Caroll Spinney Book Signing in NYC

Drtooth

Reaction score
I went to the one in Boston last night...

GREATEST THRILL IN MY LIFE!

I even asked the first question (about Picklepuss and Pops on the "WOW! You're a cartoonist " video

Man... I will NEVER part with my aurtographed book!

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jackie
Man, I really wish I wasn't in the middle of exams!!!!
Me too. The one nearest me is the night of the day I'm officially done. I'm trying to convince my mom that inthe midst of moving out, we should drive the two hours to see him!

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Sounds like a great experience. Being here in Australia I cannot get to events like these, I would love to meet someone who had something to do with the muppets. What I feel really sad about though is that I never even got a chance to meet Jim Henson, I would have loved to get an autograph from him, Im only 17 now so was quite young when he died. Its also very sad about those muppet puppets deteriorating like that. Im sure there are many things that us muppet fans dont know about whats happened to various puppets/sets and props. its all a big mystery in the world of muppets but a world I am very happy to be able to be a fan of.

I just try and collect every muppet item I can, thats all I can do being here in Australia.:smile: :stick_out_tongue:

petula

Reaction score
I was there too!

Btw, book signings do not cost money. It's just an opportunity for the store to make money from the book sales. And from what I've seen (one girl was holding at least five books), it works! :smile:

Treelo

Reaction score
Foam breaks down with time and/or use. There is really nothing that can be done about it. The old Muppet puppets that have fallen apart couldn't really be saved. It isn't the fault of the Henson staff - it's just a sad reality.

Hays

Reaction score
What a wonderful, nice man he is! I never knew he had children and grandchildren - he told a story about how his grandchildren call him and ask to speak to Big Bird (and how they tell Big Bird all kinds of stuff they wouldn't tell Grandpa!)

It was amazing to see Oscar live - I'd been explaining and preparing speeches to my little boy in case he got upset about Oscar being a puppet - and then he was WAY more real than he is on TV!

God bless him, when he signed my book, he even threw me a bone - and I fumblingly stepped all over it! I thanked him for being the inspiration to my brief career, and mentioned where I had worked last, and he started a story about an old boss of mine which in my nervousness and excitement I gufuffled all over and ruined. He was incredibly gracious and kind, clearly enjoys having the opportunity to tell his stories.

One funny thing - there was a kid (fortunately not my son!) who was having a serious tantrum near the stage. Mr. Spinney looked over a little helplessly, and then, with a devilish grin, growled "QUIET!" in Oscar's voice. It worked!

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
I was there too, Hays. I was sitting next to the cranky child at the beginning of the evening. Caroll _was_ extremely charming and very, very giving to each person he talked with.

I especially appreciated his story about Big Bird's appearance on Mr. Rogers. He was very funny and animated as he commented on his realization that he was having a 20 minute disagreement with Mr. Rogers of all people.

Another interesting comment that stayed with me was when Caroll commented on how Jim Henson was a very gentle leader and that if Frank Oz had been the sole leader, despite his giftedness in puppetry, things would have been a lot more uptight.

Puppet Builder was there too and he brought his hand built Hip Cat from the Designs and Doodles book, as well as his Kermit puppet which was signed by Jane and Brian Henson. Caroll puppeteered both of them (even going so far as to do his intepretation of Kermit...which was quite fun) and invested a good deal of time talking with and encouraging him. They were really great puppets, too.

After most people had left he shared another story about Jim's leadership. There was a time early on in Sesame Street's production when Caroll was having trouble with the lip-sync for "Everyone Likes Ice Cream". Jim kept encouraging him but Caroll said that he just wasn't able to count the beats right in his head. After a particular take, Caroll recounted how he stood behind Jim who was watching a playback. Jim didn't know Caroll was there. As Jim watched the monitor he quietly said to himself, "Garbage." Caroll felt terrible and told Jim that he shouldn't be working with the Muppets and Jim was surprised and said that it was his performance he was commenting on not Caroll's but that if he heard a little "ding" he would know when to come in. Caroll said he could tell that Jim was fibbing a little bit but that Jim had found a way to point in him the right direction.

I stayed late with a few others...Kristin (Electric Mayhem) was there, as well and we had a very pleasant chat.

Caroll was surprised that I had traveled so long to meet him and was kind enough to draw Big Bird into my inscription. I too was overwhelmed at the prospect of meeting him and found myself just a little tongue tied. But he was very, very kind and afterward allowed me to get my picture taken with him. I thanked him profusely and he told me that since I had traveled 6 hours I could ask for anything. He then allowed me to have my picture taken with him and Oscar despite the fact that he had an early morning ahead of him.

It was a memorable visit and I learned that when someone asks for a little bit of my time and attention at the expense of my own agenda, it's incredibly affirming when you just stop and invest in that person right then and there.

That was the most signifcant gift Caroll Spinney gave to me tonight and I will always remember that.

petula

Reaction score
Guys, thanks for sharing your stories. I haven't read the book yet (saving it for a plane trip tomorrow), but since the nyc signing, I've been craving more!

Hays, wasn't Oscar incredible??? I was overwhelmed. If anyone has pictures, please share. I would love to see them.

Hays

Reaction score
It was an extremely humbling experience. I loved when they talked to each other - like all muppeteers, you don't even notice he's doing both voices.

For those of you who were there, I was the one with the (hopefully not cranky) boy with the baseball hat and baseball who was trying to get the kids to sing. Wish I could have stayed to talk puppets and muppets, but had a 2-hour drive home. Glad to know I wasn't "alone."

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Hays, my entire family thought your son was very well behaved and very cute too!

I heard you bantering with some of the customers and thought for sure you were probably from MC. Glad you you could make it!

BTW, I took tons of pictures so if anyone is interested just send me an e-mail.