carving polyfoam

piggy989piggy

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a puppet and I only have a foam block does anyone know any methods of cutting the foam I tried to cut it with a kitchen knife but it did'nt went well...

JammieJam

Reaction score
Persona Blades are great for this, they are very sharp and you can bend them to make scoops:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EVEL3W...UTF8&colid=NDV0J1GTECQH&coliid=I1N954IUOQGRWM

For larger cuts you can use an electric kitchen knife. Also cheap scissors are good for shaping, but the foam will dull them so make sure you don't spend much.

Stan Winston School has the first part of their foam shaping video up. They're a great resource.

piggy989piggy

Reaction score

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Persona Blades are great, but I mainly use box cutter blades. They're cheap and with practice, you can make much cleaner and more precise cuts with them than electric kitchen knives. Just be very careful - it's very easy to cut yourself when carving. Always practice proper knife safety and cut away from your hands/body and keep a first aid kit nearby (I often wear cut resistant gloves to protect my hands in case my knife ever slips).

You can look up wood carving tutorials to help get you started (different tools and materials, but the basic principles are the same).