Carroll Spinney/Big Bird

jeremyactor

Reaction score
I was watching SS the other day and saw a new segment with Big Bird and Ernie (I forgot what it was called - but it was basically Find Ernie in one of many exotic locations during a game of hide and seek). Anyhow- I noticed the voice is NOT Carroll Spinney anymore. I didn't hear or read anything - but is he retired now, or semi retired? The voice didn't sound right at all - far too southern, IMO. Just wondering what happened to him, and who's doing Big Bird now?

Jeremy

Lu775

Reaction score
Journey To Ernie

It is someone else doing Big Bird in the Journey to Ernie segments.
Carroll is still around, just doing less than he used to . I'm sure one of the many experts can tell you the name of the guy doing Big Bird for him.... I've blanked out on his name. Sorry!

crazy ernie

Reaction score
The other big bird voice is Matt Vogel. He has also voiced janice and scooter in Muppet Racemania

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's nice to know this, but Carol is still about. He still plays Big Bird and Oscar.

It's just hard to tell, 'cause the Journey to Ernie segment reuse footage. I think they shot it all in a day or two!

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
Carol S. is still Big Bird, Matt Vogel is his sucessor in training, after losing Jim and Richard Hunt I think the Henson and Sesame Street people realized it might be a good idea to get the younger puppeteers trained by the originals to keep the tranistion smoother