Classic Shows on DVD`s

pkcckp

Reaction score
Why don`t they release some of these classic Sesame Street episodes
on DVD sets?

There are so many shows being commercially released these days.
Why not release some 1969-82 Sesame Street uncut shows possibly with some extra
stuff like interviews at the end of the shows.

I wish they would also release the 1967-79 Mister Rogers episodes that no longer play on PBS. Instead of having all these old films locked away in a vault someplace I bet the legal owners of these shows would profit greatly by releasing some of the old shows.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly why they don't put classic SS on DVD. I also dont understand why they don't put Classic Sesame Street back on TV. I mean for 4 years they had Sesame Street Unpaved on Noggin. Although it was only on in the early hours of the morning, it was still nice to watch and I'm really glad they did air it. It seems as though it was just one of those one time things though. They cancelled it in the spring of 2003, and they act as though they have no intentions whatsoever of returning it to TV. I was really hoping this new Sprout Channel meant a comeback for classic Sesame Street, but I was wrong. I wonder if one day they will release some old episodes on DVD and make up for all this time that has been wasted on other kids shows that took the place of Classic SS. I guess only time will tell.

suggsy

Reaction score
I don't need uncut episodes since most were a collection of shorts that would run in constant rotation.

What I'd like to see is some best of long form dvds. How about a 3 dvd set of the best of Ernie and Bert? That would sell both for the kids market and the nostalgia market. Go from the 70's to today. Follow that up with best of Grover, best of Cookie Monster, best of Count, etc.

There are a lot of Sesame street dvd's out but they are mostly new programs and only a 1/2 hour long.

Rosewood

Reaction score
As much as I dislike the SS of today...........

Even though I may not really like the way SS is portraying itself today, there may still be a positive side to all that we are having to put up with here. I read in the Sesame Workshop news a while back that they were in the process of transfering all of the old episode reels onto DVD, and as they are doing so, they are digitaly enhansing as many of the old films as possible. I know they have done it with a few old classics, like the one with Ernie sitting in the long square bathtub, covered in bubbles, and singing "Rubber Duckie".
You can tell its an old, enhansed film due to the fact that the picture is clear and the colors are enhansed and brighter - all except for Rubber Duckie which appears to be a greenish shade. But, after seeing that same clip from a copie of the original film, I would take the enhansed version with the greenish duck! The quality is much better. Unfortunately, I don't think they will be releasing any enhansed versions of old SS episodes in general. I think the only reason they are enhansing the old clips that they are is to make them so they don't look "Old" compared to todays new material. But I'll try to be optomistic. Honestly, there is nothing I would love to see more than a collection of old vintage SS episodes that have been given the "make over"
that they deserve and released to the public. I'd buy them in a minute! :wink: