Bert sees Snuffy

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Recently, the clip where Bert sees Mr. Snuffleupagus has surfaced on YouTube.

Sesame Street - Bert sees Snuffy - YouTube

It is interesting. When Big Bird invites Bert to meet Snuffy, and Bert doesn't want to meet an imaginary friend, I can't quite tell if he's nicer or about the same as the adults are in regards to Mr. Snuffleupagus, but I also can't quite tell if he's nicer to Big Bird about Snuffy than he is when Ernie tries to get Bert involved in something he doesn't want to do.

It's also interesting, it looks like they were deliberately avoiding showing the windows until the very end. Not really sure if that was the case, but they do have Ernie's chair blocking our view of the windows, and most shots of Bert have him at a part of the apartment that doesn't show the window. They clearly had to put up a platform and some kind of street set to show out the window at the end, not sure if it would have made a difference if we had seen it earlier or not.

When Ernie quotes Big Bird with "he's not imaginary, he's real", I like the way Ernie says 'real".

This one only aired in one episode. I feel it should have aired more, until he was shown as real. I wonder if it was because Bert mentioned Mr. Hooper, who died not long after this. Muppet Wiki does note this as a "street scene" with them, I'm not sure if the scripts make a note on if a street scene is meant to be an insert, I know I have seen episode guides that mark the first appearance of certain street inserts as "insert" as opposed to "scene 1" or so on.

This is a good bit, but I almost feel like the part with Bert and Ernie going over imagination and Ernie pretending to eat an imaginary sundae is a little too long.