Brooke Shields Muppet Show episode missing on Disney+

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Did I hear the Brooke Sheilds ep was pretty non-existent on Disney+? If so, thankfully I still have my copy of that one from TimeLife, but I thought I'd ask just to clarify.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's correct. As was said on Friday, this episode is not currently on Disney+ due to music licensing issues, most likely for "We're Off to See the Wizard" from "The Wizard of Oz".

DMHFan

Reaction score
This thread may be old, but, I wonder how expensive and hard it is to license "We're Off to See the Wizard". And what's ironic is that "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", also from The Wizard of Oz, managed to be intact in the Alice Cooper episode from the third season on Disney+.

Last edited:

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
This thread may be old, but, I wonder how expensive and hard it is to license "We're Off to See the Wizard". And what's ironic is that "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", also from The Wizard of Oz, managed to be intact in the Alice Cooper episode from the third season on Disney+.
I am thinking that licensing the song for one episode was cheaper than licensing the song for multiple episodes. I bet that the Alice Cooper episode was the earliest episode in which "We're Off to See the Wizard" was performed.

Regarding royalties, same reason may also apply as to why some animated segments were only seen on one HBO Max offering of classic "Sesame Street" (i.e. "D-dart"), while some classic segments were released on more than one episode (such as "Workmen construct a D building" and "B for certain boy and Bosco in a bath").

DMHFan

Reaction score
I am thinking that licensing the song for one episode was cheaper than licensing the song for multiple episodes. I bet that the Alice Cooper episode was the earliest episode in which "We're Off to See the Wizard" was performed.

Regarding royalties, same reason may also apply as to why some animated segments were only seen on one HBO Max offering of classic "Sesame Street" (i.e. "D-dart"), while some classic segments were released on more than one episode (such as "Workmen construct a D building" and "B for certain boy and Bosco in a bath").
Correction: The Alice Cooper episode actually had "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", and not "We're Off to See the Wizard".

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I just realized something. Could the Brooke Shields episode be unavailable due to the events being almost similar to the events from the 1951 Disney animated film Alice in Wonderland?

DMHFan

Reaction score
I just realized something. Could the Brooke Shields episode be unavailable due to the events being almost similar to the events from the 1951 Disney animated film Alice in Wonderland?
How can that be? Aren't both productions owned by the same company? (Alice in Wonderland and The Muppet Show)

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Well, I don't believe that "We're Off to See the Wizard" was the issue in not releasing the Brooke Shields episode, otherwise the Alice Cooper episode with "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" would have been skipped too.

So it obviously must be a completely different - but undisclosed - issue.

groverandgrapes

Reaction score
hi! they took the episode off disney plus beacause of copyright issues, the only way you can actullay watch it is on the timelife vhs!