Careers

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Well, I've been extremely stressed as of late. Alot of things are building up and pressuring me, and it all relates back to school. And it hasn't even started yet!

I'm worried that I don't have the right courses for post-secondary, since I want to go into an art-related field, but since alot of courses are design, some programs require calculus, or physics. And I would just absolutely die if I had to take those. I have a hard enough time at general math as it is. So I have to find the exact requirements for any programs I am interested in, and I am very worried that they all will need one of these courses, which I won't have. Plus on top of that is the whole build-a-portfolio thing, and that is even more stressing since every place wants different things.
And I'm still not even sure where I want to go with all of this, or if I will even be able to get in! Or if I will even be able to apply, cause of my courses I have or don't have! It's a NEVER ENDING CYCLE!! **implodes**

I know alot of people on here have animation as a career, which is what I'm currently planning on doing. In fact, I'll be doing a co-op at an animation studio, which I am looking forward to. It will be difficult, I'm sure, and I'll just be helping out around the office most likely, but it will be such an amazing experience. And that is also making me nervous. It's a competitive field with not a whole lot fo opportunity, and you have to be GOOD. I keep thinking, what if I'm not good enough?

And normally I'm rather laid-back, but thinking about all of this is completely stressing me out (School brings out the worst in me!). I don't even know what I want to be doing for sure! There's no way I can every requirement for every program. And I don't want my future stunted because I didn't take a certain class. I can't change what I'm taking now, either. And I might even have to take an extra year to get those science and math courses, and I just don't want to think about ANY of this right now. It's confusing and worrying the heck out of me. But unfortunately, I have to think about it.

For those of you who have gone through all this and came out, if not unscathed, at least alive, how did you do it?! It seems like it's just so impossible. :eek: :smirk: :embarrassed:

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't know how I got through school. Like you, I am generally a laid back person. I think that is how you have to be when dealing with a stressful academic career, just play everything by ear and do your best. It helps to find a professor, advisor, etc. who can relate to you and help you get through tough courses. All schools should have some sort of tutoring program you can visit to get help in the harder classes. Stick with it, MrsPepper, I'm certain you'll get through this not only alive but with flying colors. Sorry if I wasn't helpful.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Well; I'm a designer and I can tell you that it's not the easiest field to get into immediately; but it's a great field. As far as school goes, it really depends exactly what you want to do, what specific area of "art" you want to be in. The first school I went to was so that I could major in illustration. This was a four year school, so I had to take other courses in math and english as well. What a nightmare! But the absolute worst were the prerequites for my major. They were terribly boring and of no use to me whatsoever. But I stuck with 'em just to get into the actual illustrating class. And when I got there? What a let down, it was like taking an art class in high school, so I dropped out! I actively sought out to go to Joe Kubert's School of Cartooning, but my father convinced me otherwise and I went to one of those two year tech schools you here advertised on the radio because "computers was where the future of art was at" is what I was told.

So I got a degree in graphic art and design and thought, hey this is it! I'm going to be a professional designer now! Wrong. They were never even able to give me some leads let alone an interview.

Unless you go to a specialized school for whatever field your in that provides you with an internship after graduation along with a written contract that states they will place you in the job market in your field, it's very slim that you'll immediately land a job in your field soon after you graduate. I went to three different schools total for art.

I was a freelance artist for 4 years before I got my first job, but that's okay because those freelance years is what really provided me with more then my school could ever teach me. In fact, when I landed my present job; I was so over qualified but had such a strong portfolio that they increased the budget just to hire me!

Don't stress about a portfolio though; that will happen on it's own, I promise! Eventually you'll have too much stuff to put in there! Hey Mrs. P; if you want, I'd be happy to talk more with you and help in any way I can if you'd like. Drop me an e-mail and we'll chat. :smile:

Vibs

Reaction score
Oh, do I know the feeling. I'm SO tired of school and I'm having the 3 toughest years ahead of me. And what a great start it's been. 10 days ago or so I got pneumonia and it just won't go away and I already have loads of things to catch up on, including the getting to know my class. When I get back in hopefully a few days the others will already know each other and I'll bump in as "the girl who was ill the first couple of days and therefore is a total stranger to the rest of the class". Typical.

Sorry, this is not what this thread is about. I don't really know what I wanna spend my life on doing either. I'm having a hard time picturing me going to work everyday, doing something, then go home, have dinner, read the newspaper, go to bed. I feel like a certain boy from a certain Muppet treasure Island movie when saying this but, there's gotta be something better than that for me.

Anyway, I didn't quite get the course thing because of my daneness I guess :stick_out_tongue: but I'm sure that if other people managed you'll manage too. Hope that helped a little. *Anti-being-stressed-HUG*

Loads of danishes (and in case you don't like danishes, I can offer you a Muffin) ~ Vibs.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind words, you guys. :smile: Vic I think I will email you. It would be good to talk to someone who's already been there. Thank you.
I just feel like I'm running out of time, actually I KNOW I am, and I'm going a bit mad cause of it. I always am so busy, and have so much to do, so it feels so pressing.

dizzyizzy

Reaction score
I definitely know how you feel. I'm a sophomore in college and I just switched my major from early childhood education to art undecided. Eventually, I'll be in the art education program, but I have to submit a portfolio and have so many hours of studio before I can. So I'll definitely be in school for probably another four years. It has been super stressful and I haven't had much guidance with the whole thing. My best advice would be to talk with a specific teacher or someone in the field you want to get into. And since you are wanting to get into some kind of art field and are worried about finding a job, maybe have a minor, or a double major, in business or advertising or something more common where you would be more likely to find a job and get your foot in the door. I hope this helps and good luck with everything! :big_grin: