Best place to get Puppets for a High School Theatre Group

Mister Hoggoth

Reaction score
you arnt complaing about paying 300 for a custom hand made puppet are you? Count your self lucky he is willing to do such quality work for so little., I have seen his work, he is seriously undercharging.
No I wasn't. I have actually in the past started a thread praising his work. But on a budget of only as little as $500, one has to be a realist.

Mister Hoggoth

Reaction score
Sadly, one thing you have to keep in mind is that puppetry is NOT an in-expensive art form.

Heck, Sid and Marty Krofft at one point were THREE MILLION dollars over budget working on H.R. Pufnstuf.
Yes I know. I have purchased 3 this year alone. But, this is for a high school and my friend is wanting to introduce them to the art, not teach it for a year. The classes are small, but not that small, so people will have to share.

Teenager's

Reaction score
hmmmm.......It would seem to me...that for a high school program aimed at Teaching puppetry and one that's on a budget, it would make sense for the students to build their own puppets and learn to experiment with what works and doesn't work for them.

Going through and learning basics of each style of puppetry would be useful to, and in that way the individual student can learn their own craft.

Lets also not forget that Puppetry is about Performance and not how pretty the puppet is. I would say it would be ideal to start of trying out table-top puppetry made with paper and found objects focusing on performance and characterization, which is what theatre students should learn anyway.

Example, Here is a strong story and performance done with puppets made of masking tape and newspaper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5ecIRz8AFQ

Bob1995

Reaction score
I make all of my puppets, but I'm not allowed to sell any. So this is my advice: puppets built by yourself saves you money. Project Puppet is a great place to learn the ropes of puppet making using their patterns.