Christmas: Are they shoving it down our throats too early?

Drtooth

Reaction score
How about the way they treat "Linus and Lucy" was a Christmas song, even though it's pretty much the unofficial theme song for almost all PEANUTS specials?
Wasn't it the song they were dancing to everytime Charlie Brown wanted attention when he was directing the play? I see the association at least. But you're right. it's the official theme song of the Peanuts completely, even when it isn't used in the specials. Meanwhile, it's a shame they never released soundtracks for other Charlie Brown and Snoopy specials. Except for that rare LP of Flashbeagle, but I don't really count that as it isn't even as available as the Christmas Special's soundtrack is. I know there's an expanded version of the Christmas soundtrack, but it only has like 2 Great Pumpkin musical pieces on it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wasn't it the song they were dancing to everytime Charlie Brown wanted attention when he was directing the play?
As well as when Linus and Lucy went out looking for a pumpkin at the beginning of Great Pumpkin (and later when Lucy went to fetch Linus at 4:00 in the morning), and also when Snoopy is cooking up popcorn and toast and such for Thanksgiving.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Ahh, Peanuts music. Most Christmas music annoys me, but there are pieces from the original Peanuts special that, for me, evoke the season in a very pleasant way. The song sung in the background of...jeez, it's been so long since I've seen it, I think it's when they're skating on a pond. Another instrumental piece that begins with a cascade on the piano. And, of course, the dance music. Wish I knew the names of any of these pieces. Well, I think that one of the last two I mentioned is called Linus and Lucy, but heck if I know which.

And The Count mentioned one of my favorite seasonal movies, The Nightmare Before Christmas. I just watched that a few days ago. For me, the song What's This? is a hundred times more Chritmassy than crud like We Need A Little Christmas, which if you've ever seen Mame is not a happy Christmas song at all. It's as depressing and desperate as Cabaret.

Wow, I just went on a rant about show tunes. Sometimes I impress and disappoint myself at the same time.

Edit: I do believe I have experiences Ziffelization.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Retail ALWAYS starts up the Christmas hype IMMEDIATELY after Halloween. That's the way it's always been.

But hey, I can top that: back in late spring/early summer, before we even had 4th of July, I already saw Thanksgiving stuff in stores.
I got a tale to tell...

Back in late August, I went to Hobby Lobby (it's an arts and crafts store for those who don't have one in your area) to get some supplies for a sculpture.

I walked past all the regular knick-knack stuff they always have, the floral stuff, found the art stuff, then circled around to the registers...

The Thanksgiving and Halloween stuff was already marked down 40%. That's because there were SIX, count 'em SIX (ah ah ah!) aisles full of Christmas stuff, wrapping paper, decorations, two full aisles of nothing but ornaments, lights, and all that. Plus the back wall was full to the ceiling of wreaths, outside decorations, tinsel and (I'm not kidding) 20 different types of Santa Claus statues. Those loomed behind a bright, blinking display of a Christmas tree forest. Directly behind me was one of those 6x6 display tables constructed into sort of a pyramid with shelves. This contained a Clone Army of nutcrackers. Another one had Nativity sets. It honestly looked like the store had handed their inventory orders to the Count.

When I walked past that stuff, I didn't hold back. I reacted just as Fozzie did when he first saw the Today Show weather map:

I can understand having Christmas fabric in stores beginning in the summer. It takes a while to make quilts, etc. But it's folded up and out of the way. But what I saw in Hobby Lobby...whew!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Aargh! Quick, where's the Tick signal? The army of Santas is back!
:super:
On that subject, I'm kind of depressed Ben Edlund never gave us a The Tick issue 13. Sure, there was an unofficial continuation of issue 13 by the comic company, but I never got around to reading it.

In the comic book continuity, Multiple Santa was one of The Terror's Henchmen. You never saw how that played out, except for the preview cover (of that comic that never happened) of The Tick fighting multiple Multiple Santas. You see, this is when Ben left for Hollywood, first to write for the cartoon series.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Ahh, Peanuts music. Most Christmas music annoys me, but there are pieces from the original Peanuts special that, for me, evoke the season in a very pleasant way. The song sung in the background of...jeez, it's been so long since I've seen it, I think it's when they're skating on a pond. Another instrumental piece that begins with a cascade on the piano. And, of course, the dance music. Wish I knew the names of any of these pieces. Well, I think that one of the last two I mentioned is called Linus and Lucy, but heck if I know which.

And The Count mentioned one of my favorite seasonal movies, The Nightmare Before Christmas. I just watched that a few days ago. For me, the song What's This? is a hundred times more Chritmassy than crud like We Need A Little Christmas, which if you've ever seen Mame is not a happy Christmas song at all. It's as depressing and desperate as Cabaret.

Wow, I just went on a rant about show tunes. Sometimes I impress and disappoint myself at the same time.

Edit: I do believe I have experiences Ziffelization.
I have the Vince Guaraldi soundtrack, and the skating music is called... "Skating"!

"A Charlie Brown Christmas" is still my favorite Xmas special. And I'm with Charlie Brown. The commercial racket Christmas has long since become (run by a big Eastern syndicate, don't you know!) can depress anybody.

Hallmark put out ornaments as early as July.
K Mart opening 8 pm Thanksgiving Day to get a jump on Black Friday. It's only a matter of time before other retailers follow suit, denying employees any chance to spend holiday time with their families.

Even the fact that Linus can still quote the Bible (Luke 2:18-24) impresses and amazes me. So much of the true meaning of Christmas has been squeezed out of society, but thankfully there are still holdouts.
Even if I'm about 7 weeks early, Merry Christmas, everyone. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Even the fact that Linus can still quote the Bible (Luke 2:18-24) impresses and amazes me. So much of the true meaning of Christmas has been squeezed out of society, but thankfully there are still holdouts.

I really wish that those who say that they always try to mask religion unlike the imaginary "good ol' days" would realize that Linus's quote was considered controversial when the special was made back in the 60's. Schulz stuck solidly to those guns when just about everyone else in the production kinda gritted their teeth about the whole thing.

As much as I do enjoy the first Charlie Brown Christmas special, I'm the rare breed that actually likes "It's Christmastime Again" over the original. I dunno why. Maybe I'm biased as it has Peppermint Patty and Marcie in it, maybe it's just that Seinfeldish type humor about Sally screwing up her line (I'd almost take that entire sequence and shove that slap bass scene transition music under it and post it on YT if I wanted to bother). But "I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown" isn't as fun to watch. Especially since they already animated the bit about Spike being raised by Lucy in The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show.

Still, I'm extremely happy I got the Earthworm Jim DVD set for Christmas last year. That's, like, my favorite Christmas special right there. it's absolutely insane and a delightful spin on the cartoon hero saves Christmas cliche.