.

In December of 1984 Ryan had surgery due to pneumonia and doctors realized he had AIDS. He was given 6 months to live.

Ryan was determined to go on with a normal life. He tried to go to school but the school tried to kick him out. After a lot of fighting he was allowed to return to school but faced continuous discrimination. He was not allowed to use the regular cafeteria flatware. He was not allowed to use the same bathrooms or water fountains as the other students. Kids vandilized his locker. The rest of his community was no better. His mother was labeled an unfit mother. Vicious lies were spread about him. After several yeas of struggling to educate their community and find acceptance, his family moved to a town more willing to learn about AIDS.

In the new town he continued his life and continued to fight AIDS discrimination. ABC made a TV movie about him called The Ryan White Story. He testified before the President's Commission on AIDS. (you can read a poorly transcribed copy of his testimony here:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Exhibit/8222/rwtest.htm)

Federal legislation helping with the health care costs of AIDS was named after him (The Ryan White CARE Act) because his "courageous struggle with HIV/AIDS and against AIDS-related discrimination helped educate the nation."

Ryan White died in 1990.

Kami isn't coming to the US and these discussions got out of hand when she was first announced for the South African SST and Congress failed to understand the difference between South African SST (Takalani Sesame) and American SST. Please keep in mind that this is a very sensitive subject with strong feelings on all sides.

Personally, I find it very sad that 15 years after his death we are still fighting the same battles about AIDS education and the lack there of.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
MuppetQuilter said:
Personally, I find it very sad that 15 years after his death we are still fighting the same battles about AIDS education and the lack there of.
Agreement! Not saying through SS, but there does need to be better education.

Jay, start another thread which introduces your comic art website rather than one in particular that has a subject matter to it. I think the subject of the comic strip became the topic of the thread by accident.

However, you should be proud of this comic strip in particular. As Pres. of the Mid-South Cartoonists Association, I would say such a comic strip (whether or not it's an editorial comic strip) that generates this much conversation (and/or controversey as it might be implied) is a comic strip which definitely has done it's job!! Way to go! :excited: Pat yourself on the back, man.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
lowercasegods said:
Thank you, Fozzie Bear. I'll follow your advice.
I made a mention of your artwork last night at the Mid-South Cartoonists Association dinner meeting. I didn't take a link, though. Get some folks in your direction.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the professional shout out, Fozzie Bear (ironically, my pen name has been The Foz since the sixth grade). You're the man...er...bear!