Characters who met Snuffy before episode 2096

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
As a lot of you know, in November 1985, episode #2096 to be exact, all the SS humans (with the exception of Olivia who was busy on 227 at the time) met Big Bird's friend Mr. Snuffleupagus for the very first time. Prior to this, they all believed he was Big Bird's imaginary friend, because of the coincidental fact they never were around when he was around, and vice versa. It was all a matter of bad timing, sometimes to the very second. Talk about a bad twist of faith huh? Anyways there seems to be some poor continuity on Sesame Street, because some of the SS Muppets actually met Snuffy prior to that day. Here is a list of Muppets who met Snuffy prior to that episode.

The Count
Elmo
Oscar
Bert
Forgetful Jones (Not the best example, considering he forgot he had met him, but still.....)
Dr. Nobel Price (actually met Snuffy's cousin Abigal, but same difference)

The biggest question I have here is. If they knew who Snuffy was, why didn't they ever try to back Big Bird up when he told the humans about Snuffy? It seemed like a major plot hole in the show. Did they worry that the humans might think they were crazy? It seems like one of Sesame Street's biggest plot holes.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Lol, good point, you'd think one of them would back up Big Bird a little bit!

We had a similar discusson before, about how silly it was for the adults to not believe in Snuffy, when they're talking to an 8 foot bird!

anytimepally

Reaction score
I don't know about the others, but Oscar would probably not back him up just to be contrary :grouchy:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I read about a sketch where Ernie looked out his window and saw Snuffy and told Bert, but when Bert looked out the window, Snuffy was gone, and thought that Ernie was imagining him, and shortly afterwards, Bert looked out the window and saw him, but Ernie thought Bert was imagining Snuffy, and then Bert was unsure as to whetehr he had actually saw him.

It seems like the main humans had to be the only characters to see Snuffy to determine whetehr he was real. Although I have read that Uncle Wally believed in Snuffy's existence, claiming to have encountered several Snuffleupaguses in his travels. I've read that he was a teller of tall tales, so I guess the others didn't beleive him.

Since Olivia wasn't there when they met him, I wonder if she believed that Snuffy was real after they told her about him. I don't think Olivia was the only human not to mee thim.. In all the clips and pictures that I've seen from that scene, I never saw Willy or Mr. MacIntosh there.

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
Your'e right Minor Muppetz, uncle Wally did in fact believe Big Bird about Snuffy, because he had seen Snuffleupaguses in his travels around the world. Your'e right about the humans probably thinking Uncle Wally was telling stories. But Uncle Wally started on the show in 1984, Snuffy was seen a year later. So that concept didn't last very long. I remember an episode from the 1984-85 season (possibly one of Uncle Wally's first appearances) where Big Bird wants Uncle Wally to meet Snuffy but Uncle Wally ends up falling asleep in Big Bird's nest while he's waiting. When Snuffy comes along, he tells Big Bird not to wake him up because he (Snuffy) never likes to be disturbed during his naps. When Uncle Wally wakes up, Big Bird is disapointed, but Uncle Wally tells him not to worry because he believes him anyways. As far as things go with Olivia. I always thought it would have been nice if they aired an episode a few weeks or even months later where Big Bird states how Olivia was the only one who didn't get to meet Snuffy that day, and she still has that skeptical attitude about him, and finally meets him by the end of the episode. Would have been nice to clear up that plot hole.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I often wonder if it was still hard for the adults to see Snuffy during the early days when they finally met him. It would be weird for them all to spend so much time not seeing him, and then finally seeing him and all of a sudden, they no longer have any trouble seeing him when he's around. But I have read that the episode that was broadcast after they met Snuffy invovled him becoming friends with Big Bird's friends, and I have read about quite a few episodes from that season that feature Snuffy interracting with the humans. Though the 1986 video Learning About Letters never shows Snuffy with anybody except Big Bird.

I wonder if the show's writers and producers planned on having Snuffy be seen by the others a year in advance. Maybe Uncle Wally believing Big Bird was meant to forshadow what would happen a year later.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well, they always plan the next years shows a year in advance. So I guess your answer would be yes they did.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
LincolnHeights said:
Your'e right Minor Muppetz, uncle Wally did in fact believe Big Bird about Snuffy, because he had seen Snuffleupaguses in his travels around the world. Your'e right about the humans probably thinking Uncle Wally was telling stories. But Uncle Wally started on the show in 1984, Snuffy was seen a year later. So that concept didn't last very long. I remember an episode from the 1984-85 season (possibly one of Uncle Wally's first appearances) where Big Bird wants Uncle Wally to meet Snuffy but Uncle Wally ends up falling asleep in Big Bird's nest while he's waiting. When Snuffy comes along, he tells Big Bird not to wake him up because he (Snuffy) never likes to be disturbed during his naps. When Uncle Wally wakes up, Big Bird is disapointed, but Uncle Wally tells him not to worry because he believes him anyways. As far as things go with Olivia. I always thought it would have been nice if they aired an episode a few weeks or even months later where Big Bird states how Olivia was the only one who didn't get to meet Snuffy that day, and she still has that skeptical attitude about him, and finally meets him by the end of the episode. Would have been nice to clear up that plot hole.
Yeah. The two characters had a nice duet of "One Little Star" in "Follow That Bird." It would have been nice if they could have redone that song on the show where they were actually singing together, aware of each other's existence.

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I wonder if the show's writers and producers planned on having Snuffy be seen by the others a year in advance. Maybe Uncle Wally believing Big Bird was meant to forshadow what would happen a year later.
Yes, I believe the show's writers did have plans on making be seen by others a year in advance. I say this because that was the same Season The Count and Oscar first met Snuffy too.

Here is a clip of the first time The Count ever meets Snuffy from Season 16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd_lg6w4UAw

Notice the Count is shocked at first, but is so preoccupied with Counting he gets over it rather fast.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
LincolnHeights said:
As a lot of you know, in November 1985, episode #2096 to be exact, all the SS humans (with the exception of Olivia who was busy on 227 at the time) met Big Bird's friend Mr. Snuffleupagus for the very first time. Prior to this, they all believed he was Big Bird's imaginary friend, because of the coincidental fact they never were around when he was around, and vice versa. It was all a matter of bad timing, sometimes to the very second. Talk about a bad twist of faith huh? Anyways there seems to be some poor continuity on Sesame Street, because some of the SS Muppets actually met Snuffy prior to that day. Here is a list of Muppets who met Snuffy prior to that episode.

The Count
Elmo
Oscar
Bert
Forgetful Jones (Not the best example, considering he forgot he had met him, but still.....)
Dr. Nobel Price (actually met Snuffy's cousin Abigal, but same difference)

The biggest question I have here is. If they knew who Snuffy was, why didn't they ever try to back Big Bird up when he told the humans about Snuffy? It seemed like a major plot hole in the show. Did they worry that the humans might think they were crazy? It seems like one of Sesame Street's biggest plot holes.
Obviously the reason why none of the muppets backed him up because that's just the way the writers wrote the episode.

Also the only muppet I recall meeting Snuffy before the adults was a monster named Mona. Don't know when this was but it was not too long before he rivally became visable to everyone else.