Caroll Spinney Book Signing in NYC

Hays

Reaction score
So sweet - thank you! I was very grateful he did so well; after 7pm with a toddler it's always a gamble. I'm still not sure how much he understood (not that it matters)

That must have been your Mom I was chatting with, then! She was very sweet (and a little bewildered that you would drive so far! Little does she know..!)

electricmayhem

Reaction score
All I have to say was that it was just a fabulous experience over all! It was so wonderful listening to Caroll talking and telling his stories. I especially liked when he said how excited he was about the Henson buyback and then went into a story about bouncing Brian on his knee when he was young. And I liked hearing about how he came up for the voice for Oscar and then how he showed it to Jim for the first time. And of course, it was exciting to see him performing Oscar for a little bit :smile: I even got a little teary eyed at times just being there! It was more than worth it the 2+ hour drive and to stay late to take a picture with him afterwards and he was so gracious about it even though he had an early flight. (Thanks Mom!!!!! :big_grin:)

When it was my turn in line I was pretty overwhelmed to be standing there near him too and I could barely manage to say how Oscar had always been one of my SS favorites so he immediately offered to sign my book as Oscar. He's by far one of the kindest, most genuine people I have ever met.

Originally posted by Ol' Buddy Bert
I stayed late with a few others...Kristin (Electric Mayhem) was there, as well and we had a very pleasant chat.
Hi Scott! :smile:It was great getting to meet you! What did you think of that man with the Oscar tatto? I hope you had a safe drive home! I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you Hays but I saw you and your son (he's cute!!). I was the one standing off to the side in between the book shelves with a bright yellow shirt on. I agree, I loved it when he used his Oscar voice to quiet the crying child. Also hi to Puppetbuilder, your puppets were excellent!

:grouchy: :excited:

MuppetFan123

Reaction score
Hey All

Here's some useful info for those that can't make the Caroll Spinney book signing or don't have him coming to your area.

You can order a signed copy of the book from the website of one of the places he will be at on Friday.

The link is: http://www.staceys.com/

The price is $15.26

So, if you can't get out to see him or he's not coming to your town, this is the next best thing !

Take Care

Michael

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Originally posted by electricmayhem
Hi Scott! :smile:It was great getting to meet you! What did you think of that man with the Oscar tatto? I hope you had a safe drive home!
Hey Kristin,

I made it home safe and sound. I was pretty dang tired and sad to leave my family again but my sesame street CDs kept my spirits up and I got to think a lot about life, which was nice.

The man with the Oscar tattoo was something else! I don't know if you heard this but he pronounced Caroll's last name as "Spine-ney" and Caroll quickly corrected him.

I did not like, however, when he gave Caroll the rabbit ears in their picture together.

I got the sense that he wasn't so much a fan but rather a garbage man (which was his job) who likes to be associated with Oscar. He also struck me as being a little lonely and very much enjoying the attention that people were giving him.

On a completely different subject, how did your mom enjoy the event?

Hays

Reaction score
Sorry I missed you, Kristin! I know how you feel about the drive - my extremely patient son and I were in the car from three until six! It WAS worth it, though.

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Glad to hear everyone got home safe! :smile:

originally posted by Scott The man with the Oscar tattoo was something else! I don't know if you heard this but he pronounced Caroll's last name as "Spine-ney" and Caroll quickly corrected him.
I did hear that because I remember how quickly Caroll corrected him because it made me think Caroll was getting annoyed with him...which he probably was and I don't blame him!:smile:

On a completely different subject, how did your mom enjoy the event?
She said it was very fun. I think she was glad that I nagged her into going, heehee:big_grin:

I'm excited because tomorrow is my high school's prom and my brother is going so that means we can use up the rest of the pictures on the roll and get them developed!! yay!

orignially posted by Hays Sorry I missed you, Kristin! I know how you feel about the drive - my extremely patient son and I were in the car from three until six! It WAS worth it, though.
How old is your son? He seemed to be one of the more well behaved ones there!!:big_grin: Glad to see you're raising a muppet fan!!

Hays

Reaction score
He's going to be three in August...I was reasonably lucky, we only had some minor skirmishes involving the train table and him wanting to talk to Oscar. (at least he was saying "excuse me, Oscar, excuse me)

He sang in the car until he fell asleep; we were practicing Big Bird songs for him to sing - he was the one singing the ABC song for the last half of the presentation. Of course, as soon as it was our turn to get the book signed he was struck dumb!

On another note, I wonder what it takes to annoy you if you're Big Bird and Oscar for a living!