Best Muppet Movie

Which is the best Muppet movie in your opinion?

• The Muppet Movie

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Great Muppet Caper

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • The Muppets take Manhattan

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Muppet Christmas Carol

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Muppet Treasure Island

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Muppets From Space

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Muppets 2011

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Muppets Most Wanted

• Muppets Wizard of Oz

• Kermit Swamp Years

• Other/listed below

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
The first one I watched was the Muppets Take Manhattan...at the ripe old age of 4! Then after watching TMM and GMC on VHS tapes, my mom and I went to a theater to see Muppets from Space when I was 6 or 7, which I thought was boring except for the opening "Brick House" morning routine sequence.
Overall, TMM is my favorite. GMC is a super-close second place.
Yeah. When I think about it, I think I liked TMTM best. I believe that was the first Muppet Movie I saw and I've had access to that one for a while since I've had a tape from the old Family Channel maybe back when it was Fox Family before Freeform and before ABC Family, not sure exactly how long ago but I did tape it when I was in college. (Though that version cut out the scene with the late great Joan Rivers. That was kind of disappointing.) Though one big disappointment in that movie is that the :smile::mad: marriage in that one turned out not to be canon, but just a movie thing. But still overall, that was a great movie and it has the honor of being the last one that was made in the Henson era.

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
Yeah. When I think about it, I think I liked TMTM best. I believe that was the first Muppet Movie I saw and I've had access to that one for a while since I've had a tape from the old Family Channel maybe back when it was Fox Family before Freeform and before ABC Family, not sure exactly how long ago but I did tape it when I was in college. (Though that version cut out the scene with the late great Joan Rivers. That was kind of disappointing.) Though one big disappointment in that movie is that the :smile::mad: marriage in that one turned out not to be canon, but just a movie thing. But still overall, that was a great movie and it has the honor of being the last one that was made in the Henson era.
Yeah same! Muppets take Manhattan was the first Muppet movie I saw as a kid on dvd. Then I became a big Muppet fan and my parents bought me a bunch of the movies on dvd.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's hard for me to narrow one down, because almost each of them hold something dear to me for one reason, or another . . . GMC was certainly one movie I probably wore out on VHS as a little kid growing up (MTM to a lesser extent); MTI was one of the first movies I ever saw in theaters, so that was quite an experience to behold; both THE MUPPETS (2011) and MMW are movies I saw in theaters as an adult, and the first time I saw the Muppets on the big screen since MTI, though I wouldn't consider either of them being among the best.

I guess, if I had to narrow it down to one, I'd have to go with GMC, because it has so much going for it: the corny, off-beat, absurd, meta-style humor that you come to expect from the Muppets; a great live-action cast with fun cameos along the way; fun and memorable songs and music scoring by Joe Raposo; really neat and engaging action you don't necessarily expect from the Muppets; and the icing on the cake was it was the first feature-length movie that Jim ever directed . . . I would say it's the quintessential Muppet movie.

MWoO

Reaction score
When I was a kid, MTM was my favorite. However, I think that may have been because it was the only Muppet movie my local video store has to rent and I didn't own it until much later in life. So it was kind of a special treat to watch it. Now, I would say GMC is my favorite movie to watch. TMM I love when I watch clips, but I think GMC's a better over all movie and MTM is too dated.

I think a close second would be the extended cut of MMW, but not the theatrical cut. I think the extended version of MMW has better exposition, a better story flow, and some great jokes that I wish had not been cut.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
I guess, if I had to narrow it down to one, I'd have to go with GMC, because it has so much going for it: the corny, off-beat, absurd, meta-style humor that you come to expect from the Muppets; a great live-action cast with fun cameos along the way; fun and memorable songs and music scoring by Joe Raposo; really neat and engaging action you don't necessarily expect from the Muppets; and the icing on the cake was it was the first feature-length movie that Jim ever directed . . . I would say it's the quintessential Muppet movie.
Yeah, the way I see it is TMM is like let's get the origin story out of the way, whereas GMC is like "now we can finally do something with the characters".

cjd874

Reaction score
Me personally, I though the humor in the first movie was more absurd and laugh-out-loud funny. I also loved the multitude of running gags like Hare Krishna, It's a Myth, and Dr. Teeth's screenplay reading. Lots of memorable one-liners too, like:
:smile:: How'd you learn to drive?
:embarrassed:: I took a correspondence course.

GMC had a more concrete plotline, great development, and outstanding music...but some parts of it were not engaging to me. I know that John Cleese had a sequence, and Miss Piggy did a water ballet thing in the fashion show...but I can't really tell you anything else about those parts. The parts that stand out the most are the ones with the Muppets like "Happiness Hotel," "Night Life," and the showdown at the Mallory Gallery.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
"Couldn't We Ride" underratedly gives "Rainbow Connection" a run for its money as the greatest Muppet song imo.