Bible Study

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Definitely having a Job moment today. I thought a major prayer had been answered, I was elated. I thought, "See? Things do work out!"....But then it all quickly got screwed up and didn't end up working out. Not life and death, but still very disappointing. I feel like I've slunk back into a mediocre existence and life was just mocking me. Feel like such a loser.

Like in the Job story, I know I shouldn't give up hope, but I admit, my faith has always been weak in that regard.

Last edited:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Definitely having a Job moment today. I thought a major prayer had been answered, I was elated. I thought, "See? Things do work out!"....But then it all quickly got screwed up and didn't end up working out. Not life and death, but still very disappointing. I feel like I've slunk back into a mediocre existence and life was just mocking me. Feel like such a loser.

Like in the Job story, I know I shouldn't give up hope, but I admit, my faith has always been weak in that regard.
Having faith is so hard at times. I've been there more times then I care to remember. Not having a job is one of the hardest things because you feel almost worthless. I know it's hard, but I will pray for you.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Job is a real inspiring book! Here is a man who loved God, and had it all. Saten thought he could get Job to curse God, but no matter what he threw at him he didn't. Then God blesses him, and gives him double.
At the beginning, Satan is hinting that Job may be a fair-weather believer who praises God, and Satan hints that Job praises God who blessed the works of his hands and may be in it for the blessings, but would curse God if those things were taken away (which we later discover to be untrue):

"And the Lord said unto Satan: 'Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in all the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God and escheweth evil?'

"Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, 'Doth Job fear God for naught?'

'Hast thou not made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? Thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.'

'But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.'

"And the Lord said to Satan, 'Behold, all that he hath is in thy power, only upon himself put not forth thy hand.' So Satan went forth from the presence of the Lord." --Job 1:8-12 (KJV)

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Dang, this thread went nowhere. The lord works in mysterious ways...

snichols1973

Reaction score
in the book of Jonah, God demonstrates that his love and concern is for all peoples:

Jonah is called to preach in Nineveh, the capital city of Assyria, and rather than go to Assyria, Jonah takes a cargo ship from Joppa headed westward to Tarshish. This doesn't work, as God sends a storm towards the ship, and the other sailors, many of whom are pagans, ask why the ship is being battered by the storm, so they cast lots, and Jonah is responsible for it. After Jonah agrees to be thrown overboard, the storm calms and Jonah is swallowed by a big fish, where he dwells in the whale's body for three days.

After God hears Jonah's prayer, he commands the fish to vomit him on dry land, and Jonah goes to Nineveh, telling the people that Nineveh would be overthrown in 40 days, so the king, Ninevites, and even the animals are covered with sackcloth, and they fast.

Afterwards when Nineveh is spared, Jonah is angry, mentioning that God was gracious and merciful, slow to anger and of great kindness, relenting of evil. Later on, God allows a giant gourd to grow, whose leaf provides shade for Jonah, who is glad to receive relief from the heat, and then a worm comes and consumes the gourd. When Jonah is angry again, God mentions that if Jonah had pity on a gourd that gave him shade, shouldn't He also be concerned about the Ninevites, who can't discern between their right hand and their left hand? (Some translations render the last part as between right and wrong).

Old Thunder

Reaction score
What happens to Jonah, though? The story left us on a cliffhanger. At least the VeggieTales film cleared it up.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Here's something completely random that could perhaps get the ball rolling on this thread again... does the Bible say anything about sleeping/sleep habits? What about exercise?

Honestly, I'm at the point in my life where religion and family are the only things that fill me these days; I'll be riding down the road, listening to some radio DJ talk about all these temporal political problems mankind has created for itself and it just brings a warmness to my heart to read some witty message left on a church sign. You can't take Donald Trump into the afterlife... all that will be gone one day... this is the stuff I think about at midnight. :big_grin:

Life makes too much sense for everything to just be a 'big bang'... my two cents.

Speaking of sleep habits, I should probably hit the hay myself. :dreamy: Nothing good happens when you're supposed to be in bed; that's what kind of prompted this.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I'm not sure about sleep but here is this

1 Corinthians 9:26-27

“Thus I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing. No, I drive my body and train it, for fear that, after having preached to others, I myself should be disqualified

Isaiah 40:29-31

“He gives power to the faint, abundant strength to the weak. Though young men faint and grow weary, and youths stagger and fall, they that hope in the LORD will renew their strength, they will soar on eagles’ wings; They will run and not grow weary, walk and not grow faint.”

1 Corinthians 6:19-20

“Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been purchased at a price. Therefore, glorify God in your body

Last edited: